1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Benson X's 'Bout Time BBQ Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds' started by Benson X, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Benson X

Benson X [OP] ...and we're back!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
    Thanks man. I've had to use the winch maybe 7-8 times now, some at really extreme angles and it's held up fine. I relocated the horns so it is accessible by just reaching behind the grille, and added some LEDs. The control box is mounted to the center brace behind the grille, and has just enough room for the controller to plug in. It can be tricky when winding it back in, but I am OCD when it come to that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't had the front plate on there for a while and have never had an issue, but I put it up on the dash recently, just because.

And I still love the BORA spacers, I recently plastidipped my stock rims, and decided I don't need to buy aftermarket wheels. It looks much better IMO.

2. uncleART

uncleART Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB Sport
    DeBadged, Toyota Bedmat, TRD exhaust, Window tint 30%, DeFlapped the front, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec coil overs, Dakar leafs, LR UCAs, SwayBar relocate, TRD Offroad tow hook, RotoPax, Bora wheel spacers, DeFlapped the rear, Tailgate mod, CBI receiver shackle w/ Bolt Hitch Pin, Goodyear Duratrac 285/70-17, Weathertech Floor Liners, Spare tire mod, UWS toolbox with Bolt Latch Retrofit, Rear Diff vent relocated, Blacked-out grill emblem, Toolbox Bedrail mod, Trailer Plug relocated, Back-Up light mod, ECGS bushing, Redline Hood Struts, Leer 100XR
    Thanks. That's good to know. My spacers are back ordered right now; but Lenny @ Motorsport told me that his CNC machines were tooled up for Tacomas and will have the black spacers in 7-10 days. I didn't want the billet ones, which would have been available in 3.

OCD is a skill !!! Don't let anybody tell you different.

3. Thorny

Thorny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X4 DCLB SR5
    Like the truck! Nice clean look.

4. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
    Thanks Dean, it is definitely not as clean now. I need to go to town with a bucket, soap, clay bar, scratch-x, rotary buffer, and some wax/polish.

I have neglected detailing my truck for almost a year now :eek:

5. LadyTaco

LadyTaco True Blonde O:)

Member:
    First Name:
    Heather
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4
    K&N engine air filter, roof rack, rain guards, bed cover, tail gate lock, flash light mounts, shift knob, light bar, truck bed shovel mount, washable cabin air filter, and Billet Style 14" ANTENNA.
    Hi Ben, I saw you write up on how to make your mounts and gave it a whirl. It was a really fun project for my Dad and I :D, thanks so much for posting that! I ended up mounting my shovel (little, I know :p) on the bottom hole because I needed it to fit under my bed cover. I went ahead and drilled a hole above as you did though, JIC I ever wanted to use it for something else ;). I have since painted them black but haven't gotten a picture yet. Thanks again and I love your truck, great build! :woot:

Shovel Mount.jpg

6. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Hell yeah Heather! Thanks for the kind feedback. It was a fun, cheap, and easy mod, glad you found it helpful! ;)

7. Eazy.E

Eazy.E Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    The Great Northwest (arlington,wa)
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB TRD Sport
    Day time running light mod, Any time fog light mod, locking bed storage box mod, blacked badges, Mag light mount mod, Wubasto sunroof, Weather Tech floor liners, trimmed front mud flaps, Plasti-dipped bumper, yakima bed rail mounted safari rack
    Great build thread, bookmarked for sure!!

8. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Thanks man, feel free to PM/Email me if you have any questions, or need assistance with any mods you plan on doing.

On a side note, I will soon be adding the Dakar add-a-leafs (D29XL) and removing the 1" blocks. They don't really affect the ride too much, but they do put negative flex on the leafs, and I want to prolong the life of the leaf-pack as much as possible.

9. Eazy.E

Eazy.E Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    The Great Northwest (arlington,wa)
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB TRD Sport
    Day time running light mod, Any time fog light mod, locking bed storage box mod, blacked badges, Mag light mount mod, Wubasto sunroof, Weather Tech floor liners, trimmed front mud flaps, Plasti-dipped bumper, yakima bed rail mounted safari rack
    Will definitely do that, I eally appreciate it! I plan on working up to a suspension set up similar to yours, right now I'm going to do 5100's all around and wheelers 3leaf HD progressive AAL with 265/70's. I want to wait to go higher and move up to a 285 tire untill I make the move to get gears. I really like your integrated winch mount, clean and functional. Did your tires rub with the stock sport wheel before you added wheel spacers?
    I have always preferred an AAL over blocks myself;)

10. NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    Dude! Incase you were like WTF that was me today on I-5 in the Subaru. We were coming back from Hood river bachelor party....thus the sausage fest in the car. I kind of freaked my passengers out then I was like...."I know that guys hes fu&king cool"

11. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Hahaha, I knew it was you dude! At first when I heard you honk, I got in "instant defense" mode. Then I was like "KENNY!!! Whaddup man!!!"

I was headed back from the Annual TacomaWorld TSF Camping trip....it was epic! Check out the pics starting here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/no...-scheduled-meet-calendar-114.html#post7067659

12. skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    sold everything
    Well done in the build!! All your diy stuff is great. Ill definitely be using some of your ideas for bed mounting my junk. My bed is a mess right now.

13. Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Where is the new LED bar

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  14. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Thanks TJ! It's still a work in progress (of course), but it does what I need it to!

:thumbsup:

He said he would try to get it out last week, but I haven't heard from him yet. You can expect a full write-up / review when I get it installed.

15. slaphappy

slaphappy Mama didn't raise no fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    River Valley
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road PreRunner
    265/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Authority's, Andre's Devil Horns, Jumper's LEDs
    One word..tasteful!

16. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    [​IMG]

17. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    updated with new LED light-bar mod.

18. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Added the Doug Thorley Y-Pipe last weekend. I really dig the sound with my aFe Cat-back - it reminds me of a 3.4l 1st Gen with an aftermarket muffler; much more throaty than before and not as raspy/tinny/ricey when compared to the triple threat combos I've heard (DTLT, Y-Pipe, Cat-back).

Trying to record an updated sound clip this week. :thumbsup:

19. Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 (read the build)
    Marketing says it sounds more like thphbhbth instead of pbththpbhtbbth

20. Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
To Top