1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bent Steel wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Davell, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    Davell

Davell [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    East Bay,Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    I have a 2010 DC 4x4 with the stock steel wheels. Replaced original tires with larger 265/75/16 and am having a problem with the rims getting bent. I do not off road but my dealership said that the larger tires are the problem. I now have to replace wheels and want to get rims that are stronger. Any thoughts. Not looking to break the bank and actually liked my steel rims.

2. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Find it hard to believe going up 1 tire size and not offroading and you are bending wheels according to the dealer at fault because of the tires. I'd buy a set of TRD o/r for $200.. plenty of people run them with 285s without issues..

3. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Yeah I have a hard time believing this as well. I ran my stock steelies for 3 years and offroaded quite frequently running low psi and on hard rock and never came close to bending one. Steel wheels are not that easy to bend. I think u are being lied to.

4. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Davell

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    Are the aluminum wheels stronger than the steel wheels?

5. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    What are you doing with your truck? Bending wheels is not easy. Aluminum is lighter, not necessarily stronger, but it depends on how you look at it.

I *think* the stock aluminum wheels are a half inch wider than the steelies and would fit that width better.

6. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    Davell

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    Only thing I hit was the usual pot holes. Been driving p/u for years and never had this problem. Dealer said tires are bigger and heavier than original ones but c'mon.

7. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Your dealer is full of crap. How many wheels has this happened to?

8. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    nbitzer

nbitzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Westminster, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Just orders the 5100/AAL lift. 15x8 wheels and 33x12.50 tires...
    Ya I'm with the rest of these guys! I don't see how in the hell you could be bending wheels...Unless you are running like 10PSI in the tires and hitting huge pot holes at 60mph. :)

9. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    Davell

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    Put it this way,already put two from front on the back because of "wheel shake"
    . Problem was better but now same thing with the other wheels up front. I might check balance again as maybe weights came off.Thought it was alignment but was told alignment was not problem. Truck goes straight but you get the shakes at about 60mph

10. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Get a road force balance on all your tires.

11. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Davell

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    Any shop can do this? Should I go to dealer?

12. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Go here and fill everything out to find one near you.

13. Mar 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    Davell

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    Thanks for all the help. Will do some legwork and see what happens.

14. Mar 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    They are right about alignment. Misalignment won't create wheel shake, only uneven wear on tires and steering pull. Sounds like the tires are not balanced properly. It's actually very easy to throw them off balance and create a lot of steering wheel shake. For instance sometimes when I go muddin in thick mud or clay, I will get some that gets stuck on the rim As soon as i drive on pavement my steering wheel will shake very hard like something is really fucked up. So I pull over, clean the mud off my rims and problem solved.

15. Mar 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    2013TuRD

2013TuRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    SW BC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Some steel wheels can be really crappy, I've seen brand new ones that are not straight. They are not really easy to bend.

I've had tires that are not round, or go out of round, and defy efforts to balance them.

16. Mar 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    R these wheels physically bent...
    or simply out-of-round ?

Most wheels are not 100% true (round)
    a wheel that is out-of-round can aggravate balance issues
    worse if the tire is out-of-round too.

If the wheel is physically bent that's one thing...
    If it's just out-of-round...
    a good tire tech should be able to compensate some
    by mounting the tire in a way that counterbalances (offsets)

This often requires turning the tire on the wheel
    45*, 90* or even 180*

Now if a tech might be able to correct the current situation.
    It'd be a good idea to recheck them after awhile...
    just to be sure they haven't become imbalanced again.
    If they do... then maybe the steel is too soft and changing form.
    That would fall on the manufacturer.
    But then... I haven't read much complaint of those wheels.

I'd probably go to a different shop
    and get another opinion from a different tech.

17. Mar 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Davell

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    Toyota service told me that my front two were bent so put them on the back and truck rode good for awhile now same thing. Havent had truck in again but now worse. Will try recommended place in town and see what I come up with. Tires are only 1 1/2 old and drove here from NJ with no problems. (10,000 miles on them).

18. Mar 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    On my '09 I had the steelies and original Dunflops. No real shake, but they made a "wop wop" noise. One of the fronts wore funny, and at 30K miles I had them check them out. They claimed they showed "excessive runout" and that it was normal. That basically means they were out of round -- but they started that way if anything. I got some pull-off aluminum stock wheels and put Michelin LTX tires on and it was like a new truck.

My understanding is that a wheel is marked with a spot that shows its high spot, and a tire has a mark showing its low spot (or vice versa), and those spots should be matched to get a true spinning tire. This may be old news, though.

I think the bottom line is that with that size of tire and those stock steelies, you are going to have a hard time getting rid of a shake at speed. Those tires are a little too wide for those rims and will probably never sit exactly right. I would get some wider rims or narrower tires. But not Dunflops.

19. Mar 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    Davell

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    Are the stock aluminum wheels any wider than the steelies? I know you stated you weren't sure, but if anyone knows pass it on please. The Toyota tech was insinuating the same thing as what you are saying.

20. Mar 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    Just fyi, I ran 265/75/16 BFG KMs on my stock steelies for about 40k miles and didn't have this problem ....
    ury5ejub_359e8c101c747018a8d9bff9875bfbcdad98c277.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top