1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bent Strut?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Creel, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    Creel

Creel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 SWB DC PreRunner OR
    I've noticed that my front passenger tire seems to be leaning in towards the engine. I checked the tire and I did notice more wear on the outside shoulder of the tire than anywhere else. I just got the tires 2 weeks ago so I would think there shouldn't be more wear there than anywhere else. I took a couple of crappy cell phone pictures of the tire. I tried to be as steady as I could taking the pictures.

I had sort of noticed this a few months ago but I thought it was just my tires because they were old and had a lot of wear. I even went to the dealership to get an alignment about 2 months ago and they didn't mention anything about it.

I googled for some possible causes of this and the results were possibly a bent strut, shocks are bad, UCA bent etc.

What do yall think?

IMAG0073.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg

2. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    looks like positive camber from something....did you keep the alignment sheet from the dealership?

3. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    Creel

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 SWB DC PreRunner OR
    No unfortunately I did not. I had to work that day and I had my dad take it up there to get it done and he forgot to get the sheet :rolleyes:

I do remember them saying they did not do a 4 wheel align .. just a 2 wheel on Tacoma's. Is that right?

4. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    If anything is bent, it would be an UCA or LCA. I'm pretty sure you just have a case of a bad alignment.

5. Apr 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...

yeah, b/c there is nothing to really align on the solid axle. the camber could be towards the high end of the spectrum, but still be in 'spec'. if you plan on keeping the truck for a good long while, i'd invest in a lifetime alignment at firestone for ~$150. i've used mine like 4-5 times in under 2 years. saved me plenty so far

6. Apr 4, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    Creel

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 SWB DC PreRunner OR
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to go Thursday to the dealer and have it aligned again. :cool:

7. Apr 4, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Rear isn't technically adjustable- and as long as you don't have an accidents or major work done- It should be squared properly. (If you do make major changes-Make sure you at least check the rear).

Before you worry about bent parts- Check and make sure the alignment is in spec. After that- if they can't get it right- They should be able to ID the damaged part for you.

8. Apr 4, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Be careful. I had a bent spindle and my dealer couldn't figure it out. I went to a local, reputable shop and they figured it out in 20 seconds.

Products Discussed in

To Top