1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beretta vs Sig arms

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by beastlytaco, Nov 17, 2009.

?

beretta M9 vs Sig Saur P228/P229

Poll closed Dec 17, 2009.
  1. Sig Arms

57 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. Beretta

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. some other gun that the military uses that is just as good

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Nov 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    so, i got my newest edition of National Rifleman in the mail the other day...and on the cover was the infamous beretta M9 standard issue military handgun...now after reading the inside article, i was astonished to see that the Airforce chhose this gun as their standard issue before the army did.

now as i kept reading i found it amazing to see that the beretta had many issues...especially with the slide screwing up after 10- 30,000 rounds...now the italian arms manufacturer said the issue was due to the military's usage of a more powerful ammo round than was needed....but the army, during their testing phases after the M9 had been re-vamped, the two guns that were leftcame down between the Sig Sauer P298 and the beretta M9...after extensive testing..the army tended to go with the M9 due to its resiliance to mud, dirt and grim in the barrel and reciever....finally...haha..my question.

What is the bighest difference between the M9 beretta and the Sig Sauer? i know both guns are different but what are your thoughts on the Sig...(especially you coasties out there) versus the M9?

2. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    mwells32

mwells32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nolanville, TX
    Vehicle:
    '09 PreRunner DC
    5100 on all four corners, fronts set to "0", OME 885 coils, Toytec 2 in AAL
    I don't have any on-the-job experience, but I have always liked the Sigs better. The Berreta just seems too fat in the grip for me. The sigs just "fit". I got the mag yesterday, but haven't read that article yet.

3. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    oh its good..it does a good job of trying not to show too much bias...they say " yes its a good gun, but it has had its issues..but what gun hasnt" i liked it overall

4. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I had 5 Berretas and 1 Sig P220. I found the Sig more reliable, and much more accurate. While the Sig has never jammed, all of my Berretas have at least 1 time. Personally, I think my Sig P220 is the best handgun I have ever shot.

5. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    how about sight apperatures? are the sights totally different?

6. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have Trijicon or Meprolight sights on all my handguns, so I never noticed much difference between the 2 types.

7. Nov 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    awesome...and what does the Sig run ya? cost wise for ammo and whats the caliber?

8. Nov 17, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    dbronzo

dbronzo Protected by Armor Tech Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 w/ some Mods
    King Coilovers, LR UCA's, All Pro Sliders, ATO Full Skids, Pioneer AVH-P4300, 4.56 Gears, Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers, ATO Full Wrap High Clearance Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, ATO Hybrid Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC 8, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Rock Lights
    Have shot a M9 in the Army and personally own a Sig. I think that the Sig wins hands down as far as double action goes. As far as the sights goes it depends on which M9 you draw from the arms room that day. Some have a snowman sight and others the three dot sights. I went to a shooting school in March where we shot the M9 for a week. Out of 14 guns 5 broke. I hope that the Army switches to the Sig if they decide to keep a DA gun. If not then they should go to the Glock for a SA. Just my .02

9. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    coast guard already employs the Sig...so you would think that the other branches would catch on

10. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    i am the so called "weapons expert" person, or so my job says, so im always dealing with failures of our weapons, the reason that beretta's slides were cracking was cause for the longest time (still happens) the locking blocks were breaking, which really happens ALL THE TIME, especially with our guns that have 50,000 rnds+ through them...

so in order to attempt to rememdy the breaking locking blocks, they decided to beaf up the locking block..well to add steel, you have to remove steel, so in the process of beafing up the locking block, they had to make the slide thinner, causing the slides to break, which led to another problem, when the slides were breaking, the rear portion of the slide was flying back into the shooters face, causing whatever damage to the shooter, so then they had to had a little notch in the slide to stop that catches on the receiver to stop that from happening...

but imo, i think the sig is a far better gun, the trigger pull is much much smoother, and plus i just enjoy the trijicon sights that we have on ours :)

having shot both weapons, i go with the sig over the two...but other than those, im loyal to glock :)

11. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    just like beretta, sigs come in all sorts of caliber 9mm, .40, .45...

both weapons will run you in around the 600$ range...

12. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    On the personal side- I like the grip size and feel better on the SIG than the M9. The trigger pull is better for me too.

On the technical side- The stopping power of the .40 cal round we Coasties fire is better and the accuracy is better despite the slightly shorter barrel. I fired around 2500 rounds thru each type- and never had a manfunction with the SIGs. I broke several locking blocks and had slide issues more than once with the M9s.

The M9's also succumbed to the sea water/damp air and surface rusted worse.

+1 on the sights

13. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    well the reason why the M9s are rusting away is that they are so worn down and beat up, the bleuing has worn down exposing bare metal to the hard elements, causing the rust, give the sigs a few years with the way we treat them and throw them around im sure you will start to see rust spots..gotta give the beretta some credit though, it takes a beating and keeps going..but i still prefer the sig over beretta though

14. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun (Hot Sun)
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    How do you guy's get away with carrying .40 cal's??? I thought DOD had to carry 9mm nato ball...

Carried a sidearm for 21 years in the Air Force, regular duty weapon was the M9... hated it, slow slide, jammed, to thick of a grip. Carried a P228 undercover for two years and loved that sig. Now that I'm retired I'm getting a Sig 229 SAS/DAK. Ultimate concealed carry .40 cal.

15. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I qualified "Sharpshooter" the first time I picked up the M9. However, it's a fat hand grip, and to be honest, the safety is too far up for my hands, plus it pulls "opposite" of what I got used to.

I own a P229 (in .40). Got it from a relative, and love it. Of course, it's a compact, so not totally comparable. It fits my hand beautifully, pulls out of the holster and comes up nicely aligned (for me, at least). I shoot it much better than the M9, which I found I pull up and right at the 7-meter mark.

Anyway, I did think of buying a M9 (in .40) to keep "up" on my marksmanship and whatnot, but I figure if I'm ever drawing my sidearm, the fits already hit the shan.

16. Nov 17, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    I like both, the first gun I ever fired was a Sig p228. That said, I curently own the Beretta 92fs (m9). I like both guns, I was able to get the Beretta for around 500 which was a good deal, the firearm is accurate and reliable. I knew about the old locking block issues, and the slide issues, but to be honest, my handgun is not going to be put through the same abuses the duty weapons see, not saying it can't happen, but I'm not sweating everytime I shoot the firearm.

17. Nov 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Toyota1998

Toyota1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    98Tacoma 2.7L TRD
    KN Cold Air Intake,Add-a-Leaf,2" Leveling Kit, Rock Rims, Brush Guard, Blacked Out Badges, Flowmaster 44 Dual, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Grey Wire
    Same goes for me. I have the 92fs and like it alot. I have never shot a Sig, and couldn't tell you much about them. I just very much so enjoy my Beretta. The grip is a little big, but i have gotten used to it, now it fits me very well and it is one of my favorite pistols. I'm never going to be putting my Beretta through the same abuses that the duty weapons go through so i wasn't too concerned. I read the National Rifleman article too, great write up.

18. Nov 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    i know for the longest time the CG wasnt going to switch our DOG (Deployable Operations Group) units to the Sig .40s for that reason. i dont know what they worked out that we are now getting the sigs at these units. My unit is within the DOG and we were supposed to get ours in Oct. havent gotten here yet..

im sure if and when we are needed to use the NATO round we will work something out with the navy to use their weapons/ammunition. to be completely honest i dont know the full logistics of how we were able to stray away from the NATO round and what will happen when we are forced to need it...but what i said earlier up was just an educated guess...:confused:

and to add to that...CG isnt apart of DOD, we are DHS, we only switch to DOD in times of war...and at that time we join up with the navy...

19. Nov 17, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is mine I had purchased about 6 months ago and is one of the best .45 autos out there. With Trijicon sights. But it was $1,045.00 but am very pleased with it. Also my second Sig. I own a .40 cal as well that can take the .357 Sig round.
    This also came with the 10 round clip that sticks below the base. Kinda cool looking.

20. Nov 18, 2009 at 2:33 AM
    Jeremy M.

Jeremy M. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mascoutah, IL
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I own both weapons and have fired them both on the job. If your life depends on the pistol then get the SIG. The beretta is an over priced POS. I own a P226 and the P229 in 9mm and the P220C in 45. I love them all and carry the P229 most.

The factory day sight in the SIG is vertical rather than horizontal and many people find their eyes will align it faster than a horizontal sight.

As for caliber if it is your first pistol go with 9mm it is cheap and available everywhere. If you are experienced then go with 45 although 45GAP and 40 are good rounds you will find they cost as much or more than 45 in most cases and do not have the same availability.

Sidenote: although i love SIGs I believe that the Glock is the most reliable pistol made. I have personally fired 20,000rds through one without cleaning and experienced no malfunctions. I prefer the SIG because I do not like the grip angle on the GLOCK. Some 82nd Airborne units carry the Glock 17

Products Discussed in

To Top