1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best 3" lift?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigbri04103, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Aug 22, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    bigbri04103

bigbri04103 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD
    Seat belt dinger shut off, debadged, window tint, 3" toytec lift, front fended trim, D rings in front of bed, and mangled rear bumper (soon to be a relentless rear)
    Looking to install a 3" lift on my new tacoma. What is the best one to use. Also thinking about painting my rims black, does the paint chip off?

2. Aug 22, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Search about the lifts man. And for the wheels. If you do it right, they won't.

3. Aug 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    OME. Make sure you get the proper coils. 884, 885, or 886. Also get new UCAs , and extended brake lines to the rear axle. I went with 886 coils. The coils are too stiff, even with a winch/bumper. Didn't get the UCAs or brake line extensions so those are all getting ordered.

*Lots of people say to just get the lift and you won't need those other parts. Don't listen to them. If you want to do it right don't short yourself.

Can't comment on the rim situation, my truck came stock with black rims.

[​IMG]

4. Aug 22, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    "Best" isn't quantifiable- What are your goals for installing the lift? What is your budget (roughly)?? Are you planning on DIY or paying some one else??

As far as wheels..There are quite a few threads that go into depth about how to prep and paint them for best results. They work great. I'm just now thinking about taking mine off and cleaning/reshooting them...It's been since June 08...including wheeling trips and about 32K highway/city miles and they don't even really need it.

5. Aug 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I went with the toytec ultimate lift kit, tc uca's, diff drop kit & diff carrier spacer. Its best to do that all togethor otherwise your allignment will always be off and you Cv's will take a beating really fast. I'm actually on a 3.25" lift on front and even higher in the back with ome dakar leaf packs and don't have extended brake lines.....I guess that might be necessary if you're heavy into rock crawling

6. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Hey man.. Im looking at the toytec ultimate lift too.. i dont want to go the cheap route.. im spending 30 grand on a truck, i want to have a damn good lift on it.

Did you install it yourself? if yes, how hard was it? any advise?

In your opinion, does it come with everything you need to have a good 3" lift and do all neccessary adjustments to make everything align correctly?

Are you sure you dont need to extend the brake lines? im definitely not gonna be doing any rock crawling and hardly any offroading other than the occasional time that i want to get my truck dirty.

If i did want to extent the brake lines, do you know how much that costs and how hard it would be to do that?

thanks man. sorry if im being a pain.

7. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    Asking what is the best 3" lift is like asking what is the best color for a truck. It all depends on what you are willing to spend and what do you want to do with your truck.

8. Aug 23, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Long travel gives about 3" of lift. I vote for that being the best.

So there.

9. Aug 31, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    bigbri04103

bigbri04103 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD
    Seat belt dinger shut off, debadged, window tint, 3" toytec lift, front fended trim, D rings in front of bed, and mangled rear bumper (soon to be a relentless rear)
    I know it's been awhile since I started this thread but I wanted to say thank you for the advice. When I posted I didn't know anything about LT or any of that. I went with the Toytec Ultimate Lift and installed it myself. It went pretty well the only problem I had was the add a leaf. Need to have two six inch C clamps! Other than that things went good. Did end up with a a vibration on take off till about 10mph. May have a new one piece drive shaft made up, need to save some money.
    As for the rims I bought new ones. For tires I ended up going with 285/70/17. Had some rubbing in the front but nothing a small bit of trimming couldn't fix.
    Again thanks for everything!

P.S. I hate this site I think I'm happy with what I have done then I see some new mod or part that I must have. Thanks alot TW:D

10. Aug 31, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

x2 LT will be the best suspension kit. DO it!

11. Aug 31, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    bigbri04103

bigbri04103 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD
    LT is the sickest, but this is my DD. Sticking with what I have. Living in Maine most wheeling is in mud so What I have is perfect. Would like a 1st gen for a project truck. LT all the way on that one

12. Aug 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Im not sure on the lift but i know that all paints chip, even powder coating does all it takes is something to nick or break the surface and thats where it will start, i seen many

13. Aug 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    "best"
    High-end coilovers (Kings, Icon, Fox) paired with an aftermarket leaf pack (OME, All Pro, Icon) and new resi shocks. (Kings, Icon. Fox.)

We need more info dudeh

Products Discussed in

To Top