1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best 3" lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Gloade16, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Dec 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2. If you want the BEST, ignore anything you read before this guy's post. OME, Toytec Ultimate and Rough Country don't have a damn thing on the higher end, adjustable coilover setups but you will spend some pretty serious coin to get that level of performance.

FWIW, unless you need that level of performance, it's not worth paying the money to get it. Set a budget, explain your use for the suspension, then you'll get much better responses. That Icon kit shown above is nice but most people would pass out if they saw the price tag.

2. Dec 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    Although even with coilovers, to get to 3" you are adjusting them way up and smashing the crap out of the coils. Even with them valved correctly, the ride won't be great.

But yeah, good advise above

3. Dec 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Completely agreed.
    I mean...I get the bro-bling factor. It looks really nice, but there are VERY few people that would ever take advantage of a secondary with stock length arms. A truck with a solid shock valving in the coilover would be just as effective for most people.

4. Dec 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    iamjoealex

iamjoealex Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joey
    new Bedford ma.
    Vehicle:
    12 trd sport dcsb
    do oem or toytech 3" ultimate require frame cutting?

5. Dec 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    I don't know of any 0-3" lift that requires cutting of the frame

6. Dec 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    icon_rep

icon_rep ICON Vehicle Dynamics Vendor

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Totally agree that the S2 system is not for everyone, but some will find great use for it. Is it over kill for stock arms you ask?? Well we put it through some serious testing with our own 4Runner and also Demello's white 4runner and it held up great, all keeping the wheels at the factory track width vs a +2 long travel with a much more affordable price tag. Good thing is if it's not for you then we do offer many more affordable options that work great for just about any use you may have. Everyone is doing something different so we should all keep that in mind.

Here is a little video of one of the first test sessions for the S2 System if your interested in watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yisWk37vUU&sns=em

Those looking to make sure they get the best ride out of a coilover only set up may want to consider the new Compression Damping Control Valve option for remote reservoir shocks. This will allow you to fine tune the ride exactly to your liking. Ride quality is so subjective to the individual, terrain, and weather region you are faced with day in and day out. This NEW option lets you dial the shocks in to get a soft on road ride or with a few clicks firmer hit the dirt with out blowing through the shock because it is to soft.

7. Dec 6, 2012 at 2:34 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    :drool:

Are those Omegas? What length do you build them in and could you do specific numbers? Like if I was looking for an 11" shock with comp at 16" and ext at 27" is that doable?

Maybe a bypass is overkill being that rebound is best left open on leaf springs (could be wrong though) and the compression adjusted 2.5's would be a better choice for my particular needs!

I'd really like to see this tested with Defines SUA setup while keeping shocks out of the bed!

8. Dec 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    all I know is I wish they made a bolt on bump can for 1st gens

9. Dec 6, 2012 at 3:26 AM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Also, was wondering if you guys planned on making a bolt on bump for the front too? Similar to the one light racing used to make for you.....chubby or whatever that was called.

I also noticed not much in the way of frame reinforcements for the rear and coil buckets up front....unless the secondary bypass tubing is also strengthening the front structure???

10. Dec 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    That didn't answer my question at all. Copy paste below.
    You can omit the marketing material from your response too. In fact, if you just have some more pictures showing different angles of how everything is put together and mounted, that would be fine too. I can draw my own conclusions from that.

I do have a couple general questions aside from the one below. Are Icon's as simple to work on for rebuilds/revalves as King, Fox, and SAW? Any special tools needed besides an allen wrench and snap ring pliers? How many shims do you guys normally use on compression and rebound? Are valve shims and rebuild kits readily available? Anything special about the shock oil or will King/Fox oil work fine? And don't forget about this VVVVV

Generally speaking secondary shock hoops significantly help with the coil bucket stregth. That said, I can't speak to the Icon hoop. The picture shows it bolts to the top of the bucket like any other hoop, but the lower mount just shows a bolt? I can't really tell what it bolts into and how it stays in place.

11. Dec 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA

They are Omega's.....we will have them on the website soon. We are able to build them now if anyone is interested.

We do have lots of options to build them to a specific length....if you let me know what that length, is I can see how close we can get to what you are looking for.

Looking at testing question we would like to test a set up with our S2 in the front and spring under in the rear vs. long travel to see what it brings in comparison. We will work on this after the new year to keep an eye out.

12. Dec 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Not sure that the hoop will "significantly" add strength, it does add what is necessary to keep everything in tact without failure.

13. Dec 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA

These are in the works....details are not available just yet but I will keep you informed I get information.

14. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Awesome man....so excited!

15. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    TACOconvert2012

TACOconvert2012 My truck hates you. My wallet hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    SC'd 2012 MGM TX/Pro 4x4
    never ending..
    WTF!! im back to wanting ICON now.... my wallet keeps running and hiding from me... Im going to go broke with all this ICON crazieness!!!!

16. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    ^^ I agree.....

17. Dec 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    When I ordered mine Sonny told me the final price and my response was "fuck that's a lot of money". He's response, and it was true, "it is, but it will be worth it"

18. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Def worth the money. I LOVE my icons but now all this new shit they are coming out with is pissing me off....cause it's gonna break me! :D

19. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Definetly want more. Hey if you are still running your icons.

Would you please stop over in the 2nd Gen Icon Height thread and putting in your numbers

20. Dec 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    Icons are the way to go. I bought my first set in late 2006 and sold those only to buy another set of Icons in 2012. If I would have been able to keep the old set, then I would have just done that. You will definitely get your moneys worth with the Icons.

Products Discussed in

To Top