1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best 3rd gen mid-travel suspension for cushy city/highway driving?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by deuceb, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Jul 8, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    deuceb

deuceb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver | Austin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco BBPDCLBTRDOR | 2004 MB SL55 | 86 VW GTI
    I got a 2018 DCLB and it'll still do plenty of offroading, but I'm coming from an uncomfortable onroad Wrangler. I don't mind paying for the best ride I can get, but my research hasn't led to much other than just get an Icon stage 10 kit and calling it a day. Am I really looking at spending $5k+ to get a great ride? Baja, Camburg, etc... don't really have complete kits on their site. I'm assuming you're supposed to know enough to piece things together, but I really don't know enough about leaf springs to feel confident picking things out. Thanks for any help!

2. Jul 11, 2018 at 12:58 PM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Definitely don’t want Icons if your looking for a cushy ride. They are digressive for valving and will be stiff at first and soften up on harder hits. King or Fox is what you want for a cushier ride, they are softer at first and firm up at speed. Or just any progressive setup will give you the ride your looking for.

3. Jul 11, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
  4. Jul 12, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    deuceb

deuceb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver | Austin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco BBPDCLBTRDOR | 2004 MB SL55 | 86 VW GTI
    @*TRD* I actually called y'all yesterday and you talked me into a kit. I'll be ordering a Fox kit in two weeks after I pick up my truck. Thanks!

Sub_Par and *TRD* like this.
  5. Jul 17, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    Tacoma_Crawl

Tacoma_Crawl Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Window tint Console organizer
  6. Jul 17, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
    King has by far the best brand name in the industry and they used to always be one step ahead of Fox, but they've been selling the same design for 15 years now while Fox has continued to improve. So King has the best name and Fox has the best quality (better seals, better oil, bigger diameter hose, better pistons), which is why you see them on new Fords, Toyota's and UTV's. This article covers some of the differences (note that Fox Truck don't have a stainless piston rod) http://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/fox-vs-king-2-0-coilover-shock-comparison/

Icon uses digressive pistons while Fox and King use linear pistons. Digressive valving can be harsh off-road and doesn't ride well on small bumps. Here's an article which explains the difference more in depth: http://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

The biggest difference is that we take every shock apart in house and use the latest techniques to re-valve them for your weight, terrain, and driving preferences. The result is a more comfortable ride that isn't bouncy and doesn't bottom out easily. Here's some additional background info on why and how we do what we do: http://accutuneoffroad.com/accutune-equations/

Products Discussed in

To Top