1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best 9MM , 500 bucks to spend

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by river rat 69, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jul 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Glock 19. You can join GSSF, and purchase one at LEO prices ($425). :)

2. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    4x4gredo

4x4gredo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    knoxville,tennessee
    Vehicle:
    05 dc 4x4
    tinted front windows,2.5 spacers up front and 1.5 add a leaf in back,Plasti dipped front valance
    taurus pt111 millenium pro

3. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    i want a glock 19 now! thanks guys

4. Jul 26, 2011 at 2:41 AM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    SMH...:der:...that MIGHT be a logical arguement on SOME planet...which one? I dunno...
    :notsure:

5. Jul 26, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    Apricotshot

Apricotshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    TRD CAI
    Actually he's right. Might want to check out training and some LEO stats on acutual gun fights. Revolvers are great back up guns but not your primary. The NRA bashing is somewhat deserved. I've taken the NRA instructers Handgun course and I think I learned more useful information in my Hunter's Saftey Course when I was 10 years old.

6. Jul 26, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    Apricotshot

Apricotshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    TRD CAI
    FYI the problems associated with the Gen4 Glocks was the Gen4 Ejector they are now using. Lonewolf makes a replacement that is similar to the gen 3. I have a gen3 with the gen 4 ejector and I have yet to have any type of malfunction. So of course, YMMV.

7. Jul 26, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    Henry - there's a difference between us Military and LEO type folks and people who are going to obtain and carry with minimal firearms training and not shoot enough to become proficient...that was the gist of the NRA's recommendation...if you're not going to obtain that proficiency and maintain it...stick to the dummy-proof stuff...
    :laser:

8. Jul 26, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Thanks all, Got her a glock 26 and I liked the glock 19 so much I got one for myself. Picked up 2- 33 round mags, speed loader and cleaning kit as well as clip on holster for her and shoulder holster for me.Let the old 38 & 357 go in on trade. we are wanting someone to try the come in after midnight now!!! Thanks for all the post and your time.. Jim

9. Jul 26, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Yea? How many PD's use them?
    I would like to see your stats for PD's, Spec op's and comp shooting using the 9mm.

10. Jul 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    Using Glock, not 9mm was what the statment was regarding.
    But most of the military use 9mm because it is a NATO round. A lot of the State department folks use the Glock 9mm as well overseas.
    Bob Vogel USPSA Grandmaster uses a G17
    Rob Leatham almost exclusivly uses 9mm though SA XD.
    Dave Sevigny - 11-Time USPSA National Champion, 9-Time IDPA National Champion, etc...

11. Jul 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    ericb

ericb I'm a very neat monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Dexter
    surface of the sun
    Vehicle:
    Truck So Good
    Competition shooting and combat shooting are two entirely different animals. Competition shooters shoot watered down loads to reduce recoil and have extreme tolerances that would cause malfunctions and issues during normal hard use. To compare the two is unfair.

Wondering what firearm specops use is worthless as well. They have access to SBR's, carbines and mbr's as well as CAS and other forms of backup. The SBR's they carry pretty much relegate the handgun to an extreme backup to be used only in dire circumstances. They carry the firearm that is most reliable in their testing and some get to carry what they personally want. i.e. glocks, 1911's, sigs, berettas....... they would and do choose the rifle over the handgun everyday of the week and twice on sundays.

As for what the the PD carry.....Handguns shoot marginal cartridges. As a concealed carry holder, wondering what they carry and going by that is flawed. You do not have partners, backup, multiple mags on your belt, etc. it is you vs, the threat and it will be long over before anyone comes to your rescue.

With that being said, you need to select something reliable and proven, something that you have combat accuracy with, not .0005" groups on paper, but running and gunning with. You will not be standing still when attacked. Nor will you go into a two handed weaver stance, line up the sights and take heart and head shots. You will be under stress, point shooting one handed and most likely moving if you want to live. You also need to balance that reliability with the size of the firearm, capacity, and competency. Being combat accurate with a .380 is 100X better than not being so with a .45. You have to find that balance... what fits your hand, what you can shoot accurately... one handed on the move under stress. Many ranges don't allow this training unfortunately so buying an airsoft copy and doing force on force training is highly recommended.

Personally I don't give a shit what specops, LE, or competition guys use per say except to note the reliability records or lack thereof. Otherwise I run what I am combat competent with and goes bang every time.

...and Sully, the Planet Reality has arrived.

12. Jul 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    Again that was the point in pointing out what LEOs and competitive shooters use, proof or reliability and accuracy.
    If you find a Jerico, hi Point or Larson comfortable to shoot go for it, I will stick with the Glock.

13. Jul 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    Fienoma

Fienoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hieu
    New Mexcio
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab Off road 4x4
    BHLM, In bed lights mod, K&N intake,OEM bed extender....more to come?
    Very true..so many variants to these types of situations...best thing you can do is pick a gun that can fire and know how to use it..trainging will always beat the "best gun".

"A well trained shooter with a shitty gun will always be better than a amateur with the top of the line gun.."

14. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    You need to make hits in defensive fire no matter what caliber you are using. Study after study shows very similar stopping results for all calibers over .32 when you hit your target. No matter what you are carrying you have to be able to run the gun. Survival comes from practice, practice and more practice.

15. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    05ImpulseTaco

05ImpulseTaco Active Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Manual 4cyl
    I love my Glock 19!!!

16. Jul 28, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    My Beretta Px4 Storm in .40 has less recoil than my 9 mm, I'd venture to guess if you got it in 9mm it would be even less. It also comes with small, medium, and large backstraps so you can customize the grip to your hand.

17. Jul 30, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    Just picked up a New G19 Gen4 myself a couple of weeks ago. Came with 3 sets of back straps and 3 15 round mags for $560 I believe.

Marc M

18. Jul 31, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Anyone know anything about the Steyr M9-A1? My local shop has them and they look pretty sweet. I can get one for around $550. Im lookin for a 9mm as well in that range, this one is kinda unique which is why I guess im drawn to it.

19. Jul 31, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    I've got a Steyr M9, the predecessor to the A1. Not much difference, the A1 adds a rail, some texture to the grip, and loses the funky safety. I picked it up for $250 back when CDNN had a bunch of them on sale. Definitely worth it. For $550 I don't know if I'd feel the same way. Check out steyrclub.com for more info on the A1 version.

20. Aug 1, 2011 at 4:45 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Yeah I dont know a whole lot about them. I think they look cool and unique so it spiked my interest. Im between that and a PX4 but I have small hands and the steyr felt pretty good.

Products Discussed in

To Top