1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best 9MM , 500 bucks to spend

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by river rat 69, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Apricotshot

Apricotshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    TRD CAI
  2. Aug 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    TheSurvivalist

TheSurvivalist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Tampa Bay, FL
    '16 TRD OR Wheels, Cooper AT3's 265/75/16
    This.

3. Aug 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Dont listen to the Glock fanboys. The above is the best advice your gonna get.

I was a G fanboy initially (G23 w/ 9mm conversion barrel + all the lego plug-and-play parts I could get my hands on). Until I got my first 1911. Tried the XD crowd and couldnt get into it. My 3 main guns now are a Kimber Ultra Carry II, so far unfired FNH FNP-9, and my Walther P22 plinker. Biggest thing they have in common - similar grip angles and fit great in my hand. Next on the list are to try a Sig SP2022 and add a CZ - 75B, 75 compact, SP01 or tactical variant (dunno how many picatinny railed guns I want).

The BIGGEST problem with a G-pistol, for me, is the grip angle (and striker fire if you really want a safety or a SA trigger pull - both a non-issue to me). This is especially true if you already have a "favorite" or trained handhold (I'm waiting for the lonewolf distributors timberwolf frame - accepts glock parts but has a more 1911 like grip angle). I'm now used to (and prefer) the 1911 grip angle (especially on a single stack 45 or double stack 9/40) so that's what I gravitate to now. Your wife HAS to go in and fondle and fire several guns, preferably on different days, to make sure it's what she wants.

As for the Glock being so "issued" to agencies (post #6 and all over the internet) and competitive shooters.
    - cheaper then steel framed weapons
    - higher cap mags then 1911's
    - easy to maintain for those agencies who don't fire/maintain their weapons or train their officers to do so (if you're prior military or are just OCD about clean weapons this is a non-issue)
    - appears safer in cond 1 carry (compared to da/sa or sao in cond 1). this is also prob the reason for M&P and XD also being more issued to different agencies).
    - For the record ICE DRO and BP carry sigs. Rumor is that the SEALs do so as well although thats probably just 1 of many they may carry.
    - Glock is the only company I know of that has it's own competition featuring it's own weapons only. (To me this is similar to ipod and itunes. pay to play and you can only play with our toys - great bit of marketing but that doesnt make it the best). IIRC Glock recently fired one of their supported factory competition shooters because the dood was seen in public shooting another company's product.

XD issue for me was the high center of gravity made shooting uncomfortable and unnatural for me. <500rds and I sold it because how uncomfortable it was.

HK and Walther P's - I dont like the mag release

M&P - That hinge in the trigger turns me off. I'll admit I've never fondled or shot one but I just get the heebie-jeebies seeing it.

Biggest FNP (non-45cal) issue I see so far is aftermarket support but there's enough to outfit her the way I want.

CZ75, Browning HP - Trigger pull is the biggest problem I have and is often talked about on websites. There are several gunsmiths that have the ability to address this - or you can shoot it until its broken in. CZ is also a bit of a pain to takedown and put back together until broken in.

4. Oct 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    thexcolexman

thexcolexman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD
    De-Badged Smoked tails with LED bulb swap K&N Drop-In
    Actually most of us would rather carry a Glock. But the government is too cheap.

5. Oct 24, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  6. Oct 25, 2011 at 6:02 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Lots of Glock fans. I've never owned nor shot one. Personally, I'm a fan of Springfield XD. I've shot the 45, 40, and 9mm. I own and XDM 9 and love it. Wife loves it as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top