1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best All Terrain Tire - KO2 vs ST Maxx vs ???

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by RC84, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Jan 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    RC84

RC84 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3G Double Cab TRD OR
    SCS F5 - 17x8.5 Matte Gunmetal Cooper ST Maxx - 255.80.17
    I'm in the market for some new shoes. I've searched and searched with no solid conclusion. I see a lot of comparisons but overall, they lack any true information in regards to which tire/brand/model has the best overall performance. A lot of subjective information when this is not something that should be subjective.

Below are the tires I am considering:

Cooper ST Maxx
    Bfg KO2
    Goodyear Duratrac
    General Grabber AT2

I am specifically looking for something with decent road manners, hydroplane resistance/west traction, snow and ice traction, and off road durability and ability. A decent do it all hybrid on/off road tire. Asking too much?

So far, I am leaning towards the cooper st maxx. I have owned a set of the bfg KO All terrains and was very unimpressed with its performance in snow and wet conditions. Nearly killed myself on the highway when I hit a puddle of water... Once upon a time, they set the standard....30 ish years ago?...but that is no longer true, as there seems to be much better options available today. I had a set of the General grabber AT2s, which in my opinion, was noticeably better than the bfg KO's.

The new KO2 tires seem to have decent reviews, but to me, it looks like the same tire with a new sidewall design. My previous experience with the KO's makes me a bit tentative.
    I have no real experience with these "new" tires, so I would like people with real experience to chime in. The KO's have good reviews as well... but we know that they aren't that great so what gives?

I know that I am not the only one that would benefit from this information, so lets put our heads and experience together to narrow down the best overall all terrain tire.

2. Jan 18, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    First winter on my new Cooper ST/MAXX 265/75/16 Tires. And all I can say is wow what traction.

3. Jan 18, 2016 at 4:44 PM
    nevadabugle

nevadabugle Desert Rat

Member:
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR manual in quicksand
    Duratracs get my vote. They meet all of your requirements except some think they are loud. I am not sensitive to tire noise so I am not the best for an opinion. Way better traction than BFG KOs.

Mully likes this.
  4. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:07 PM
    RC84

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3G Double Cab TRD OR
    After doing some more research. I am reading that duratracs have weak sidewalls? I am also reading that the General Grabber AT2 "new version" are a better overall tires compared to the duratracs. This information came from someone that has owned both sets - installed on a jeep wrangler.

As of right now, the Cooper ST Maxx seems to be the superior tire. What I do not understand is why everyone and their mom is purchasing the new KO2 tires.

90 percent of new Tacoma owners seem to be purchasing the Bfg KO2. Is it band wagon thing or maybe everyone thinks that they just look cool? I will admit that aesthetically they look great, which is why I would like someone to justify them as a good tire. Like I said, my only experience with Bfg are the KO's (which has left a sour taste in my mouth)...but...the KO2's and KO's have nearly identical thread design....KO2's have some additional sipping, but I can't imagine the sipping making a huge difference. To me, Bfg all terrains seem very overrated by the general public.

5. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:09 PM
    nevadabugle

nevadabugle Desert Rat

Member:
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR manual in quicksand
    I have not had sidewall issues with Duratracs and I am hard on them over volcanic rocks in Nevada. I have heard this complaint bUT i have just not experienced it myself.

smitty99 likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    BuffaloScout

BuffaloScout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 TRD
    Weathertech, Wet Oaks, Baby Car Seat, Flashlight Mod
    Own Bfg KO2 currently and owned General Grabber AT2's in the past. Like both alot, give a nod to KO2 overall though. Will buy them again when the time comes.

7. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:45 PM
    fella

fella Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Single Cab Tacoma 2.7L 4x4
    I believe that the BFG AT has been "the" all-terrain tire for a long time, and just has brand recognition, and a long history of being a good tire, thus the continued popularity.

I've owned BFG AT's, and Duratrac's. Both are good tires in my opinion. However, my favorite tire is the Bridgestone Dueller AT. Excellent treadwear, and while not as good in the mud/offroad as the duratrac, it is VERY good in snow/wet and moderate offroading, as well as very good and quiet on-road.

No experience with the ST Maxx.

Good luck

8. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:58 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    How about Cooper AT3's?

I read this review and others on 4 wheel magazine and also on tire rack. People can't say good enough things about them.

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Avoid Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure Kevlar. I got these tires when they first came out and I can't wait to get them off my truck. They're an all season tire trying to pass as an AT. Zero grip in anything but dry pavement.

09BLk_Taco likes this.
  9. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM
    RC84

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3G Double Cab TRD OR

I agree...

Brand recognition goes a long way; which is why I originally purchased my Bfg KO back in the day. Thought they were decent tires until I broadened my perspective...nearly getting killed on the highway (hydroplaning) may also have something to do with my opinion on KO's today o_O.

I can also see that mud and rain/wet performance may be contradictory. For mud, you want to gather or hold mud...does that make sense? Like paddle tires. While rain/wet performance, you want to shed the water out the sides...cut through the water. If I absolutely had to pick....I would pick rain/wet performance, as most of my driving is done on on pavement.

I have yet to see any complaints (besides weight) on the cooper St maxx. great road manners with excellent off road performance. There are mixed reviews on the noise. I've read some describe them as quiet, while others claim that they are a bit noisy. Both extremes....perfect...lol

10. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:10 PM
    RC84

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3G Double Cab TRD OR

The cooper AT3's seem to be a very good overall tire. Less aggressive vs. the St maxx, but they probably have better overall performance on the road. I am really liking what Cooper has to offer with the AT3's and ST maxx.

11. Jan 18, 2016 at 9:07 PM
    TacoRat

TacoRat Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 4x4
    so far I'm happy with my KO2 on my Nissan 4x4. Works great on the desert/sandy roads around here. Haven't tried in snow and heavy rain yet.

12. Jan 18, 2016 at 10:14 PM
    Broccoli

Broccoli Well-Known Member

Member:
    Airdrie Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd sport blazing blue,
    +1 duratrac, great snow/ice tire with good road handling. I never noticed a difference in sound between them and my hankook dynapro at/m

13. Jan 18, 2016 at 10:29 PM
    McMash

McMash The only thing better than light bars? Sarcasm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Gig Harbor, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma AC TRD 4x4
    Had both the Cooper AT3's (275/70R17) and now the Cooper ST MAXX (255/80R17); both have been fantastic tires. AT3's were quiet, great rain/snow traction and tough. Never got stuck, and I found myself in stuff I wouldn't have normally tried without MT's a few times. Being in the PNW, rain and snow traction is something I emphasize considerably. ST MAXX's have been just a great, but even better loose-terrain grip. Recently spent a week driving around in both powder and hard-packed snow and was amazed at how grippy they were on accel/decel as well as laterally. They are a bit louder, but negligibly so. Definitely heavier, though perhaps not as big of a deal with your 2nd gen.

Never had a set of the BFG's due to cost. Honestly heard mixed reviews; some love them, some are quite underwhelmed. Cooper's were well regarded, considerably cheaper and came in the sizes I was looking for.

14. Jan 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM
    oldeskuel

oldeskuel Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB, TRD Sport 4x4
    Stealth 6 wheels from SCS; Goodyear duratracs in 265/70/17
    I had the BFG All Terrains on my '02 Tacoma regular cab 4x4. And I have had BFG Rugged Trails and now Goodyear duratracs on my 05 Tacoma dcsb TRD sport 4x4.

The rugged trails were ok. I wore them out in 40k, and would consider them an average truck tire in all categories. The BFG all terrains gave me many good highway miles, and were noticeably better (more grippy) in the warmer weather. They were great on gas when intentionally overinflated by 4-5psi, and also do ok in heavy rain, and even did ok when the tread was wearing down. The duratracs have by far been my favorite tire, even though the seem a little less grippy than when they were brand new (now about 50%). Even so, they are responsive compared to the BFG all terrains, excellent in all conditions (lots of rain and snow in the PNW) and they look great. I think total mileage will be about the same as the BFG all terrains, maybe even 10-15k more. One bonus is the wider lugs around the outside of the tires. As for noise, the BFG All terrains were "buzzy" and noisier than the duratracs, which make a less noticeable deeper (and more tolerable) brrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound.

Hope this is helpful. It's a bit subjective, but just what I remember based on feel--not necessarily science :)

15. Jan 19, 2016 at 2:00 AM
    mello03

mello03 Dr. Dirty

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 F250 6.7
    I have ran both KO and KO2 on Tacomas. The KO on my 04 and the KO2 on my 16. 12 years in between because I thought the KO sucked balls so bad. I couldn't keep them balanced and when I lived in Tahoe I thought snow traction was pretty weak. They were fine on fire roads, but I swore them off after running them for 15k miles. The KO2 is a way better tire, and I was skeptical. Even though the tread pattern is similar, I think the small differences, tread blocks, and diff in compound is enough to make a huge difference. They're quieter as well. YMMV.

Joe23 likes this.
  16. Jan 19, 2016 at 7:54 AM
    dontstealmyride

dontstealmyride Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD sport MGM sortbed
    watch the weight on the KO2 as well. they are a good 10 lbs heavier then other tires in their class and size and 18lbs heavier then stock. your mpg's will take a hit. if that doesn't matter to you then get the KO2's are the best tire available.

17. Jan 19, 2016 at 8:05 AM
    gray223

gray223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Get the st maxx. They ride like a less aggressive at. Minimal ride noise. Traction is great with everything.

RogueTRD likes this.
  18. Jan 19, 2016 at 8:07 AM
    Jarod

Jarod Active Member

Member:
    My general grabbers never once broke traction coming down i70 6% grade with sweeping turns in a fully loaded grand cherokee after days of mudding. I'm super impressed and will buy them again and again

19. Jan 19, 2016 at 8:55 AM
    LowcountryScout

LowcountryScout Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR 4x4 DCSB SW
    I like my KO2s. We have all kinds on our work trucks...Duratracs, BFG KOs/KO2s, Goodyear SilentArmors being the vast majority. We use them off road almost everyday. Most of the guys upstate stick with the Duratracs or Mud Terrains. Us coastal guys have had some issues with the Duratracs on slippery boat ramps any heavy boats. I put the KO2s on my personal truck. They've outperformed the original KOs. Have the SilentArmors on my work truck currently. Thank God for a winch.

20. Jan 19, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    codename607

codename607 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Like a few others have mentioned I would go for the Cooper AT3s. But if you want a more aggressive looking tire go for the ST Maxxs. As most of us on here spend 75% of our time driving on road and 25% off road, a true all terrain tire vs a mud tire will do just fine.

I've been down the road a few times with having mud tires and they are a pain for me. In some cases it's hard to fine a shop that will balance them, and then you have to make sure they balance them correctly. After that you will need to rotate them at least every 3-5k miles to prevent tire cupping. Did I mention that most mud tires are also heavier than all terrains. Being heavier will cause more damage, in the long run, to your truck and less MPGs. Also, all terrain tires seem to last longer than mud tires.

Toyota Kawasaki and jayq760 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top