1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best bang for your buck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bengland25, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dec 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 [OP] Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Hey TW,

I have been thinking about getting myself a little Christmas present this year and wanted to know what everyone's opinion was for the best bang for your buck for mods. Wether it be for performance or strictly aesthetics. I am planning on keeping in the ballpark of anywhere between $0-500.

Interested in exhausts, lifts, lighting, satoshi grill, bumpers, scangauge II, etc.

I'm open to any and all opinions. Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were!

Hopefully some good stuff gets going on here!

And for all intensive purposes have some damn fun with this! Idc if it's ridiculous or not! Haha

2. Dec 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    johnanm

johnanm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Up
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab 2.7L Prerunner
    Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" front shocks on stock springs, AFE ProDry drop-in, white DTRLs, Sylvania ZXE headlamps, DeeZee bed mat, Tailgate hose clamp mod, cheap snap craigslist tonneau, Weathertech vent visors, secondary air filter removed, Class III hitch
    For less than $50 you should put a pair of Sylvania Silverstar headlamps in. Huge difference over stock, and the white color is nice as well.

3. Dec 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    For sure man, always an excellent option! Might have to take care of that

4. Dec 13, 2011 at 12:02 AM
    Umrunner

Umrunner Caltanian

Member:
    Around.
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC OR Timberland Mica. 6 speed.
    Leer 100xr with adventure package, duratrack's, weathertech's, demello sliders, billie 5100's all around, URD short shifter, Diff breather mod. Hiese lightbar. Grillcraft grill. PIAA 520 severere weather driving lights. Other random stuff as well.
    Putting in the 5100's was one of the better things I have done for my truck. The ride is much nicer, and the ability to adjust it in the future is a great bonus. I see you have the ready lift in there, but the quality of the billies is amazing.
    Sliders are also right up there. Not only are they great off road protection, they prevent many a parking lot door dings. They pay for themselves very quickly.
    If you own a manual transmission truck, and you have not put in the urd short shift kit, your missing out..

Currently putting in the lights behind the grill, which aught work out to be a real nice touch as well. I do a fair bit of severe weather driving, so the addition of them is not only a good looking thing, but a very functional thing as well.

5. Dec 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    new audio system or head unit? maybe some wet okoles too

6. Dec 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    I couldn't STAND the crappy radio, so that was the first thing to go. A double DIN stereo fits in great, and even with the original crappy speakers, God, what a difference....
    But it's what matters most to you is where you should start.:D

7. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Stereo & speaker upgrade for sure is the best bang for the buck IMO.

8. Dec 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Did you use the original coils with the 5100? ive heard a lot of guys doing that but when i called my local suspension shop they had very strong opinions about that..

Whats the major difference with the bolt-on and weld-on sliders? will i ever really notice a large difference?

you have a satoshi grill so you have more access or you go with a grillcraft?

what brand did you go with for your double-din? been looking into alpine and pioneers..

THANKS! :cheers:

9. Dec 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    AUDIO--#1
    Real BANG for you buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Dec 17, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    As far as the sliders it depends on what you're doing. If you just want them for looks and light off roading bolt on are fine. But any serious off roading where they may need to support the weight of the truck you will absolutely need weld ons.

11. Dec 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    What set-up you recommend? most companies have about the same performance as others. so I am not sure what most people go with. my dad has a bitchen pioneer double-din, but that thing was like $900. My GF bought me 2 - 10" rockford fosgate subs, only issue with that is that i have an 09' access cab and have no fuckin' idea where to put those since i have that shitty transformer looking sub in the back. Don't want to loose space by putting those in the back seat so I need to figure that out... any suggestions?

:D

12. Dec 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    major price difference between the two? thinking weld-on are the better way to go

13. Dec 17, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I think they generally cost the same.

14. Dec 17, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    ok cool thanks man! may have to invest in some weld-on sliders:bananadance:

15. Dec 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    foxmotox7

foxmotox7 We'll see said the zen master

Member:
    First Name:
    Fox
    Goin where the wind don't blow so strange
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD-OR
    aFe Pro Dry Filter; Weathertech Digital Fit Mats; BFG AT/TA KO 265-75-16; Weatherguard Black Saddle Box; Truxedo Tonneau Cover; DeeZee Bed Mat; AVH-4300DVD w/ SiriusXM, Backup Camera; AMP Moto X-Tender; Adventure Truck Tent
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P...6F7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324172056&sr=8-1

16. Dec 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    I ordered Avid step bars. Good alternative to sliders if you dont do hardcore off roading, and they're a great value.

Other than that... maybe.. Window Tint? Lighted 4x4 switch? New Decals? Weathertechs? Wet Okoles? There is a decent 'light' mod list... and if you want to go the easy/cheap route, go get yourself a can of Plasti-derp and black out your badges, protect your door sil, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top