1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best brand of brakes for Tundra brake upgrade

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by munkel, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Feb 9, 2016 at 3:13 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    since you're doing the upgrade you wouldn't need the drilled/slotted since you are getting more surface area to dissipate heat to begin with. the holes in the rotor helps cooling but unless you're desert racing you probably won't generate the amount of heat. it also introduces points of failure throughout.

I used EBCs standard replacement (no TBU for me yet) and it brakes a little better than stock.

also keep in mind the material and look at reviews for the amount of brake dust they generate.

2. Feb 9, 2016 at 3:27 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    This is why I recommended OEM pads. I've never seen any other pad produce as little dust as OEM.

3. Feb 19, 2016 at 3:42 PM
    munkel

munkel [OP] fka unregistered lurker...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Dbl Cab V6 4WD Tacoma
    Icon Suspension, 285/75/16 BFG MT's, Steeeckers, Custom Bed Mounted Tool Storage, Wilderness Trail rack, SoftTopper, K&N CAI, Hella Aux lights, PIAA Fogs, Warn M8000, Elite Front Bumper, BAMF sliders, All-Pro leafs and shackles
    I did the upgrade with Callahan parts, they work ok, better than before at least. I have a lot more pedal travel though, going to try and bleed again this weekend. I'll post up how it turns out. I was expecting a night and day difference, didn't see it. Better, yes, incredible, no, at least not yet. Maybe better pads would help too.

4. Feb 19, 2016 at 3:57 PM

-40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Camburg LT & 17 OR OME BP-51
    1 st Gen TRD Supercharger. URD 7th Inj. Camburg 4x4 LT Kit. Tundra Brakes. 3rd Gen just get’n started, OME BP51 Dakar HD, Camburg UCA & various armor.
    For what it's worth I used Napa Eclipse Calipers, EBC Rotors and EBC Green Pads, ditched the banjo bolts, installed stainless brake lines. Flushed fluid and the pedal feels solid. I've read that the green pads are dusty and don't last long but they perform great. The truck isn't a daily driver so longevity doesn't matter to me.
    Your truck looks good I use to have a 99 that color.

5. Feb 19, 2016 at 4:00 PM
    munkel

munkel [OP] fka unregistered lurker...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Dbl Cab V6 4WD Tacoma
    Icon Suspension, 285/75/16 BFG MT's, Steeeckers, Custom Bed Mounted Tool Storage, Wilderness Trail rack, SoftTopper, K&N CAI, Hella Aux lights, PIAA Fogs, Warn M8000, Elite Front Bumper, BAMF sliders, All-Pro leafs and shackles
    Thanks, yeah I forgot to mention I used the wheelers stainless braided lines. Had to use an extra washer to get the line to tighten down to the caliper, otherwise the bolt was to long. Used the bolts that came with the lines.

6. Dec 2, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    For the Wheeler's brake lines. Should I order the Tacoma ones or the Tundra ones? since we're doing Tundra brakes...

Products Discussed in

To Top