1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Camper Shell

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by dlarso, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Jan 17, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    ScrippsRanch67

ScrippsRanch67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Pre-Runner 2wd Quad Cab short bed
    Fiberglass shell
    My Toyota buddy is my German Shepherd "Santino"

2. Jan 17, 2022 at 10:53 AM
    lalonguecarabine762

lalonguecarabine762 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brodey
    Vehicle:
    2022 F150 Tremor
    Previous 2016 TRD Offroad
    The RLD is a good unit, I had the previous generation one on my Tacoma. Lightweight with good capacity, more so than a fiberglass topper. Super secure and I never had any worries about someone breaking in and taking my stuff. Being metal you could add whatever magnetic hooks or lights you wanted to it and not do any permanent modifications.

As far as negatives, very minor water seepage in the front corners of the bed, but that could have been handled with a little silicone if one cared enough. Lots of cool components for it, but like the topper itself, rather pricey. Each door has two locks which makes it nice and secure, but somewhat of an annoyance every time I was trying to open everything up. The side doors don't stay shut while off roading if not locked. Mine liked to get loose on the bed rail so I had to keep it tight, would probably look at aftermarket lock nuts or swap them out every year. When they did come loose the camper would only slide an inch or so, but I could tell by how easy it was to open the rear hatch. As with most toppers your rear view is somewhat constricted and good luck seeing through three panes of glass after it has rained.

I know that sounds like a lot of gripes but they are mostly all minor. My biggest concern was weight and security, and that is where the RLD really shines.

iT1J4y_-tFOhdSQUA-Q8CWxwj6F0wew0pDIYwCTe_f936ae127ada8910757da789dcc3f58efca969a0.jpg

3. Jan 17, 2022 at 12:18 PM
    WELLSPRING

WELLSPRING Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCLB
    Leer 100XR cap, Total Chaos bed stiffners, OEM PRO Intake Flow Accelerator, Bed Mat
    Whatever brand you purchase new, make sure to get one with windoors and the rack rails installed from the factory. I have both a ARE and Leer, and find that the Leer is better quality. The Windoors make it a lot easier to open and reach in to get items from that front of the bed near the cab instead of crawling in to the bed reach for them.

Just my 2 cents.

4. Apr 9, 2022 at 10:58 PM
    Jlarios956

Jlarios956 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josue
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen PreRunner

Hey bro, can I ask how or where you got the wiring harness for the keyless entry with the OEM key fob? I broke a key this past week on my SnugTop Super Sport with the flush mount lock, so I’m trying to take measures that doesn’t happen again. Any info is appreciated.

5. Apr 9, 2022 at 11:40 PM
    brian2sun

brian2sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 TRD OR DCSB ‘17 4Runner Limited ‘97 4Runner SR5
    If you don’t have one, you need a remote tailgate lock first (I mean, if you’re gonna do one, you gotta do the other). I put an OEM one in, but I’m sure the pop ‘n lock brand is similar. Then you gotta buy the keyless entry kit from Snugtop or whoever. I ordered my shell with it installed from the factory, but it definitely doesn’t look complicated at all to do it after the fact. Then I bought a nice and easy little harness from @Puppypunter to tap the tailgate lock for the shell lock so no factory wires were harmed during the production. This is the way.

6. Apr 10, 2022 at 12:13 AM
    n3w2m0rr0w

n3w2m0rr0w New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road LB
    Just went to my local shop who deals with all the majors brands. I originally wanted to get a Snugtop. I was told that the company that owns Leer (I guess they are called TAG) bought Snugtop and late last year moved the factory from Long Beach to Mexicali. With the move almost the entire factory staff was let go. He was saying that with the new staff the quality hasn’t been quite up to par and suggested maybe another brand. I don’t know how accurate this info is but he seemed pretty neutral as to which brand I should purchase. He said he’d put in an order for me but now I’m maybe thinking Leer but he was also saying the windoors (which I definitely want) are notorious for leaks in the Leers. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

7. Apr 10, 2022 at 12:20 AM
    Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 T Force
    upload_2022-4-10_2-18-25.jpgI’m looking as well but most of what I’ve seen looks like this and I don’t love it for my truck. Maybe it’s different in real life? I’d like something that slants down towards the back about as much as this slants up or straight even with the line of the cab. Basically like it came that way and not just another add on looking thing.

8. Apr 10, 2022 at 4:43 PM
    Jlarios956

Member:
    First Name:
    Josue
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen PreRunner

@brian2sun bro thanks so much that was very informative. So I was looking up multiple types of power tailgate locks, and I’m basically seeing one of two: one is the wiring and that I assume uses your existing tailgate, and the 2nd is the wiring and whole new latch. I don’t want to be “that guy,” but would you be able to have any links that can guide me down the right direction? This keyless entry for the camper seems like a pretty deep rabbit hole, but I have been wanting power locking tailgates for a while now. I attached a link from one I saw on Amazon that I think will do the job.l for the locking tailgate. Any info is greatly appreciated, and please tag me since I’m not getting notified for this threat. Thanks a lot in advance brother.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LFM3OKU

9. Apr 10, 2022 at 5:27 PM
    brian2sun

brian2sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 TRD OR DCSB ‘17 4Runner Limited ‘97 4Runner SR5
    That’s true, Snugtop moved and quality has been suffer
    Your signature says you have a 2nd gen, so I’m not sure what tailgate lock kit you buy for that, I can only direct you to the one I got for my 3rd gen (part # PK3B6-35JSO). I don’t think it will work on a 2nd gen tho.

Jlarios956[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 10, 2022 at 5:41 PM
    Fat taco

Fat taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD SB offroad
    Pending
    Another vote for RSI smart capScreenshot_20220321-210306_Gallery.jpg

11. Apr 11, 2022 at 5:29 PM
    Jlarios956

Member:
    First Name:
    Josue
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen PreRunner
    I appreciate the advice. I’ll have to do a bit of research on my end.

12. Apr 11, 2022 at 8:38 PM
    bush rat

bush rat Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    2022 6MT Access Cab
    im familiar with C clamp system to securely hold down the canopy.
    previous post mentioned the canopy mount bolts becoming loose when attached to factory bed rail.
    Can the C clamp system be used (have enough room) if bed rail remains installed?

Products Discussed in

To Top