1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best coaxial speakers 6.5'' for the money

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Niknaq, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    Niknaq

Niknaq [OP] Phightin Phils 2008 Champs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4wd 2.7L Regular Cab
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.
    I am looking for the best coaxial 6.5'' speakers available for the money. I have been thinking of power bass, memphis audio, or polk audio. These are going in my Regular Cab with no amp or aftermarket headunit. Any ideas?

thanks

2. Sep 8, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    Niknaq

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.
    bump

3. Sep 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    supersuk

supersuk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dcab TRD Sport Magnetic Gray
    Sounds!
    I have a set of Polk DB651 Coaxials that sound great. Changed to an active component set so I don't need them anymore. If you wanna purchase them, PM me. I have everything that it originally came with.

4. Sep 8, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
  5. Sep 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Well RMS is where you should start, the stock HU pumps out about 12 watts per channel so you should get a speaker with that rating or close. You're gonna have to upgrade the HU or amp if you want better sound and get the appropriate speakers.

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    thegreatsam

thegreatsam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    I'll assume 2 things:

1) You upgraded your stock head unit with something that has more power (replaced stock cd player with an Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, etc)

2) You want the best bang for your buck, not the best and most expensive

I would look at the Alpine Type-S, Infinity Reference, and Polk db series (in that order). If want to bump up to the Alpine Type-R or Infinity Kappa series, though, check your HU's RMS out. Those speakers are pretty much made for an external amp with the levels they want.

7. Sep 9, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    Niknaq

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    ^^ I plan on running a 200 watt 2 channel small amp. So far I like Alpine R's and also those Image dynamics look good. Anymore advice would greatly be appreciated.

8. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    dump the stock hu and get something good while you are at it.

9. Sep 10, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    Niknaq

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    I wish I had the money.

10. Sep 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Best for the money is relative to your budget. I am buying Focal K2 Components for the front and Polyglass 165 CVX for the rear because I cant afford the K2 coax AND components and ca onl aford the frns 2 and rear polyglass. If I had to run coax up front Id be looking at the K2 coax but not sure if Id go that route as the tweeter is smaller than the 165 KR I am going with.

I really dont lime ANY of the Polk speakers for the money. Every price range they sell speakers in has a beter speaker by someone else. The JL Audio C5 6.5" coax are really good with tons of midbass, but cost almost $300. Worth listening to if you are in that price bracket alng with the Focal 165 CVX that will run about $240 (the ONLY polyglass Focal speaker I like).

My final reccomendation is to ignore the speakers I just told you about becasue its a total waste to keep the stock head unit and get good speakers. It will sound horrible. Id actually get an aftermarket head unit instead of any speakers at all. In fact I am doing my system in stages and right now I have an aftermarket deck and stock non JBL speakers and its easily twice as good as stock.

11. Sep 11, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Personally I think the Image Dynamics CTX line is the best bang for the buck. I currently use the topof the line XS series in both my competition cars but have actually considered doing an all CTX setup in my new car so I can compete with the "entry" level gear from ID and show people how dang good they actually sound......might do it you never know. :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top