1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Dash Cam for Taco

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Talk' started by pandataco, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Nov 1, 2018 at 8:02 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    my old cheap chinese dash cam finally crapped out after 5 years

just got a dual card mini0806 front only, thing is baller for the price. running 64gb and 128gb in it, in cinema mode.

2. Nov 2, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is one of the wonderful reasons to NOT buy a dash camera with a battery in it. Frankly, there isn't a good reason for them to have a battery to begin with, since the car has its own battery which is PLENTY big for running a camera. If you are in a crash that disables your main battery, you don't actually need to keep recording past the moment of impact, since that data won't have any important data -- which is only what CAUSED the crash.

Of course, you could potentially have a few layers of buffering before the data is actually written to the flash card, BUT, it isn't so much that you wouldn't be able to flush the data in a few milliseconds while still powered by a small capacitor.

These batteries that may be installed in cameras -- they are high density, but CHEAP batteries. Lithium Ion, and everybody has heard of all the apple and samsung cell phones that have caught themselves on FIRE due to battery failure. Cheaper and crappier battery and that only increases the chance of catastrophic failure, and the potential for actually burning your car down. Is that something that is worth the risk? I'd say no. Not without a serious benefit, which doesn't exist.

3. Nov 2, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    Trouble_The_Tacoma

Trouble_The_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Conrad
  4. Nov 2, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    The spec says that the sensors are IMX323, which is a MIPI CSI sensor. Its hard to tell what is going on with the wire, but assuming that its carrying the MIPI signal and not a USB signal, then the wire length could very well be very limited, and in fact the existing wire length may already be WAY longer than MIPI specifications allow.

For a while, I was using a MIPI sensor with an extended length wire of about 3-4 feet -- it ran from a camera mounted on my back window to a raspberry pi zero mounted in the overhead console. Initially, it did not work well at all, so I worked around the issue by shielding the MIPI wire using aluminum duct tape. This was way outside of spec, but because of the added shielding, worked quite well until I had constructed my first prototype custom radio, at which point I switched from the MIPI camera on the back, to a USB camera -- the custom radio would be just way too far from the camera to make the MIPI work well, so I couldn't justify the work to adapt the MIPI port of the new SBC to the camera.

I am using 2 UVC cameras. They are "exposed board" cameras, 1080p, onboard H264 encoders. I record from those cameras with ffmpeg and controlled by a custom daemon. My front camera is screwed into the front surface of the rear view mirror, its USB wire runs up into the headliner, right to the pillar, and down into the dashboard. The rear camera is mounted on the driver's side of the center panel at the top, its wire runs above the headliner to the same point as the wire from the front camera, and follows the same path across and down.

https://www.amazon.com/ELP-IMX322-Sensor-Camera-Module/dp/B071DD9YQD
    (note: DO NOT get the 180 degree lens. They are not compatible with the large sensor on these cameras. The 170 degree lens is great though.)

Now of course, those are just cameras, no facility to record without adding something extra. I'm using, as I mentioned, a completely custom built radio (I'm a computer engineer), but you could, with a little work, use a more dedicated system for recording, like a raspberry pi SBC. I was using a raspberry pi zero, but it only has 1 USB port available (one of the reasons I was using a MIPI camera for the back). Any of the "standard" raspberry pi's would do the job, and since you would be just storing data (not processing the video in any way), you wouldn't need a pi3. Even a pi1 would do the job.

5. Nov 4, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    Ensemble88

Ensemble88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black OR DCLB
    Big ones are King suspension, SSO bumper w/winch, Pelfreybuilt sliders.
    I've had an issue with my dashcam draining my battery. Should I upgrade my battery with something nice, like a Northstar? Or get one of those external battery packs just for the dashcam? Or is there another option I'm not thinking of?

6. Nov 4, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    crackils

crackils Sith Lord Jar Jar

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Brooksville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB Off-Road - KINGS/5125s AF
    I did the same thing, bought the V1P on Prime Day and I am really impressed with it. Only thing that I had to alter was the mounting tape, the tape provided was not nearly strong enough for some reason and frequently fell from the windshield. I changed it out for heavy duty tape and haven't had a problem since.

7. Nov 5, 2018 at 3:35 AM
    Burritoma

Burritoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SR5 V6 DCSB
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Nov 5, 2018 at 5:40 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    Connect it to the ACCESSORY power, so when you turn off your key, it is powered off.

9. Nov 5, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    Ensemble88

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black OR DCLB
    Good idea, but I want to use the parking mode feature and the dashcam's battery is not nearly long enough to leave it over night.

10. Nov 5, 2018 at 6:01 AM
    96carboard

Member:
    Then you're pretty well stuck. Its either going to drain your battery, or you won't be able to record right through the night.
    I suggest that "parking mode" is probably intended for brief stops at stores and so on, rather than perpetual recording. For overnight, it might be a better idea to install a stationary security camera plugged into the mains.

Ensemble88[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Nov 5, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    raskal

raskal Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD MGM
  12. Feb 8, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    pandataco

pandataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Sport 4x4
    The card that was recommended to be used with my Rexing V1P started giving me problems about a week ago, on a road trip no less. Tried to format the card a couple times and also tried to update firmware. Towards the end of it the card stopped reading, not sure what caused it to fail never had a micro SD fail.

Just in case anyone else has a similar issue, seems pretty common when I googled it. Lots of different causes though. I ended up putting in a temporary one but it's not the right grade for dash cams. Thinking about this one, they are so cheap now! And I think 64gb would be more than enough on the Rexing: https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-128...8-3&keywords=kingston+canvas+go+micro+sd&th=1

Ensemble88 likes this.
  13. Feb 17, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    Ensemble88

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black OR DCLB
    So I've got good news and bad news. I broke down and bought a cellink neo battery pack. I wanted longer life than the voltage shut off for the battery would give me. The bad news, I found this after the fact...worth a look if anyone is looking for an external battery. I copied the post from a BMW forum Google brought up. seems to be a cheaper option than the cellink neo...

RAVPower 57.6Wh Element Car Jump Starter. It has 50% more battery capacity at less than half the cost and as a bonus, the battery pack has additional functionality. Unlike virtually all other battery packs which are LiPo, this one is LiFePO4 (same as F8x) so its operating and storage temperatures are much higher and vehicle appropriate. It comes with an 18mo warranty.

Original post link
    https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23043410

On a separate note: Is there a good ACC fuse I can tap into under the driver's side kick panel for my dashcam battery? Cellink recommends a 15a fuse. I don't see too may 15a fuses there and I'm not sure if any of them are ACC.

14. Feb 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    Wood Butcher

Wood Butcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    For those of you looking for a basic dashcam, I installed the Aukey in my daughter’s car (new driver) and hardwired it with a kit that runs along the headliner, down the A pillar, and into the fuse box. It loops and overwrites on the micro SD cars when it’s full. Less than $100 for camera and wiring kit.

Video quality is pretty good, and it is so small that it isn’t really even visible from the outside. Has a windshield mount that allows the camera to be removed easily.

15. Apr 2, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Rooney24

Rooney24 Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road
    I bought an Aukey, too, due to the capacitor instead of a battery. From what I read it handles the heat very well, which is key since I live in Tucson.

And thanks to everyone in the forum who posted tips and pictures of their installations. I was able to get it set up and wired in about 15 minutes, and it looks great - the wires are completely hidden. Thanks again!

16. Jul 11, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    ready6delta

ready6delta REGULAR GUY

Member:
    First Name:
    JACOB
    Finally back in the PNW! Lake Stevens/ Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Black pinstriped 2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    IT NEVER ENDS..........
    Any updates on cams, batteries or SD card failure? looking at a few of the options mentioned in here.

17. Jul 11, 2019 at 10:17 PM
    Rooney24

Rooney24 Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road
    It's been over 100 degrees all week and mine is still humming. I'll pull the card this weekend, if I can remember, and make sure it's still working as well.

18. Oct 16, 2019 at 1:25 PM
    Vanderjdm

Vanderjdm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Off Road
    5% Tint, ARE V-Series w/ Yack Rack, Ebay Grill, Emblem Black Out Kit, Bumpershellz, Predator Tube Steps, Radioknobs by Tacowiede, Kicker Speaker Upgrade
    Could you point me in the direction of tips and pictures for this camera? Anything you found particularly helpful would be greatly appreciated. I almost got in an accident recently due to another driver not paying attention and want to pull the trigger on a camera now.

19. Nov 1, 2020 at 9:07 AM
    Acill

Acill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Port Hueneme, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I just ordered the Viofo A129 Duo after being hit in my 2nd parking lot hit and run. It's got good reviews. Hope it's a good pick.

20. Nov 1, 2020 at 9:59 AM
    pandataco

pandataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Sport 4x4
    Cool! Hope it works well! Make sure it has power all the time and your battery is OK to keep it running(or sensor mode w/e it's called) especially if you are using it for hit & runs

Products Discussed in

To Top