1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best First Dirt Bike to Buy

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by socalexpeditions, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Nov 6, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    socalexpeditions

socalexpeditions [OP] IG: @socalexpeditions

Member:
    I've been looking at dirt bikes for quite some time. I can ride a motorcycle just fine, but want something to bring on offroading trips with me. I was seriously considering a supermoto, but going to stay away from riding on the roads for now.

I was thinking a YZ250 is a good first bike? Really don't have any friends in the bike world, so nobody to ask.

Thanks in advance!

2. Nov 6, 2019 at 8:54 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    If you’re going to carry it on a hitch tray and on rough terrain I’d get something light. A big wheel 125/150 is a lot of fun and easy to haul around.

3. Nov 8, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    What kind of terrain/riding will you be doing with it?

If you're looking at trails (sounds like you are), DO NOT get a motocross bike. Get a TRAIL bike. A DRZ, KDX, WR, EXC, CRF-X, etc... MX bikes have stiff suspension, low flywheel weights (easy to stall), and their seats might as well be bricks. They are terrible trail bikes unless you go race pace, or heavily modify the suspension and engine characteristics.

My friend had a YZ400 as his first (and only, lol) bike, and I could out ride him on my bike, a DRZ250 without much effort. Some of that was just rider skill as I used to race MTBs and I'm fairly aggressive, but he was just scared of the power that thing had, and never even came close to using the power and handling.

You should also consider if you want a plated bike or not. If it's plated, you don't need to worry about where you ride it. A green stick bike (California) is the only thing you should be considering, IMO. red stickers are really restricted.

I absolutely love my DRZ250 as a first bike. It's been 100% reliable over these last 12-15 years, and especially with a Yoshi pipe on it, it has a decent amount of power, dual disk brakes, etc... I am a fan or an under powered bike vs. an over powered bike (i.e. MX bike). An under powered bike will teach you how to RIDE it, and push the bike and yourself to the limits, rather than, like in my friend's case, never really being able to USE the power/handling.

Think about giving a 16 year old with a brand new license a Porsche 911, and see if they ever actually learn how to drive.

4. Nov 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Depending on where you live and plan to ride in California, make sure you get something that can be green stickered at the minimum. Personally, I would recommend a road-licensed 250 - 400. A lot of dirt roads adjacent to trails in the Sierras are open to street licensed vehicles only, and with the popularity of street-legal KTM’s and Husky’s there’s a lot of decent bikes available. Though I ride an overweight DR650 ...

socalexpeditions[OP] likes this.
  5. Nov 9, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    Harvo

Harvo Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    A good first, reliable, light, and fun bike is a KTM 200EXC or 200XC. Getting a little harder to find but the fun factor for woods riding is through the roof. Nice light clutch pull too.

socalexpeditions[OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 10, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    Stoked

Stoked Not So Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Celina, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR
    I used to have a Yamaha XT225 (dual sport) that I bought to ride to work regularly to save gas. It was not my first bike, but the first bike I owned that was not just a road bike. I really liked it, and regretted selling it. I'd like to have another (something in the 250-400 range) so that I can carry on the back of the truck without putting too much weight back there. Gives me a back up vehicle should something happen to the truck and I need to go for help, or something I can use to scout ahead to make sure I can get the truck thru.

7. Nov 10, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    My Name is Rahl

My Name is Rahl Well-Known Member

Member:
  8. Nov 10, 2019 at 1:39 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    For a first bike or a last bike.

Honda. It's funner to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

9. Nov 10, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    That last statement haha, so true!

This is what I'm looking at. I took your advice on the trail bike > MX bike, as it makes complete sense. Thank you for your well thought out explanation and opinion!

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/anaheim-2006-yamaha-wr250f/7012414565.html

jbrandt[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Nov 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    socalexpeditions

Member:
    I have been looking for them as a friend also suggested it - Not too much luck

11. Nov 10, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    Yeah, that's a good bike. Good price. I'm sure he's shooting for getting 2K.

You can always low ball him if you're that type. There's always lots of bikes for sale. If this one is obviously cared for tho, good price.

12. Nov 10, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    Nunya Bizness

Nunya Bizness A-A-Ron aka Stunny Gunny

Member:
    I have owned 2 Yz250s good bikes. Yamaha is a good choice, but I'd also recommend looking into Kawasaki.

Products Discussed in

To Top