1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best handgun for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by wildjerseyfirefighter, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Jan 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Well-Known Member

Member:
    East of the Mississippi, South of the Ohio
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    modified for light trail use
    i'll never question Glock as a sound solution, just that it's not a good fit for me. I, personally, would never feel comfortable carrying one, and it wouldn't be b/c I was worried it wouldn't fire, it would be b/c I'm not very accurate or practiced with one.

Just wanted to make that clear.

2. Jan 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:

I think you're more accurate and able than you let on.

You seem to have a lot of knowlege on guns.

Gun folks are the best people that I know. Most of them honest and "salt of the earth" type folks.

I'm the only gun guy that I don't like.:)

3. Jan 18, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    kidwok

kidwok Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '08 Dbl cab Lngbd Sport Indigo
    None (YET!!)
    Awesome vid. I can't wait to get out and try it. Paper beware! I also have nothing against Glocks. Most of the cops I hang out with use them. I just wanted the external safety for my wife, my kids, and of course my self.

4. Jan 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    H&K - USP 40/45. Light weight, easy to manage, dark in color to minimize someone spotting it. Then get yourself a nice THS holseter, in the pants for minimal exposure and easy comfort when walking around.

5. Jan 18, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    XD 9mm service model with thumb saftey. Trust me, you need to handle this pistol before you make a decision.

6. Jan 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    I like the way you think.:)

7. Jan 18, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    I would say he needs to actually shoot one moreso than just handle one. The reason I say this is b/c I bought one based on how it felt, but I sold it b/c of the way it shot.

8. Jan 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    x2

bought my xd on recommendations along and ended up selling it because it didnt fit my hand right and i couldnt shoot it worth a shit

9. Jan 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I meant rent one.
    That's too bad you didn't like yours. I've had 4 so far and everyone has been golden.

10. Jan 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    Bill Brasky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper

I, uhh, wish I had ole Todd's money. Somehow it seems life would be a little sweeter if we all had real M4's and a Barett 82A1 to play with.

11. Jan 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter [OP] I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    good advice fellas, sorry i havent really been keeping up on this thread. Still recovering from the flu.

glocks and 9mm's are good points..There always up at gun shows and such, and pretty cheap compared to some of the others ive noticed.

12. Feb 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    fireball

fireball Member

Member:
    Ya need some hands on advice. Stop reading about it. Find a friend with a collection of firearms to learn from or find a shooting school to attend, join the military or law enforcement. It ain't cheap with the price of firearms and especially ammo today. For self defense you need at least a 9mm/.38/.357/.380 caliber firearm, brand does not matter as long as your hand is comfortable and can put rounds on target and the firearm is reliable. To be proficent, it will take maybe 2,000 to 5,000 rounds initially because of development of your muscle memory, after that you need to shoot at least a box or two monthly for self defense, alot more if you really enjoy it and a whole bunch more if a competitor or law enforcement or military. It is a whole lot of fun. Best advice I could give is when any firearm is in your hand, put the front sight on target and constantly be saying to yourself front sight,front sight, front sight,front sight if you want to hit your target. Get Some!
    Good Luck
    Fireball

13. Feb 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    wes

wes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 DC sport silver V6 auto
    URD CAI,URD Y-Pipe,,Wet-okle covers,Silverstar headlgt bulbs,Undercover bed cover,black nerf bars,Alpine 9883 Alpine speakers,Pioneer 10" sub,SIRIUS sat. Redline hood struts, white gauge led and shifter light "mod"
    A 9mm FS92 Beretta (i have one) is buttery smooth and on spot accurate.Shoot brass case quality ammo and this piece will never let you down!!

14. Feb 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    ramriezcuthair

ramriezcuthair Active Member

Member:
    corning
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma sr5 6
    6" fabtech lift 215 75 r16
    id say go with a 1911 45. acp and get a conversion kit to a 22LR and when you feel ready switch it back to a 45. cant go wrong there it has the knock down power you want

15. Feb 18, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    TacoMon

TacoMon Northern Alliance Gynecologist

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SB TRD Sport Indigo Ink Pearl
    TRD stickers removed, oem running boards, ipod2car, Combi-cam locks for bed storage doors, Covermaster E-300 tonneau cover

A medium frame .357 with a four inch barrel loaded with stout .38+P's is what used when I taught my wife to shoot. Not by coincidence this has also been our "house gun" for some sixteen years now. Shoot mild .38's at the range and save the heavy loads for when they are hopefully never needed.

A revolver is simple and reliable. In a high-stress situation even well trained people make mistakes and forgetting to take off a safety, or having a gun go "click" are the things that will get you killed.

Products Discussed in

To Top