1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best jack and jack stand brand recommendations

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Bkicks333, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Jul 19, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    Bkicks333

Bkicks333 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    Trd offroad 4x4
    Looking for a jack and jack stand brand that is reputable and puts out quality products. Don't really want to spend 4-500 on the pro eagle but a couple hundred is OK. I can carry it In my back seat or leave it in garage doesn't matter as I don't have kids or anyone who sits back there. Seen some other post about this but not really a ton of brand specific recommendations. Any help is appreciated.

2. Jul 19, 2022 at 8:40 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simple quality 3 ton+ bottle jack, a small piece of plywood as a base and a couple of small 2x4's cut up and you'll be ready for anything.

What I do is leave it in my offroad bin, with my inflator and ropes.

This is what I have I think. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Black-Steel-Hydraulic-Bottle-Jacks/50273039 Works great. I've used it handful of times.

I have a full sized low pro jack that I use in my garage. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0897YBHSQ

Torin is a good brand for jacks and Big Red is another good choice.

I only have a full sized because I do a lot of winter tire swaps at home. Otherwise the bottle jack is all I need.

3. Jul 19, 2022 at 8:42 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    I bought this from Costco for $250. Made from aluminum and steel. Works great!
    [​IMG]

4. Jul 19, 2022 at 8:45 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    The Harbor Freight ones seem popular on here. I'm using an old Arcan XL 35R from Costco (discontinued) and will likely replace it with a 3 ton Daytona jack from Harbor Freight soon.

5. Jul 19, 2022 at 11:35 PM
    TA2016

TA2016 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AT V6 4x4 ACLB P&T Package Red
    I just rebuilt my 30 year old floor jack and now it work like new again. I realize some on TW may be looking for your first floor or bottle jack, but if you have a old one consider rebuilding it before buying a new one. I found this video helpful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sk0FF6GFlqA

cammerv8 and elmontemike like this.
  6. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:10 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    HF Daytona Long Reach. So nice after a regular jack for the last 25yrs.

Rock Lobster likes this.
  7. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:19 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Same. Essential as a garage floor jack, but it lives in the garage.

The jack that stays bolted to my trailer tongue is a unijack 3 ton. Fantastic for field repairs.

upload_2022-7-20_7-19-20.jpg

The stock bottle jack still lives in my truck. :anonymous::anonymous::anonymous:

8. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    It wasn't a bottle jack, but another HF floor jack that didn't have rapid pump. It worked great until I put the new suspension on, then just didn't have enough height for tire rotations. Just enough of an excuse that I had been looking for to get a Daytona.

I also have an HF air assisted 30ton bottle jack. Super handy and comes along for trips.

Rock Lobster[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:28 AM
    elmontemike

elmontemike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike

I carry the same one in my truck.

Rock Lobster[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:28 AM
    coma toy

coma toy Off Road Taco

Member:
    I carry a 2"x6" board to go under my jack. Works with my 2" lift, no problem.

11. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:30 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike

I need to rebuild my old floor Jack too.

12. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    I'm in the market too, but lots of HF recommendations here. Last time I checked HF didn't make the 'best' of anything. I'm sure as hell not getting under a vehicle with HF anything. Who makes the good stuff?

13. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:36 AM
    Rock Lobster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Oops, my mistake, I got the HF pitts rapid pump. The HF version of the HF jack. :cookiemonster:

I waffled on buying a floor jack after dropping some money on suspension, but I don't think I could have done the swap without it.

I'll have to check out their bottle jack line. It would be nice to have a backup when I'm away from the trailer.

PXL_20220605_142436836.jpg

14. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:41 AM
    Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB
    As far as jack stands go...Big Red, Torin, ProLift, etc...they're all the same, just painted different colors. Go with 6 tons. While the 3 ton is certainly strong enough, you'll appreciate the extra height when you need to support the truck by the frame. Big Red is currently on sale for $66.

You need to adjust your view of HF. The Daytona jacks are top notch, nothing beats their Bandlands Apex winch, and their Icon tools are true professional quality. Sure they're still perfectly willing to sell you some junk, but they've got plenty of real tools too.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  15. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:43 AM
    Rock Lobster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    I'm in the camp of "brand doesnt matter as long as you have redundancy." No matter the brand or quality, wheels don't come off unless both jack and a pair of stands are in place. Head and torso does not visit the underside of the vehicle unless jack, stands, and a third redundancy is in place. (Usually wheels laid under the frame rails)

elmontemike likes this.
  16. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:46 AM
    aturk

aturk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Charlotte, NC
    For floor jacks, the Daytona series from HF are fantastic. I've had two since they came out and they work just as good. I'd always advise to get a pair if you can afford it.

I have a HF 1.5 ton jack converted to be a Pro Eagle knockoff with a kit from 911 motorsports. That one stays in the truck (bin in the bed with some basic tools) but I love using it for simple stuff as it has a huge reach and rolls around fantastic.

For jack stands, I have some 3 ton stands and some 2 ton stands. The 3 tons are a little larger, so sometimes I'll just grab a 2 ton. Depends on the use case.

17. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    TexasTacoLT

TexasTacoLT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Offroad
    3" Lift (ToyTech Coilovers and AAL) Bilstein 5100 Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Method Double Standard 17" BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 (Removed) 33" BFG Mud Terrain Tires Colormatched Grill surround HomerTaco mesh grill insert Legacy "Toyota" Emblem Shrockworks plate rear bumper All-Pro plate front bumper w/ foglights All-Pro rock sliders Smoked Tail-lights DIY Steel Tailgate reinforcement Locking Tailgate handle Tint (15%) w/ sunstrip Tyger Tonneau cover (Removed) Bestop Soft Topper Bushwhacker colormatched fender flares DIY 8-ball shift knob DIY Amber LED grill lights DIY Debadged WeatherTech floormats Sudued US Flag door decals T-100 style tailgate decal Two way radio w/ 3' whip antenna Warn 8000lb winch CalTrend Neoprene seat covers DIY Bed tie-down anchors
    I came close to buying something like this. Awesome idea; combining the jack with the stand.

Have you had any issues with this style jack/stand binding when you go to lower it? I ended up deciding against it because it seemed to me that because the lift point and load points are not in line, binding could be an issue. Read a few reviews that confirmed my concern and that was enough for me not to buy one. It would really suck to have the truck jacked up and not be able to lower it back down.

Curious how often you've used it and if you've had any issues.

elmontemike[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:52 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Yeah, redundancy is mandatory.

Reason I won't use HF stuff is multilayered, but I had one of their floor jacks fail on me a number of years ago with no warning...just dropped right before getting jack stands underneath. That doesn't give me much faith in their jack stands either. I've had a number of their tools fail catastrophically over the years - one tried to put my eye out. I keep a few of those security bit sets in the red case around, but that's about as high risk as I'm willing to go with that bunch. I only buy good tools these days & never regret it.

FRE1809 and Rock Lobster[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:56 AM
    Rock Lobster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent

No issues.

I bought mine in 2018, it has been mainly used for my annual trailer bearing/brake maintenance, and it's lifted the truck maybe 2-3x/year to work on something. I have never had a problem lowering it. (with the caveat that you never fully extend the bottle piston either - you always need a little room to lift it to unlock the stand, then lower.)

20. Jul 20, 2022 at 5:58 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike

I’ve only used it one time and I didn’t have any issues with it. Worked perfectly.
    I made sure it was as close to level as possible. I can see it binding if it was off camber.

TexasTacoLT[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top