1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best method for replacing shackles?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by David M, Feb 10, 2012.

1. David M

David M [OP] New Member

Member:
    I searched the forum a little for this question but didn't find exactly what I'm after. Hopefully it's not common a question!

I just purchased a set of ToyTec 1" lift shackles for my 2004 DC Tacoma. I've never done any work with suspension before so no idea what's involved. I know I need to relieve the spring tension somehow, but I don't have a floor jack. I do have a 2 bottle jacks, a hi-lift and an two jack stands. Can I make this work with that equipment or do I need a floor jack?

I've read about two methods for doing this. 1) jack up truck at rear diff; place jack-stands under frame; lower diff until springs are hanging free. 2) place jack between leaf spring and frame; open jack until spring is arched enough to relieve pressure on the shackle.

What's the best method? Safest?

Thanks,
    David

2. 97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    hmm i would use your bottle jack you got under the diff, then support the frame with jack stands. but you may need to lower and lift the vehicle alot, i used a floor jack on my tow hitch, that way was really easy

3. Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Ummm #1 by far. you could also use the high lift on the frame and until the wheels are off the ground and set the frame on the jack stands

4. Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    When I did it I rested the frame on jackstands, then used my floorjack underneath the diff so that I could lower/raise it as needed.

Installing the shackles is pretty darn straight forward. If there is going to be a hard part, that would be removing the stock bolts...this is where an air hammer comes handy! :)

5. David M

David M [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. The jack between spring & frame seemed a little suspect but you never know. I found a floor jack nearby for $50 so maybe I'll just pick one up. Seems like being able to quickly adjust the hight of the diff is what makes it really simple job!

To Top