1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Mod Ever!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by "OldManTan", Jun 7, 2009.

1. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    Great idea. I have been carrying one for years and until last summer I never had to use it. I saw a guy on the side of the interstate with smoke coming of his wheel wells and hood - I jumped out and was able to put it out with my extinguisher. Ironically about a month later just after buying a new one it I came upon a brand new Jaguar starting to burn. A cop ran up with an extinguisher about the same time and we both emptied out on the flames only to have it flare up again - the cop said "gentlemen, we are going to lose this one - everybody get away - now!" I sat in my truck and watched it burn - it was fully involved by the time the fire truck got there. It was sickening to watch. As I drove off I saw the owner sitting in the bar ditch crying...

2. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Originally Posted by XR-Ace [​IMG]
    nice mod .i think i gotta get one now too and disguise it as nos. :D

[quote="OldManTan";667075]Awesome, that is a great idea!![/quote]

Not to rain on any parades but...

I just want to throw the idea out that it's best not to disguise a fire extinguisher. Just imagine getting into a wreck and being unconscience, then a helpful motorist/off duty emergency response person comes by and tries to help put out a fire but can only see the NOS bottle.

I don't mean to sound like Mr. Dad, but my ex-wife got into a bad car accident and was unable to communicate with the response team. I have since now always stocked the following in my truck.

Fire Extinguisher
    Trauma first reponser first aid kit
    Flares

Also I keep a few bottles of water and emergency food, a blanket and extra change of clothes.

This is all in a bright red duffle bag marked with a first aid symbol.

I also carry on a keychain, a combo glass breaker and seat belt cutter. This is always attached to my belt loop because what good is a seatbelt cutter in the back storage compartment?

I'd like to hear the professional opinions because I got my set up from speaking with the firefighters who saved her life.

Just sharing my thoughts...

Rob

3. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I'd also like to say to anyone that goes offroad that they should too carry a fire extinguisher at all times. If you're parked in some dry grass and start it on fire, you'll surely want to be able to put it out. Not only that, I think that in most if not all places, a fire extinguisher is required for class 2 vehicles(trucks, jeeps, SxS's, etc.) being driven off road as well.

4. Jun 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.
    hate to be asking stupid questions, but does it really matter what brad of extinguisher you buy??? thanks yall, been wanting to do this but i dont know much about it.

5. Jun 8, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    No, but as stated, be sure about the purpose. There are special automotive ones that don't leave a residue that could be damaging to the vehicle after the fire.

Rob

6. Jun 8, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    Go to nearest home depot, look for extinguishers, get BC type in the size that you like and you'll be set.

Exactly get a BC type for chemical and electrical fires avoid A type if posible

7. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    br217398

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.

sweet thanks......

8. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    br217398

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    thanks for the help

Brandon

9. Jun 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    If you are specifically looking to put your vehicle out, then yes a BC. But I camp and hunt and have bonfires in remote areas at home, so I chose an ABC. I want the ability to put out regular combustibles. I want to save my truck but as Smokey the Bear says, "only I can prevent forest fires".

10. Jun 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Your truck costs 15, 20, 30 grand. The DEC Police are going to nail you for a hell of a lot more if they found out it was you who lit the hundreds of acres on fire. I guess what I am saying is, think about everything you do then consider what extinguisher to get. But ultimately, any one is better than none.

11. Jun 10, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    Mandy3206

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    [quote="OldManTan";671168]If you are specifically looking to put your vehicle out, then yes a BC. But I camp and hunt and have bonfires in remote areas at home, so I chose an ABC. I want the ability to put out regular combustibles. I want to save my truck but as Smokey the Bear says, "only I can prevent forest fires".[/quote]

[quote="OldManTan";671182]Your truck costs 15, 20, 30 grand. The DEC Police are going to nail you for a hell of a lot more if they found out it was you who lit the hundreds of acres on fire. I guess what I am saying is, think about everything you do then consider what extinguisher to get. But ultimately, any one is better than none.[/quote]

Completely agree with you, that's why I got a ABC type with my camping gear and a BC type for the vehicle, extinguishers are so cheap that I got six in total scattered around the house and vehicles, I think of them as cheap insurance.:cool::cool:

12. Jun 10, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I want the Halon system my humvee had in Iraq!

13. Jun 10, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    Negative1

Negative1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just an FYI, those little fire extinguishers are ok, but only last a very very short time.
    If you've ever used one, you know what I mean.
    IE; 5 seconds of spray, for the small ones.

Keep this in mind....
    Bigger the bottle, the better.

14. Jun 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Very nice!!! Yeah I love those rubber mounts!!! We have a bunch of those at the fire house and use them on a couple of our engines to hold the nozzles down. Keeps them very secure and quick to get off with one pull on the rubber strap!!!! I also have a portable extinguisher on my truck but its in one of the side storage bins in the bed.;)

15. Jun 10, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Hmm, I wonder if there would be a good place to mount under the bed somewhere where it won't get hit by the road.. have to go look cause I don't really have that much room in an AC. I've thought about it several times but forget about it a little while later. Good mod!

16. Jun 10, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    Mandy3206

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:

I would suggest a dry, clean, accesible location, under the truck is the place where it'll get dirty, wet and very unaccesible, and probably won't work when needed if by any chance it's still there.
    The dial gage should be checked periodically to see if it's pressurized or not.
    Did you ever saw a rusty old extinguisher in use in a public place, no, all look brand new everywhere with lots of signs alerting everyone of their location.
    Extinguishers are one of those things that you wish never to use, but if ever needed it has to work and be readily accesible to anyone nearby.

If I had a AC, I would mount it between the rear window and rear door window

17. Jun 10, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    [​IMG]

I have 2.5 lb. Halon Extinguishers in both of my cars and -2- in my racecar. They are $$$, but that's a small price to pay for a car/house/forest ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

18. Jun 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    here's mine. right near the tailgate for easy access, and i have a bedcover, so it stays nice and dry. :)

DSCF4153.jpg
    DSCF4154.jpg

19. Jun 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC

A five second spray used in a correct manner is enough to slow or prevent a spreading fire. And as I said before, it is better than nothing. I wish I could drive a firetruck around, but can't. So having something to try and help prevent a disaster is a honorable attempt.

20. Jun 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    That is a great mount point. You have to remember that if it is your truck that lights on fire, most likely it will be in the engine compartment and/or cab. So you are able to get to it, and have a chance to prevent a larger fire, great spot. Since I took my pics the other night I even put a sticker on my cap strut. Seconds count and the more people that know where it is located the better.

Products Discussed in

To Top