1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best mod for under 10 clams

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Motorshooter, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Nov 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    Motorshooter

Motorshooter [OP] Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab, short bed, 4X4 SR5, Towing pkg. Inferno Orange -What a great color!
    Weather Tech stone guards, Undercover SE bed cover, fresh coat of wax. I really miss my Indigo Ink Pearl 07' DC -RIP-she saved my life. Thank you blue beast!
    For $7.70 I picked up the Brinks spare tire cable lock set. The kit included,(1) 2 inch weather proofed Brinks keyed lock with (1) 4' 1/4 steel cable with weather coating.

I purchased it at Wally Mart and installed it last weekend:D
    The cool part is I ran the cable over the tire and through the frame and blocked access to the lowering controls for the spare.:locked:

Cable lock set: $7.70
    Time to instal: 5 minutes total
    Piece of mind that my spare tire is safe:.....PRICELESS:D

2. Nov 21, 2008 at 10:27 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    I'll have to check into one. I had a tire stolen off my other truck, for that price its worth it.

3. Nov 21, 2008 at 10:31 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Founder Socaltacomas.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Got any pics? i just installed the toyota spare lock very easy to install but not that cheap like your lock.

4. Nov 21, 2008 at 10:33 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    How strong is this cable? I snipped a cable lock with my set of small bolt cutters like it was nothing a few years ago. One of the reasons I don't bother with them. Also, how is the lock protected? Last thing you wanna do is lock your spare tire like that, have winter snow/ice/salt/sand seize the lock and you can't get the tire down when you need it.

5. Nov 21, 2008 at 10:37 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I bought one of these after my spare was stolen. There's a keyed collar that goes over the lowering mechanism and one that fits around the end of the cable to prevent it from being cut from underneath ($38):
    http://www.brandsport.com/toy-pt276-35060.html
    [​IMG]

6. Nov 21, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    Motorshooter

Motorshooter [OP] Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab, short bed, 4X4 SR5, Towing pkg. Inferno Orange -What a great color!
    Weather Tech stone guards, Undercover SE bed cover, fresh coat of wax. I really miss my Indigo Ink Pearl 07' DC -RIP-she saved my life. Thank you blue beast!
    The lock is weather proof...and I packed it with white lithuim grease once I had it in place. The cable can not be snipped with a pair of dykes:D

7. Nov 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    That's good to know! I had a Pop-N-Lock for the tailgate that got so packed with salt and sand after 1 winter I couldn't even get the key in. :mad: Luckily I left it unlocked all winter or I would have had one hell of a time getting the tailgate open. Would hate to run into the same situation on some dark road with a flat, and the spare locked in place.

8. Nov 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    i did the cable and weather proof lock too. definitely some peace of mind

[​IMG]

9. Nov 21, 2008 at 8:43 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Founder Socaltacomas.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Cool but like pierced tiger said how easy would it be to cut the cable?

10. Nov 21, 2008 at 10:26 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    true...honestly i guess it would take at least 2 takes with bolt cutters. the one i used was a masterlock brand weather cable and a weatherproof THE CLUB padlock. I did see masterlock had a bolt cutter proof cable that was about an inch in diameter.

Like many have said before if a theft wants it, they will get it. but with it being visible i would hope it would be a deterent and would move on to the next truck.

11. Nov 21, 2008 at 10:37 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Exactly. Why make it easy? Do everything you can to secure your property.

"Private Pyle, if there's one thing in this world that I hate, it is an unlocked foot locker!! You know that don't you?!"

"“If it weren’t for dickheads like you, there wouldn’t be any thievery in this world, would there Private Pyle?”"

12. Dec 1, 2008 at 7:34 PM
    patrickockander

patrickockander Say What?

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    TACOMA TRD Offroad version 4x4
    Supercharged, Hood Lift-struts, Borlas, 2-tone Leather, Husky Liners, 16" Completely rewired audio system, Components front/rear, Dbl Limo Tint, 2-din JVC KWNX7000BT (DVD+GPS), TRD CAI, disabled seatbelt alarm, E3 Plugs, Halo Headlights, Tuck-in style Rain guards, dealer sticker removed, Step rail,
    that's awesome, but get it from these guys for even less!! I've had pretty good success so far...

https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html
    Genuine Toyota® Brand
    Item# PT276-35060

$29.20

13. Jan 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
  14. Jan 9, 2009 at 3:11 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
To Top