1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best mods to increase Mileage?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Steven, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Steven

Steven [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    '09 SR5 TRD Sport
    Leveling Kit
    I'm driving a '09 SR5 TRD Sport, the mileage is pretty nasty for what I was expecting. I'm wondering what the best things are that I can do to increase mileage. The first things that would make sense would be a high flow intake and exhaust right? And what about chipping it? What's the best programmer I could put in? Thanks!

I'd post a pic, not sure how..

2. Feb 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Tear out your interior... Strip bed down, remove doors, get tiny tires... No serious no mod other than lightening the truck and watching how you drive is going to make it more efficient.

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    Papa Tac

Papa Tac Adjunct Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Tac
    Codroy Valley, Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Ned Ludd Edition
    Pupped my ride - Dog bench, Black stock rims, Tail Gate antitheft mod, Bed storage and sleeping platform, Action Cap w/Yakima rack and Rola basket, Seatbelt chime off, Tentasaurus
    Park it

j/k
    oh and btw
    Welcome to TW from Newfoundland

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    rdd11

rdd11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Red Deer, AB
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Double Cab long box black
    K&N cold air, Exhaust
    Welcome from red deer ye drive good is the best cold air and exhaust help a bit that's about it

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Buy a car

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Zimaura

Zimaura Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nj
    San jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Double Cab. level Kit, 33 inch BFGs
    Level Kit, 16inch Moto Metals, 33 BFGs, Flowmaster, tinted taillights, silver billet grills
    try pushing the Truck when not on freeways..
    gluck
    :)

7. Feb 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  8. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
  9. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Though the improvements would be negligible (if even noticeable), anytime you can improve your power to weight ratio or make efficiency improvements in intake and exhaust, you should be able to improve MPG's.

I think the answers you're looking for are things like cold air intake, exhaust etc....these items will provide barely, if any, improvements. If you do decide to go that route though, this forum is filled with insights that you'll find helpful.

Magnaflow, Dynomax, MBRP, Banks, Aero Turbine are all popular systems/mufflers that the users here like. I personally like the Dynomax Ultraflo system or Banks. These will improve aesthetics and sound.

For intake options, the stock is a CAI already. Most people will tell you a drop in AFE filter in the stock location would be your best bet. I personally like the URD set up. Hope that helps you a little.

10. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    Steven

Steven [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    '09 SR5 TRD Sport
    Leveling Kit
    Okay thanks for the input. So I guess if I were to justify $600 for an exhaust system it would just be for the sound and added power then. Is there any real benefit to putting a programmer or a chip in mine?

11. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Lay off the throttle.

12. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    The EPA tested several devices that claimed to increase gas mileage and found that none really did to any significant degree. Since gas mileage is a huge marketing point nowadays auto manufacturers do all they can already to increase it while still keeping the capabilities and power that owners demand.

Like previous posters have said, in order to get better mileage out of your truck, assuming it's is in tune and there are no other problems, is to either lighten the load, decrease aerodynamic drag, or modify your driving habits.

I drove 200 miles once on a flat state road at 55 mph and got 25 mpg with my fully-loaded Tacoma (I was moving) with the AC on. I would have liked to have driven that speed on the Interstate but the 80 mph traffic would have run me over had I done so.

Edit:

"They don't work," says John Millett, spokesperson for the EPA. "Believe me, if it were that easy, cars would be built that way, especially the magnets and whirligig devices. It's smart to be skeptical about claims like that."

Read more: Gas-saving devices mostly a scam http://www.bankrate.com/finance/money-guides/gas-saving-devices-mostly-a-scam-1.aspx#ixzz1niW9TpSm

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/reports.htm

JSU likes this.
  13. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    Add the most amount of air you are comfortable adding to your tires. Keep weather and road conditions in mind.

14. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Keep it under 2k rpms and under 65mph

JSU likes this.
  15. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Chris4x4 might have more insights for you on Tacoma specific exhausts, but I believe he found only the Dynomax Turbo muffler to produce an HP increase...8HP I think on the dyno but don't quote me. So almost any system you would buy would be for sound and aesthetics.

Needless to say....stay away from turbine products for your intake, TB spacers, and other snake oil type products.

Might wanna search ultra gauge/scan gauge. They can help to inform you about consumption based on throttle position/load/etc which may teach you how to drive your Tacoma more efficiently.

JSU likes this.
  16. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    ^This

17. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    hotrod45

hotrod45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    sarasota fl
    Vehicle:
    16 sr 5 access cab
    put your right foot on a diet. seriously, i have an ultra gage in mine. i installed an are filter, flowmaster american thunder pipes. keeping the same driving technique etc, i gained 3/10 of a mile average. just have to watch the foot.

18. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I was driving to the dump yesterday towing a trailer that has older tires so I like to keep it under 55 mph -- the rpms at 55 were about not much over 1500, which is probably why I got such good mileage that time. Generally, the truck gets about 19 mpg at 75 mph on the Interstate, driving in town, or in the mountains (back when I lived in a state that had mountains).

I forgot to mention rolling resistance too. I generally keep my tires at 32 pounds all around when not loaded or driving in sand (I have a little pump I keep behind the seat to air back up -- less than twenty bucks and highly recommended) and my tires have worn pretty evenly.

19. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    Captarm

Captarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Armand
    Maine and Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Silver/Black, Tinted windows
    Leather Arm Rest Firestone Ride-rite K&N oil air Filter Wet Okole Black/Gray w heated seats Alpine CDE-123 receiver w Blue tooth,MP3,USB port AP Rock-sliders Viper Auto starter, should have gotten with alarm Anytime Fogs NOKYA7626 yellow lights Muth Heated, Signal Mirror Leer Cap Silver stream line top Differential Breather Mod
    I'm out of full time work now so it's parked and I'm getting great MPG now. Was getting around 17.5 winter blend.

20. Feb 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Keep your truck stock, watch you driving habits and loose weight. Always drive below 60mph and never put any weight on your truck, so always drive by yourself. LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top