1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best option for spraying applying fluid film?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dfertig84, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Aug 21, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    dtaco10

dtaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Anoka County, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma 4x4, 4.0, Auto
    As of today, I have no experience with Woolwax but I did order some aerosol cans today. My experience is with Fluid Film and Eastwoods Amber rust preventive. In my opinion, Fluid Flim is ok for internal cavities, doors, inner rocker area, and the internal frame cavity, as it doesn't seem to take to road abuse well and washes off easier than Eastwoods. Eastwood Amber rust preventive seems to be more durable once it sets. It doesn't dry hard and stays pliable which is what you want and seems more durable for external surfaces but, it can be used for internal cavities. I think multiple coats are best and I look over the underside of my truck annually and touch up any areas that look suspicious to rust. They both go on real running so they migrate in to seems well.
    My guess is Woolwax is similar to Eastwoods Amber Preventive. Going to give Woolwax a try.

2. Aug 21, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    Marc70

Marc70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc70
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4.0L, 6MT
    2” lift, ARB front bumper, steel rear bumper, Trail Gear weld-on sliders, aFe cai, 2lo kit, air bag suspension, RA Motorsports AL skid plates
    What about por 15? Like on the frame, then woolwax the rest? That a good idea?

3. Aug 21, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    igno1tus

igno1tus Small member

Member:
    Lehigh Valley Area , PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Thanks didn’t know that

I didn’t want to buy a compressor , spray gun, etc etc I think it was just easier to pay more for the cans . It’s great stuff and has held up really well . I’ve checked Over the entire underside of the truck and it still has coverage , the fluid film has gotten a layer of fine dirt over it. Some places are still pristine like the day I did it and other areas have a dirt film covering the fluid film but it’s still covered and the fluid film Has a consistency of soft butter spread (the only description I can compare it to) this is a year after coverage and I probably will just touch up a few spots that are thin like the high spray areas .

I WAS going to strip it off and apply the wool wax but I might hold off since this is holding up so well .

Marc70 likes this.
  4. Aug 22, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    69L46Vert

69L46Vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2007 Regular Cab 4x4
    I bought the wool wax pro gun a few years back. Works great. Have done about a dozen trucks and cars with it. Highly recommended. If you can, then take off inner door panels and tailgate panel to get inside really well. Surprising amount of debris gets in the doors and the lower rear of the front fenders. Good to clean it out and dry it well prior to application. It can wash off where there’s a lot of splash but easy to touch up every year. Stays well coated inside the frame year to year and doesn’t need to be completely redone, just a quick going over if done well during the initial coating.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Marc70 likes this.
  5. Sep 1, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Would you recommend using a rust converter or reformer for surface dust then go over it with Woolwax? My 20 has some surface rust already I need to do something about It and am going to treat the frame with Woolwax.

6. Sep 1, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    Demfer

Demfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road
    its sooooo messy. Went the can route last fall and laid cardboard all over my garage. I'll spend the money to go to a NH coating location...

7. Sep 1, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    I think that’s why people switch to the wool wax, no overspray.

usmc2msu likes this.
  8. Sep 1, 2020 at 1:47 PM
    bob1008

bob1008 Active Member

Member:
    The answer to that is like trying to get a firm answer from a lawyer.
    Our lab has always taken the position that for the lanolin to embed itself in the pores of the metal, it should be untreated. But they also say that an extra protective barrier to prevent any oxygen or moisture from reaching the metal surface is certainly helpful. So if the rust is just light surface rust most people just apply Woolwax® right over it. Any heavy bubbling rust needs to be brushed off. My own personal opinion, and that of some experienced Undercoaters, is that if the rust is easily accessible, take the extra time to either really brush it clean, or treat it with a converter or something similar. And then apply the undercoating on top of that. It seems to make sense (to me anyway) to treat the existing rust, if it's easy to get to, and then apply the Woolwax® to prevent additional rust from occurring.

9. Sep 1, 2020 at 2:03 PM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    That makes sense and I was planning on doing something with the surface rust. I just was not sure how Woolwax would work if applied over a rust reformer or converter. I would think it would be kinda like using it over paint. The rust isn’t bad, just surface stuff, nothing flaking or deep. Thanks for the input. I’ll be treating the frame sometime this month. MD likes it’s brine and salt...

Products Discussed in

To Top