1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best remote start?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Heath101, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Sep 25, 2020 at 1:06 AM
    Takemehome678

Takemehome678 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robin
    Carter Lake, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tacoma SR
    iBoards, Rims, seat covers, bed liner, decals, bug guard, tonneau cover, window deflectors
    What if you don't have a push start? Is there a recommendation for a good remote start setup?

Take it easy on me lol it's my first Tacoma and I couldn't get all the amenities I wanted on it due to limited funds.

2. Sep 25, 2020 at 2:59 AM
    ecorey157

ecorey157 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma SR5 DCLB 4WD
    N2 remote start, bed mat, bed lights, Gator Tri-fold Tonneau cover
    N2 Designs makes a remote start for your SR.

Kit that comes with FOBs:
    https://www.n2designsinc.com/produc...tacoma-plug-play-remote-start-kit-regular-key

or one with a smartphone module which allows you to remote start from an app:
    https://www.n2designsinc.com/produc...lug-play-remote-start-kit-reg-key-app-version

3. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:43 AM
    NukedTaco

NukedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    I went with a @N2DesignsInc unit but if I had to do it again I would go with accessorides. The N2 unit has a bunch of unused connectors and wiring that adds unnecessary bulk to the wiring bundle and it is more expensive.

4. Sep 25, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    N2DesignsInc

N2DesignsInc --------------------------- N2 Designs, Inc. Vendor

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 that identifies itself as a 2021
    Mods: Is this still a Tacoma?
    Had a customer who had an accessorides unit in his hand ready to go back to them while ordering mine yesterday because it started to mess up his vehicles door locks and lights...I guess that's what you get when you buy "made in Taiwan" and a $22 dealer cost (directed DB3) module...we pay way more cost for our devices, hence why it costs more on the consumer end, but by more, we're only talking $10 on the 2016-2019 which honestly isn't that much more...we go with quality first for our customers. Our stuff is bullet proof so much so we have a ZERO percent field failure once successfully commissioned and installed. We're working on something that will make you all happy real soon also...

1Crusader and taco.matt like this.
  5. Sep 25, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    b3itz

b3itz Camp Life

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    2016 MT OR DCSB
    Tuned, geared, armored, BP51s...
    Any good 2-way systems out there? There are times i keep the dogs in the running vehicle and have to, for peace of mind, make sure the truck is running by physically checking. I'd love to have something that read out the status of the vehicle.

6. Sep 25, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    ecorey157

ecorey157 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma SR5 DCLB 4WD
    N2 remote start, bed mat, bed lights, Gator Tri-fold Tonneau cover
    I just started my truck with my Apple Watch. N2 Designs remote start with smartphone module and CL6 app. 952B12FC-E69A-4181-9470-BF670121D6E9.jpg

7. Sep 25, 2020 at 9:02 AM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Actually, if you've ever looked at the quality of harnesses side by side, you would know right away. Plus, this harness of ours does over 150 Toyota/Lexus vehicles...we choose to keep the one extra BCM connector on there instead of snipping it so in the slim chance you end up with another different vehicle, you may be able to use the whole kit you have, and would only require a firmware flash on your remote start module...which you get for free as a life time customer with us. We do a lot more on different fronts that make us different. Every once else will forget about you once you've purchased and will make you spend $$$ hundreds more to start ground up all over again because NO ONE will sell you just a harness...if your remote start module will port over to your new car and THERE IS a plug n play harness for that vehicle, then you get the flash for free still with the purchase of the new harness. We're into the business of customer satisfaction and we're priced competitively against competitors who aren't using cheap product. Your truck isn't a cheap investment so in all honesty, we wouldn't put anything we deem cheap or potentially harmful on it that we wouldn't put on ours. The choice is ultimately yours but I guarantee you that no one will honor your warranty past a year also (on a case by case basis). What you pay is not just for the kit, it's all these extras you get in the long run for peace of mind...the only thing is, if you don't know this, you're only going to look at cost and not value.

Takemehome678 and japjoe7 like this.
  8. Sep 25, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Remote Start with smart phone app based control module option for continuous read back. Or else our long range 2-way fob kit (1.5 mile range) will give you feedback confirmation briefly via led indicator and respective audible sound if successful or failed. Either can be added on but can't put both on the same system at the same time.

b3itz[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 25, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! Don't forget if anyone has Alex or Google home, you can command it to do anything your app can with your voice!

10. Sep 25, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    RX1cobra

RX1cobra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    Wait. I can tell google home to start my truck?

Takemehome678 likes this.
  11. Sep 25, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    If you have our remote start coupled with the smart module app control option...YES!!!

12. Sep 25, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    RX1cobra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    I do. My google search failed me. How do I do it?

13. Sep 25, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:

Click on that, then the blue "LINK" at the top right.

14. Sep 25, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    RX1cobra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 OR
    Awesome thank you. Gonna try this shortly.

15. Sep 25, 2020 at 6:17 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Company "A":
    - Uses Directed DB3 modules. Directed is a great company and makes great products but we're looking at this from the angle of what is used on 3rd gens across the board from different retailers. The DB3 is the lowest on the totem poll for one simple reason, if it gets the job done, the margins and profit are MUCH higher for a dealer. We don't care about that. Good quality stuff that we can stand behind and keep the perception we've worked so hard for is worth more. One disgruntled customer out shadows all the positive/happy folks. We won't risk that for profit. EVER.
    - No on board relay or interrupt to interrupt the DCM snip or TPMS, an external relay must be added.
    - That relay adds bulk, and larger foot print, requires crimping and/or soldering (more points of failure) and just out right looks hokey. Why?!?!?
    - Average consumer does not know how to troubleshoot a bad relay via DMM or VM.
    - Manufactured in Taiwan - You be the judge.
    - Wholesale cost is 1/3rd to 1/4 of a premium brand. Again, higher margins.
    Two days ago a customer called to order while packaging up his Company "A's" kit because it cause his lights and door-locks to go haywire. Coincidentally the next day, the same scenario but this time a 12VS customer doing the same. Both companies use this module. We don't. To their credit, this is likely far and few in between but if you were that lucky person to experience this, you would be frustrated now having to deal with solving the issues caused and returning an RMA. You really can't run to a dealer, and especially if your vehicle is out of warranty.
    ===========================================
    Our product is designed in silicon valley, California...where Apple, Tesla and so on and so on are...
    Manufactured in Canada
    All inclusive, full featured, self protecting and will not harm (and has yet) harm your vehicle. This is not to say human error is factored in. Some folks are destructively creative and Darwinism didn't pan out well...
    Not one has come back (ZERO field failure rate) once installed and working.
    Wholesale cost is 3 to 4 times of an "economical" brand, yet pricing still on par competitively.
    Smaller foot print
    Easy to program
    Forgiving when mistakes or human error is made
    Universal harness that can be potentially used on over 130+ Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
    No complaints - Check our google reviews. Check company "A's". Sold thousands upons thousands. How many refunds? 8. YES. Single digit. 8. Hard to believe I know, I am sitting here calling myself a liar in my own head cause that's not possible but if I say anything more or less, I WOULD be lying. Now why returned or refunded? Customer's change of heart, financial situations, sold car, crashed car and so on. NONE are because it was defective. This does not included exchanges as they don't count because the customer ultimately has our product on thier vehicle and in most cases they were very creative in finding how to really destroy something (you have to really try hard to achieve this).

All this sounds like I'm putting ourselves up on a pedestal and not like our humble character. With that said, I give praise where praise is due, even to competitors and take criticism very serious where I only need to hear once customer's grievance before I make a change or address something. But it has been asked many times. I say do your homework and research and look for value as insurance for what COULD happen as oppsed to saving a few bucks only to have to spend big bucks to do it again from ground up. We don't want you to do that either.

And finally, from a visual stand point...cost aside (in most cases the same), which is aesthetically pleasing and looks less complicated? I don't know about you but something about an automotive relay double sided taped to my remote start module just doesn't look factory, or eye-pleasing...but for some, that may not matter, and we're totally ok with that. to each his own. Our value extends beyond the sale in the form of support and taking care of people outside of corporate protocols...

upload_2020-9-25_18-17-5.jpgupload_2020-9-25_18-17-25.jpg

b3itz likes this.
  16. Sep 25, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    Jason.912

Jason.912 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    this makes me think I should wait a tad longer before I order in one of your 2020 kits....

thebaker likes this.
  17. Sep 25, 2020 at 11:07 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Why? What if we were just busy baking cookies to put into each package, with love? HA!:rofl:

18. Sep 25, 2020 at 11:19 PM
    Jason.912

Jason.912 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Now I’m expecting a cookie when I place my order, I mean how can you beat that deal.. :spending:

19. Sep 26, 2020 at 3:45 AM
    Bcjammerx

Bcjammerx I'm not ALWAYS an a-hole, I swear

Member:
    North East Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TRD Off-road 4X4
    I bought a viper full security system, wanted remote start and security...well it's actually avital but it's actually viper rebranded so a little cheaper. I always google "best xxx" and look at 3-4 sites and see what brands are frequently listed at the top. But you have to be careful how the sites define "best" so I have to skip quite a few.

20. Sep 26, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    No need to google, we're right here! :D

Bcjammerx[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top