1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Sub for my Application? IDQ10, JL 10W3 or 13TW5

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Vandy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jul 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    Vandy

Vandy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC-LB, 4x4 SR5, Indigo Ink
    Redline Hood Struts, Blacked out Badges, Blacked out SR5 Wheels, BFG All-Terrains, aFe Pro Dry Air Filter, Wicked Flow Muffler
    I am having a hard time deciding on which sub to get for my 08 doublecab. I have had JLs in the past and really liked them. I've read great reviews about the IDQ10V3 and JL 13TW5. Unfortunately, none of the shops near me have them to listen to.

I would say 85% of my listening is country and rock. The rest would be rap. I don't want the sub to overpower my highs, or be too boomy when listening to country and rock. At the same time, I really like the deep lows and bass in rap.

With that said, which sub of those 3 would you recommend? My plan is to power the sub from a Kenwood XR-5S (350 Watts RMS). I appreciate your input.

2. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    anything man with that lil power.

3. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    both of those JL woofers are kick-ass! sounds to me like a single 10 w 3 would be the best to suit your listening habits and budget, though. pm me if you want a deal on a new one.

4. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    13TW5 FTMFW!

you might wanna run some more power to it, closer to 500w.

but yeah the TW5 sounds super good, it is pricey, but hits those low notes much better than a 10" sub can, and it isn't muddy at all. it's a JL after all. haha.

5. Jul 15, 2011 at 4:23 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    If it matters, I don't think the W3 is in the same sound quality class as the IDQ or the TW5.

The volume of bass produced is a matter of cone area multiplied by the distance the cone moves (sd times Xmax). The bigger resultant number means louder potential. That said, get an amp with a remote gain knob, tune whichever sub to blend musically with the rest of your speakers, then crank it up for rap as necessary.

I think the IDQ is almost 6" deep IIRC. And then they need a space of about an inch behind the magnet, meaning a box almost 7" deep inside (that's what 8.5" deep on the exterior?). That alone might make your decision easy since I've seen Mr Marv boxes with the TW5 in a DC.

6. Jul 15, 2011 at 5:56 AM
    DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC 4X4
    I would go with a 10W3. However I think you should have a look at the RE Audio line of subs. Just google 'em they would suit your application pretty well. Can't go wrong with I-D, JL, RE or any of the better brands. Just depends on what sounds best to you.

7. Jul 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Vandy

Vandy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC-LB, 4x4 SR5, Indigo Ink
    Redline Hood Struts, Blacked out Badges, Blacked out SR5 Wheels, BFG All-Terrains, aFe Pro Dry Air Filter, Wicked Flow Muffler
    Thanks for the input guys. I know Image Dynamics has shut down, which is why I am trying to make my decision soon in case I need to hurry up and by the IDQ while some stores still have them in stock.

Deuce Rooster - which model of RE would you recommend? Thanks again.

8. Jul 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC 4X4
    SRX 10" Would be my pick with that amp and the type of music you listen to. It has a 6" mounting depth though so it's a little larger than a W3. But a top notch sub for the money!

Once again JL makes an excellent sub as well. Can't go wrong with either. I sometimes just like to stray from the mainstream a bit and use something "different" :D

9. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Not really the volume but you're almost on the right track here. What you're referring to is the DISPLACEMENT of a subwoofer which is it's ability to move a certain amount of air. While it's related to the volume potential of a speaker it's certainly not everything. Power handling and efficiency are the other key factors at play.

10. Jul 19, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Following this post, I want to point out something in another post above...

The difference in volume between 350w and 500w will not be discernible to a human. We are talking less than 1.5db, and the accepted point a human can tell an increase in volume is about 3db.

Basically, look at efficiency, displacement, and the enclosure. As long as you have sufficient power, dont worry too much.

Besides, JL lists the "optimum" power for this sub at 250w. The power rating listed is a thermal power handling, not a RMS number for the sub.

11. Jul 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back

that amp is more than enough power for any of those sube, i have sold the xr5s to customers with pairs of 10w3s and it does ok on even the pair. the best sounding sub to fit behind the back seat in your truck is the tw5 they sound amazing i have sold a lot of them in the last couple years and everyone has been very pleaseed with them thye will give you the low notes your going to want in rap and still produce a very clean tight acurate sound on country and rock, i run 10 w3 in my car and my wifes but you will run into fit issues with that deeep of a sub behind the back seat it will kinda fit but rattle against the seat back and thats no good. i am working on a box for my dc to install a pair of the 13tw5s

12. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    I run an XR-5S to an IDQ10 and couldn't be happier. Mr. Marv built the enclosure to make that bad boy fit. I've thought about another IDQ and more power but if I switch it up I'm really interested in the Stereo Integrity BM MKIII.

Products Discussed in

To Top