1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best tire for the money? Advise

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Killer Red Taco, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    MacTaco

MacTaco Mustache May

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Indigo, Lifted, Flowmaster
    Skyjacker 3" Lift, 285/75/R16 Toyo M/T tires/ Eagle Alloy Wheels, Flowmaster 50 Series, Pioneer Din Head Unit, Viper Alarm/Remote Start System, Debadged, DT Headers, True Flow Intake
    IMO the Toyo Open Country M/T is the best Mud Tire made for our trucks. It's a radial, and it had side lugs that are designed to reduce noise. Mine are much much quieter than any other mud tire I see around here in the south.

2. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    MacTaco

MacTaco Mustache May

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Skyjacker 3" Lift, 285/75/R16 Toyo M/T tires/ Eagle Alloy Wheels, Flowmaster 50 Series, Pioneer Din Head Unit, Viper Alarm/Remote Start System, Debadged, DT Headers, True Flow Intake
    Don't buy cooper, and if you have cooper, buy something besides cooper. My dad is an expert in failure investigation, and he knows all kinds of things about tires. Cooper is a company that is getting pretty popular in tread separation among other things. I don't know how the mud tires are compared to their street tires, but I myself just wouldn't rely on them.

3. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I got a set of Yokohama Geolandar 265/75-R16's AT/S 10k miles back and they have have not hardly worn yet. less then 1MM of wear in the front and 2 in the rear. The tire has a 10 ply rating and will go over pretty much anything without getting a hole in them. I used to drive over downed trees (allot of mesquite) on a regular basis and never had a problem. Great off road performance. All in all i have been really happy other than the stout ride they give off.

EDIT: I should have read a little harder, I didn't realize you were looking for a MT tire. I wouldn't put one of my current truck being its a 2wd, but i have always had good luck with the BFG km2's. Other then the fact they are very expensive and usually take excessive weight to balance.

4. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    Most of the peeps in my offroad club have the Cooper STT and pound on them never had a problem. South Africa one of the most popular offroad tire over there is the Cooper STT.

I don't think you can compare a street tire to a offroad tire. As they are completely different.

5. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    MacTaco

MacTaco Mustache May

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    In a way that's true, but for me, if a company makes an unreliable tire, and doesn't fix it, then what is to make me trust another one of their tires.

I would just rather put my life in the hands of another company that I can trust completely.

6. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I ran the Cooper Discoverer ST and ran them for 40K before putting on my current BFG KMs. They ran well, were a little noisy but after they were 1/2 wore out i had them siped due to poor wet road traction. All in all they seemed like a tough well made tire and lasted quite well. It seems like cooper gets mixed reviews as i know quite a few with STs and STTs and they have had good experiences with them.
    On the other hand i have a friend at college that said he had some 33/12.50/15's and they chunked like mad on rocks and one of them tore completely to bits within a year of owning them and they wouldn't do a thing for him. He now has Toyo MTs and loves them.

7. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    MacTaco

MacTaco Mustache May

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yea. Maybe they make a good tire here and there, but that's a prime example of a poor structural design for a tire.

8. Jan 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    swsteven

swsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    houston tx
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma trd
    3 inch lift bilsteins and aal 16 inch pro comp wheels, m/t tires
    [​IMG]
    well i got dakota definity M/T 265/75/16 for about 138 a piece at pepboys,and i think its even cheaper if you buy 4 tires and get them mount and bal there the give u a 100 dollar rebate, these tires have thick tread ,havent had any prob in the rain ,saw great reviews on them , and road noise isnt too load eather ,very light

9. Jan 16, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco [OP] NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    I have narrowed it down to either:

BFG mud km for 855 shipped form tirerack

or

Goodyear mt/r for 836 shipped from tirerack (after $50 rebate) This a great price considering my local guy quoted 209 a tire and 965 out the door!

I can't decide this a shitload of money for me right now, just want make the best choice.

10. Jan 16, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    muliefever

muliefever Muliefever

Member:
    Tillamook, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    14' DCSB TRD
    5100's, 887', CB, 265's, FM Deltaflow

Toyo=Cooper, same company

Products Discussed in

To Top