1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best tires I've ever had ..

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Fightnfire, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire [OP] Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    How come everyone's current tire is their favorite? Is it pride of ownership? Or are they actually the best you have ever had ...

For me:

The best MT I ever ran was the Les Schwab brand Wild Country MT. They had to tread patterns, the older non lightning tread looking one was the best. Amazing how sticky those tires were in deep snow/ice. Downside, they struggled to get 25k.

For AT I would say it's a close call ... either the Toyo Open Country AT or the Falken High Country I run now. The Toyo's are better on the road, the Falkens are better in the snow.

Next: Considering the Cooper ST Maxx, Duratracs or Hankook Dynapro ATM

When you really think about it, off road, on road, cost etc. What are the best tires you have run, both MT and AT.

Mentions:

MT:
    Yokohama Super Diggers
    Bighorns
    BFG KM 1's
    Cooper Discoverer ST

AT:
    Cooper AT3
    Falken High Country
    Yokohama Geolander
    Michelin LTX (best on road and wet AT, no mud)
    Hankook Dynapro ATM

2. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I LOVED the old Yokohama Super Diggers. It was the only thing I ran on my first Taco. $99 a tire at Costco.

....the good old days.....

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I see the logic but in reality who can afford to swap tires that often? Plus doesn't it also take quite a few miles to determine the best? Everyone I know has had tires on their truck that weren't quite as good as the last set. Altho this usually happens when reflecting back, no one likes to admit their current tire isn't as good as the last one :p

4. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    I reallllly like my bighorns :cool: they are monsters in the deep mud and snow

5. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    I keep seeing more opinions that make me want to get the falkens for my next set. Plus the 285/75s are only 150 each.

6. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've had great luck with Cooper tires. I went from the ATR to the AT3. So far, the AT3 seems to be a better all around tire, quieter, wears well and does excellent in dirt and mud but I think the ATR has them beat in snow (although I haven't really been able to get into much snow this year with the AT3s).

7. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    My BFG KM 1's

8. Jan 18, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Pugga, I'd love to hear back when you get them in some snow. Just at first glance I didn't think they were aggressive enough for me when compared to the St Maxx or a Duratrac etc. But, I keep hearing that they are performing really well. I read a couple of reviews from magazines that have them being better than the BFG AT KO off road.

9. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'd love to get some snow and be able to tell you about them! We got a couple inches in October and a dusting the other night but right now my lawn is bare (actually muddy). :(

There are quite a few members running these tires, hopefully some of the live where there is actually snow falling!

10. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Loved my Goodyear Wranglers MTR's on my XJ. This was when I lived in Iceland so totally different environment compared to Las Vegas.

11. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    In looking at the Bighorns MT they are identical to the Wild Country MT I mentioned, same pattern depth and layout. For some reason those things grabbed crazy in the snow.

12. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    My favorite ever were the ones i had on my Xterra for like 90,000 miles. they were cooper discoverer st. those were fucking gnarly tires. they took beatings and still kept going. they gave all the off road traction i needed and a pretty good on road ride. now later on in their life they liked to sing but not overwhelming by anymeans

13. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i hear great things about these, the commercial ambulance companies and local F.D. runs these. so i think that says something

14. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    I tend to agree. Also, by the time everyone gets new tires the current ones are typically much more worn. They put a new set on and are amazed at how well they do when compared to the AT they just replaced that had 40k miles on it.

The comparison should be over the life of the tire.

15. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    night and day difference between ATR's and BFG AT KO's, i had the ATR's in 265/70/16 for about 25k and they held their tread okay, the BFG's are 285/75/16, lost a little power, and i only have about 5k on these tires, but they destroy the ATR's in mud and dirt

16. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    i ran maxxis bighorns on my jeep rubicon. i loved them for about the first year. they were great in rock and snow, in fact, when i would go winter wheeling with my club, i would be one of a very few who could climb certain steep snowy/icy trails and it was pretty much solely due to the tires, because everyone had lockers. my bitch with them came after about 12-15K, they just didn't wear well, and by about 20K they were almost shot. i was really disappointed with that aspect of them. oh and i got them when they first came out, they were a bargain! then they got popular and became just as expensive as everyone else.

prior to that i ran mtr's (first gen) and i really loved those tires for off road use. their only achilles heel was they did not self clean in mud at all. great for rock and sand. decent in snow, but not as good at the bighorns. were an ok dd tire, but did hum quite a bit. i got way more mileage out of them than the bighorns. i don't know about the newer gen mtr.

at's i have ran a bunch. nitto terra grappler, mickey thompson atz, kumho road venture at, michelin ltx, bfg at, and now my latest set which are the hankook dynapro atm's on the taco.

i would give a nod to the mickey thompsons, just because you get about 30% more tread on a set of those tires vs. the others. they ride and perform just as good as any at tire i've ever had, especially in the wet and snow. i wasn't crazy about how they looked on the jeep (not very aggressive) but i would buy them again. i got the hankooks this time mainly because of their price and the reviews of people on this site who run them. i've only got 2000 miles on them so far so i can't really comment yet on their overall performance.

17. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    Floyd Rivers

Floyd Rivers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Asheville
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR
    Not aggresive, but I'm a big fan of the Michelin LTX MS2 tires. They have great siping and the tread depth is bueno. Good in the snow and the wet traction on pavement is really solid. Quiet too. Mud? Not.

18. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Not the ATR, the AT3. It replaced the ATR and is pretty different looking, several sites are giving the nod to the AT3.

I would agree tho that the ATR was a great road tire, no where near the solid off road AT.

19. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Agreed, the ATR was an A/T tire for someone like me who spends a lot of time on the highway, will do light trail riding and usually gets into a ton of snow. The ATR wore great for me, at 25k miles I still had over 1/2 of my tread depth left. My biggest gripe was they actually split on the sidewall so I had to get rid of them (Cooper was actually great and warrantied the tires).

The AT3 seems to be even better on road but much more confident off road. In the little bit of snow we've had, they seem to slip a little easier than the ATRs did but I'm waiting to see how they do in deeper snow.

20. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    labmannn

labmannn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg 4WD
    window tinting, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella fog lights, N-fab step bars, 3" Pro Comp lift
    I had Michelin tires on the truck when I bought it. They lasted a long time and had a nice smooth ride. I'm currently running Hankook Dynapro ATM rubber and I love them! The tread pattern is aggressive yet they don't roar driving down the highway. They do great in the rain but no snow here so not sure how they will do in snow. I didn't know a lot about the Hankook brand but when the Discount Tires guy had them on his Taco and raved about them, I was sold. And at $140/tire they were much cheaper than BF Goodrich.

Products Discussed in

To Top