1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Trailer Brand

Discussion in 'Towing' started by SeekingZero, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Jul 5, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    I drilled through the floor, Advantach* flooring, and used hardware I bought from Ace including large fender washers underneath to greater distribute the load. And yes I did get the tie downs and wheel chocks from HF. I did it on the cheap and so far it's working out great. I situated the tie downs so that the straps pull the front forks down into the floor taking less stress off the cheap wheel chocks. For wheel chocks I found the HF ones for around $20 each and the next cheapest type was twice that price. I usually stay away for cheap crap but so far these wheel chocks have worked well.

*Advantech flooring. Just another reason I bought the H&H.
    http://www.huberwood.com/advantech/products/advantech-flooring

2. Jul 7, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    SeekingZero

SeekingZero [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Sierra Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Xtracab 4x4 SR5 TRD Supercharged
    This morning I went and picked up the trailer and a gallon of latex white paint. I've got half the inside painted. E-tracks are ordered and on their way as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My truck does look tiny pulling it...its quite comical. I've got to get a new height-adjustable hitch to give the trailer a proper rake.

3. Aug 6, 2014 at 5:28 AM
    Voyager

Voyager Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    Ben – nice purchase. What 2 bikes are you hauling? Do you have any pictures with the bikes loaded in the trailer? I’m in the same boat as you. Looking for a trailer (6x12?) to haul 2 BMW R1200 GSs (& 4 mtn bikes) cross country. Concerned about fitting the 2 big adventure bikes in a 6x12. As my truck is similar to yours (- the SC),I don’t think I want to go any bigger.

Bob

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    SeekingZero

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Sierra Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    Hey Bob, thanks. I do have some pictures of it painted and all my stuff in there. I don't have any pictures with bikes in it yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am hauling my Duc 999 and my DR650 ADV bike. I just hauled two DR650's, loaded, from IL to CO 2 weeks back for a ride that I am finishing tomorrow. Here are the DR's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I have any pictures of the two DR's in there, but as long as they are staggered, the bags will clear. I can get pictures up after this weekend, when I return. The 1200GS might be a different story though. I would test fit before you buy, you may need to go wider...7x12, 7x14.

My truck pulls this trailer just fine and I get about 12mpg doing it, which sucks. I definitely do not want to pull anything bigger!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  5. Aug 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    Voyager

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    Ben,
    Wow. Great setup! I’m envious.
    Your recent CO trip sounds nice. Did you post a RR on ADVrider?
    I’m riding CO/UT/CA/NV next fall with my brother on the 1200GS'. Will trailer my bike (and mtn bikes) from VA to CO, and then ride the BMWs for the 12 day loop. Wives will be in the chase truck (his F150 & my trailer).
    Looking for a trailer now. Tested my truck with a trailer similar to yours (see attached pic). Was not real happy with the combo.
    Leaning towards getting a larger trailer (Wells Cargo MC122-7-TE (7x14)). That will result in saying goodbye to my ever faithful Taco and our 11 year relationship. ResearchingF150/Silverado/Ram now…
    Next ADV trip is the “Back of the Dragon” in May. Time is running out…
    Bob

Trailer.jpg

6. Aug 29, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    SeekingZero

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Sierra Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks.

I did post up on ADV. But I haven't gotten very far on that yet...

I like the chase truck idea. That sounds like the right way to do it! Here is a picture of the bikes in the trailer.
    [​IMG]

I've thought about upgrading the truck. But I like my Tacoma too much right now and the need isn't that great for me.

7. Oct 24, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    Voyager

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    Ben - I'll have to look for your RR on ADV.

After pricing new trucks, I’m keeping the Taco also. Picked up a 6x12 motorcycle trailer. The R1200 GS fills it up more than I thought it would.

Bob

BMW34.jpg
    BMW44.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top