1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best TSB Story Ever? You decide

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JMan551, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    1BADTOY

1BADTOY Member

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 TRD Sport D-Cab
    Biltein's 5100 @1.75, TSB suspension
    i had the tsb done on my truck a year ago bc bump stops were hitting while hauling my dirt bike. no service complaints at all. however, the bumps still hit occasionally and now i want to add a leaf for another inch of height and to help the problem some.. have 5100s with front set at 1.75.. plan to change that to 2.5. any suggestions on what to do with the rear or is this the wrong thread?

2. Jul 24, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    JMan551

JMan551 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Hood Protector, Magnaflow Exhaust, AFE Intake, Badgless
    There are SOO many replies I want to personally respond to, but it would take me forever to go back and quote them all. Thank you for all the replies.

First off, yes getting the TSB was work. I knew it might end up taking a bit of effort on my part, and at first it looked like there would be no issues at all, but I would have never thought I would go through this crap. The thought of getting something 'extra' for free was my motivation when i first heard of the TSB (from this site). But then I used my truck for hauling dirt, and quickly realized that my truck was not performing to the specifications listed by the manufacturer. I knew that I would eventually be getting a boat, or possibly towing a camper/trailer, or loading up for a camping trip and boat together. I wanted my truck to be at the top of it's game, and at the minimum be able to hold the stated amount of cargo (usually the limit is a conservative number that is easily pushed, but definitely not in the Tacoma's case). I don't expect the truck to be up to par with a 1 ton or anything like that, just hold it's own.

Working on my own rig would be awesome, working on my own rig installing a whole new way better leaf pack or even just an AAL would be even more awesome, but that just isn't realistic for me right now. I am jealous of all of you that know your way around a tool bench, but I just wasn't raised that way. I wouldn't say I have princess hands, my hands are manly enough, but I have only what I have taught myself on my VW Fox and Jetta. One day I would love to be the one who puts the 5100s and lift on my truck, and I really hope I get to do that. I put my intake on...that counts for something, right? lol

At any rate, the work should have been done correctly and when I brought up the crappy suspension issue my dealer should have jumped at the chance to make sure I was happy with my $30k purchase (especially since it is a flaw from Toyota to begin with). I am totally skeptical of any work that may be done on my truck now, and I will do what I can to not ever take it there again.

I have the Alestorm going in the background, all you pirates who are with me get ready for a good old fashion keel-haul. Keep your nuts tight, and your trucks lifted. Thanks for the nice and not so nice replies, I've learned a TON from this site. Can't wait for the next mod.

JER

3. Jul 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I think you'll find that even with the four leaf pack that the improvement over the '09-'10 three leaf is minimal when hauling a yard of dirt, bark, etc.

The biggest issue I have is I traded in a F250 that I really didn't care what I hauled in it. Plus, it could pretty much handle everything. I think my next purchase will be some Timbrens in hopes to stabilize the ride when loaded.

4. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    JMan551

JMan551 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Hood Protector, Magnaflow Exhaust, AFE Intake, Badgless
    In the end I might very well get a beefier leaf pack. Is there ratings on the aftermarket leaf springs? I heard that even an AAL can beef up your hauling cap. What I really want is a 3" lift, I can do the leaf pack then.

JER

Products Discussed in

To Top