1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Type of Axe

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by SeoulMan82, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Jun 15, 2022 at 8:57 AM
    TexasTacoLT

TexasTacoLT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Killeen, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Offroad
    3" Lift (ToyTech Coilovers and AAL) Bilstein 5100 Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Method Double Standard 17" BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 (Removed) 33" BFG Mud Terrain Tires Colormatched Grill surround HomerTaco mesh grill insert Legacy "Toyota" Emblem Shrockworks plate rear bumper All-Pro plate front bumper w/ foglights All-Pro rock sliders Smoked Tail-lights DIY Steel Tailgate reinforcement Locking Tailgate handle Tint (15%) w/ sunstrip Tyger Tonneau cover (Removed) Bestop Soft Topper Bushwhacker colormatched fender flares DIY 8-ball shift knob DIY Amber LED grill lights DIY Debadged WeatherTech floormats Sudued US Flag door decals T-100 style tailgate decal Two way radio w/ 3' whip antenna Warn 8000lb winch CalTrend Neoprene seat covers DIY Bed tie-down anchors
    Since you say you're "building your off-road gear", I am assuming you're looking for something primarily for clearing limbs from a trail. If so, I would cast my vote for a saw over any ax or hatchet. I bought Estwing's 26" camper's ax for this purpose, and their hatchet for camping. I also keep a cheap little folding pruning saw in my truck that I bought at Ace Hardware. I have found that I end up using the cheap little saw for the purposes I bought the axe for, and I use the ax for most purposes that I bought the hatchet for. On the trail, I'll invariably grab the ax thinking I'll chop through a limb in a few whacks...NOPE. I almost always end up slicing through with the pruning saw in pretty short order. I really don't ever use the hatchet, although all three live in my truck anyway.

So, for clearing trails, I'd recommend a pruning saw. The curved blades work the best (fastest). For camping, the 26" Estwing is a versatile choice and the flat side of the head comes in handy as a hammer as well. I rarely find a use for hatchets, besides throwing them at things.:anonymous:

Stuck in VT and SeoulMan82[OP] like this.
  2. Jun 15, 2022 at 9:23 AM
    DingleTower

DingleTower My truck is like yer truck

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    Second (tenth? Thirteenth?) bringing a good saw.

If you have any cordless tools I'd go for a cordless chainsaw too depending on your use. Perfect for clearing a few trees but no so good for cutting a whole trail.

Unless I'm going to be chopping firewood I don't bother bringing an axe.

AxisCab and SeoulMan82[OP] like this.
  3. Jul 19, 2022 at 7:10 PM
    bosbo6939

bosbo6939 Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD or
    Own a 20v dewalt along with multiple stihl chainsaws. The dewalt while slow will usually get the job done

ricphoto likes this.
  4. Jul 19, 2022 at 7:30 PM
    Xero

Xero Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 22 4Runner Trail.
    18 Tacoma TRD off road OME BP51 front Fox 2.0 Resi rear OME Dakar Meduim Yoko G006 325/75r16 Black Rhino stadium wheels Cali raised ditch light brackets Baja Designs S1 pods Baja Designs Squadron SAE fogs Prinsu Cab rack TRD Pro grille AVS rain guards Backwoods adventure mods hi-lite bumper BL Apex 12k winch Dobinsons 4x4 snorkel Sy-clone prefilter ARB rear diff breather relocation RRW rock sliders RCI full skids At the helm bed stiffeners lil b LCA skids Warfab Phantom rear bumper Warfab tie rod sleeves C4 fender liners Dirt king UCA Duro bump stops
    My truck/camp axe is a Fiskars x15 and x7 hatchet. Good solid axes that you won’t care about if it gets beat up or if you let someone barrow it and they chip the edge.

My person favorite is gransfors bruks axes. I have a small forest axe and wildlife hatchet. Their axe head geometry is really awesome. I love how they chop/cut. I wouldn’t let someone else use it though for fear they put it in the dirt and chip the edge.

Also good choice is a Husqvarna (Hultafors ground/Hulks bruk). Another good Swedish axe company.

American made can’t go wrong with counsel tools.

edit. Also like others have said a silky or even a Fiskars folding saw is usually the better tool to use to cut with. I usually use that before an axe.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    AxisCab and chiefcrunchy like this.
  5. Jul 19, 2022 at 7:34 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    The best type of axe is a knife/machete meant specifically to baton fire wood.

1C1E74A6-1A9B-45DC-A1F7-2D5B90E786AF.jpg

The second best if you need to cut up downfall is a foldable saw.

A160EA14-991D-4040-A5DE-2F3B027F10A8.jpg

The best part is they pack better just like they work better for most situations :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    bad_guac and chiefcrunchy like this.
  6. Jul 19, 2022 at 7:58 PM
    $yoda$

$yoda$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4.0
    2.5 inch lift, 285/75r16s, upgraded stereo system, Magnuson mp90 supercharger system.
    Honestly not trying to be a jerk or anything but if you don’t know how to pick out your own axe by this point in your life I don’t think anything these guys tell you is going to be much help.

7. Jul 20, 2022 at 9:23 AM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
    So no point in ever trying to learn new things? Axes are so magical they require a lifetime of study?

What a helpful mindset...

OP, you can split with a chopping blade, but it's a bitch to chop with a splitting blade. The linked axe looks like a "Boys" style, which is honestly perfectly usable. I have a cheap Boys axe I picked up at a flea market and restored the head and hung the handle myself. I've used it backpacking, bushcraft, and tend to carry it in the truck when wheeling. I'm not Paul Bunyan so I'm not going to waste my time chopping downed trees. If I can't clear it with a bow saw, I'm finding an alternate route.

There's good youtube content on how to properly and safely use axes.

8. Jul 20, 2022 at 8:53 PM
    $yoda$

$yoda$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4.0
    2.5 inch lift, 285/75r16s, upgraded stereo system, Magnuson mp90 supercharger system.
    I honestly can’t tell if your messing with me or not. No they are not so magical they require a lifetime of study. They are so simple they require 0 study that’s why they don’t come with instructions. It’s a sharpened chunk of metal on a stick that you swing at wood it’s no exactly new technology. Have we really reached a point where grown men need to watch videos on there cellphones to be able to buy and use an axe? And safety videos? Sometimes when you hit the wood little chunks come off if you get one in your eye it’s probably going to hurt so maybe use some eye protection. Also believe it or not if you hit yourself with the metal on a stick that will probably hurt to so maybe try not to do that. Safety meeting over. I think the real question might be what’s the most popular axe on tacomaworld so I can get one to. At least that I could understand.

Roof Walker and hooliganrick like this.
  9. Jul 21, 2022 at 6:13 AM
    stressler

stressler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD -OR
    I keep a Fiskars x17 splitting axe and a silky big boy outback in the bed at all times. When trail riding and camping I will usually carry an ego 18 in chainsaw as well.

10. Jul 21, 2022 at 6:22 AM
    Chunk

Chunk I smell Ice Cream!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR
    Baby Ruth
    chiefcrunchy likes this.
  11. Aug 5, 2022 at 2:42 PM
    chiefcrunchy

chiefcrunchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '15 DC MGM TRD Sport 4x4 6spd 4.0
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    I carry a fiskars x25 all the time in the cab, i also keep a folding bow saw all the time.p
    That being said, when i go out on the trails i also pack an old True Temper 3.5lb axe with a 36" handle. Ive had to clear trees and debris plenty, weather a bow saw, axe, or chainsaw keep it sharp and it will make things so much easier!
    Plus think about how efficient it is trying to cut a tree w/a hatchet vs a full size axe.

With axes as most everything there is always something to learn.
    I didn't get to read all the posts yet, but I'll gladly share knowledge or advice.

P.S. still reading but unless you're splitting specifically just stick with the regular axe head, if you are splitting lots I just got the Fiskars 8lb maul and its a beast.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Chunk[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 5, 2022 at 3:19 PM
    chiefcrunchy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    Ditto on the Gransfors Bruks!
    I use the Scandinavian forest axe 50% of the time.
    I use the small forest axe on canoe trips,
    and just got the american felling axe this spring.
    If you need to ask are they really worth the $$$, Yes they are.
    0805221829a.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  13. Aug 5, 2022 at 5:04 PM
    chiefcrunchy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Council Tool is made in USA and makes good quality stuff.

09IndianaTaco and AxisCab like this.
  14. Aug 18, 2022 at 2:58 PM
    AxisCab

AxisCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bumville, or some dam place
    Vehicle:
    2018 2.7L 2WD Auto6, utility Axis Cab
    firewood scratches, Labrador hair/slobber, American flag sticker, Total Chaos bed stiffener, Scepter H20 can, onboard air
    also, the necessity of learning cutting tool safety and proper technique goes without saying
    I suppose

chiefcrunchy likes this.
  15. Oct 30, 2022 at 7:08 PM
    09IndianaTaco

09IndianaTaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Timberland Tacoma
    3F8D6015-48F2-4E67-82E1-07FA29D98B03.jpg
    I don’t carry all these but the Fiskars is really good and the mini Fiskars comes in handy. I found the Max at a flea market and found the accessories online. It’s like a Swiss army axe

chiefcrunchy likes this.
  16. Oct 30, 2022 at 7:24 PM
    OhNoItsMe

OhNoItsMe Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR
    I’m a brand whore, so I would go with Gransfors Bruk. I’ve been looking at a lot of YouTube reviews on their axes and the “small forest axe” seems to be a very very popular choice. It’s easy to pack and very reliable from what I’ve seen. Beware though, EBay and Amazon have alot of “Gransfors” knockoffs being sold on there. I would buy from a dealer listed on their site, or from a reliable website if you want the real thing.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    chiefcrunchy likes this.
  17. Nov 6, 2022 at 7:27 AM
    chiefcrunchy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    What brand is the saddle cruiser(Small double bit)?

18. Nov 6, 2022 at 6:10 PM
    09IndianaTaco

09IndianaTaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Timberland Tacoma
    No makers mark on that one, but I’m a sucker for double bits. That one was in very rough shape, handle broke and looked like someone tried to sharpen it with a wood rasp.

chiefcrunchy[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 7, 2022 at 2:48 PM
    chiefcrunchy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Same, i love double bits. I have a Kelly/TT cruiser I found at an antique store in Wisconsin a few years ago that was in rough shape.
    I'll get a pic shortly
    1107222006.jpg 1107222007.jpg 1107222007a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  20. Dec 4, 2022 at 8:24 AM
    DuffyBank

DuffyBank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Most used for small trees and brush is my machete (24" Colima), I also carry a 28" chopping axe (ilitis Ox head), but if the wood is dried out, I reach for the bow saw.

chiefcrunchy likes this.
To Top