1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Type of Axe

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by SeoulMan82, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Dec 29, 2022 at 2:09 PM
    gero

gero Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gero
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue TRD Off Road
    A sharp one, for starters. Learn how to sharpen whatever you buy and keep it sharp. Dull tools are more dangerous than sharp ones. If you feel like making a project of it, look for a Billnas 12/1 or 12/2 axe head and make a handle for it. This axe was designed early 20th century to do everything as the rural Finns could only afford one axe, and this one does it all. I made my handle from an ash plank from a tree taken down on our property. This is a 12/1 head made in the 1930s and was Finnish military issue. IMG_0991.jpg

2. Jan 21, 2023 at 7:51 AM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    A bow saw :rofl:

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-10-30-23-30-Inch-Ergo-Green/dp/B0001IX7TW

Much lighter and much faster than an axe for cross-cutting, e.g. a tree across your line of travel or a branch overhanging the path. If you want something for splitting wood, you can add a smaller axe or for maximum combined utility, a short handle sledge and a splitting wedge. I keep a 30" bow saw in the truck always and add a boy's axe if I'm planning to make firewood.

DuffyBank and chiefcrunchy like this.
  3. Jan 21, 2023 at 9:15 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Bow saws are handy. I'm partial to the https://svensaw.com/ mostly cause it collapses down to nothing and I have had it for 50+ years. The shape does limit cut diameter but that can be worked around.

As far as an axe, hand axes are pretty "handy". They can be found along the trail, come in left, right handed along with ambidextrous. They are pocket sized and easily field sharpenable.

Left, right handed and ambidextrous along with an original "multi tool".
    [​IMG]

Proper fit for each hand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Aug 22, 2023 at 6:16 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Is it even worth to have an axe? Which one?

Fiskars looks nicer than my Husky
    But my Husky isn’t horrible either. It’s at least synthetic so it doesn’t water log like wood

with quick fist double mount (also holds Krazy Beaver shovel) it’s a loose hold that rattled and goofy bike lock.

I want to find a bracket ($50 Smittybilt?) to relocate onto my roof rack
    But it would likely be a lot of work to fit that mount properly

which has me wondering why even have an axe.
    Because only mounting a shovel to rack and no axe would be way easier.
    A shovel is useful. I have used one many times.

axe however I don’t know. #1: never used it.
    I imagine it’s useful camping to split wood for fire.
    Or split in half a downed tree blocking a trail

However idk how long that takes. If it’s 5hrs of chopping with an axe than obviously a cordless chainsaw is the better solution for that problem, not going through the trouble of mounting an axe to sit around and not be useful

trucks I’ve seen that live in the middle of nowhere, where downed trees are common
    They have a holder on the truck to carry a chainsaw

chiefcrunchy likes this.
  5. Aug 23, 2023 at 5:43 AM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    Any axe you have is better then all those you don`t have!

A chain saw is even better for that first trip into the camp after snow melt.

The way I see things.

chiefcrunchy likes this.
  6. Aug 23, 2023 at 5:51 AM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    I usually carry a nice 2.5lb camp axe with a wooden handle I put on myself. Much cheaper and the wooden handle just feels better than any with fiberglass. Never had to use it for recovery, just for fun.

chiefcrunchy likes this.
  7. Aug 24, 2023 at 6:58 PM
    TacoTuesday1

Member:
    SoCal
    is there any reason to get Fiskars over this 34"
    the only issue with this Husky I can think of, besides an ugly logo
    is the blade "cover" falls off if you glance at it
    if you're driving around in public and that falls off exposing the blade, and exposing it to rust, that's kind of sketch

[​IMG]

edit: I see Fiskars has a 28" for $10 more with anti-vibe handle
    I believe the Husky is not anti-vibe
    that is a good selling point, anti vibe is important
    anti vibe hammers for example are the industry standard. I have some and they're worth it

chiefcrunchy likes this.
  8. Aug 25, 2023 at 3:40 PM
    chiefcrunchy

chiefcrunchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '15 DC MGM TRD Sport 4x4 6spd 4.0
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    Quality of the head is the main reason to get fiskars vs. Husky.
    Fiskars is ready to go from the store, husky will need about 45 min worth of sharpening just to cut ok.
    If you're OK with the additional $10, it's an exponentially better tool that will outlast the husky indefinitely.

P.S.- The blade cover on the husky is purely for delivery to the store so its covered while at the store. Otherwise it won't stay on.

9. Aug 25, 2023 at 4:22 PM
    TacoTuesday1

Member:
    SoCal
    yep
    Got the Fiskars
    It’s way better in many ways

now to figure out how to mount shovel and axe to right side of roof rack atop door while maintaining clearance

10. Aug 25, 2023 at 6:16 PM
    risethewake

risethewake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport AC
    Basics. Tires, painted headlighes, UHLM, baby winch in the bed, and heated mirrors :)
    I've sheared heads off of Husky axes/hatchets without much effort, and they get loose pretty quickly, hence my vote also goes to Fiskars. Better attachment, stronger/lighter handles, and better quality steel. Can land really good/accurate swings and hard hits for the light weight.

I've beat the dogshit out of my x25, overall taken terrible care of it (left it out in the rain/snow, etc), and all it's needed is surface rust wirebrushed off, a spritz of preserving oil or rustoleum, and a quick resharpening and it's good as new. Holds a sharp edge much better splitting (very) hardwood than most others I've used. That flared splitting head does a fantastic job blasting apart even stubborn knotty logs.

Recently picked up a 14" Gerber hatchet from REI. Gotta say, I was pretty disappointed with how dull the edge was outta the box. It worked okay, but not in keeping with the Gerber name IMO. But it IS very well balanced, light, and handles nice. I've yet to use it after sharpening it myself, so I have no data on how well it keeps its edge yet. Looking forward to testing it out some when I get a chance again.

For folding saws I really like both the 21" Sven Saw as well as the Coghlans variant. The latter isn't quite as low-profile as the Sven when folded, but still slim, assembles easily and there's no wing nut to drop/lose. Both can be a little challenging for larger logs due to their triangular shapes, but not a show-stopper by any means. The pocketknife-style folding saws always feel too awkward to use for me, and hard to get a good rhythm going with any kind of cutting force. And the blades aren't easily sharpenable/replaceable, whereas the others I mentioned use standard bowsaw blades available from any hardware store. Always been a big fan of standard full-size bowsaws as well, if you have the room.

When truck camping/broverlanding, I just toss my Stihl 026 in the bed with quart can of premix and some bar oil. A little overkill but it's what i have, and comes in handy for quick firewood (big logs to later split with X25), or more importantly make quick work of a blowdown blocking the trail.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    chiefcrunchy likes this.
  11. Aug 25, 2023 at 6:25 PM
    risethewake

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport AC
    Basics. Tires, painted headlighes, UHLM, baby winch in the bed, and heated mirrors :)
    Also, not to thread-jack, but anyone know where I can find a replacement sheath for my x25? The "stock" plastic one is long gone and I'd really like to keep it covered. A universal one is fine, I just can't seem to find just sheaths anywhere anymore. I could swear they used to be standard items in every Home Depot

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
  12. Aug 26, 2023 at 10:56 AM
    Laxtoy

Laxtoy Dog is my backseat driver

Member:
    Maltby, WA
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4l 5 speed 4WD 2023 Limited DCLB 4WD
    Fox 2.5 DSC resi CO's w/ 700lb King Coils, Camburg uca's, T-100 rear leafs, 13WL Tundra brakes, 1" 4crawler body lift, 295/75/16 Hankook MT, Ruff Stuff u bolt flip, 10" Fox LSC resi shocks turned back on custom mounts, home built rear high clearance bumper with dual swing outs, Diode Dynamics SSC2 Pro rear floods, Skid Row front and transfer case skid, home built transmission skid, Mercerfab sliders, home built front bumper, Badlands Apex 12k winch with synth line, 4.56's, ARB rear locker, home built rack with CVT Mt. Shasta, eBay snorkel, Sierra LEDs 20" dual amber/white light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Max amber fogs, Mini D2S projector retrofit, Blue Sea ML-ACR, dual Odyssey PC1200's, 100 watt solar panel, 20 plate heat exchanger/home built shower kit
    IMG_7338.jpg I’ve got a fiskars chopping axe- 28” handle- not wise to go out on infrequently traveled trails in mountains without one, especially the first times up a trail after the snow melts or heavy rain. I’ve been out with several vehicles where we came to a large tree across the trail, 4 guys with axes and some muscle made quick work.

Shovel is a Fiskars ergo I took the handle off and welded a ball at the end for grip if using snow gloves or mittens. I like the shape of the handle and the length is between a long handle and short.

Both are very reasonably priced and built well for the money.

Forest service recommends everyone bring an axe, shovel and water, and certain areas may require it, especially if you’re having a campfire.

I use a leather one, works well
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014JVLHWU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

13. Aug 26, 2023 at 2:15 PM
    risethewake

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM Sport AC
  14. Aug 26, 2023 at 6:47 PM
    Laxtoy

Member:
    Maltby, WA
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.5 DSC resi CO's w/ 700lb King Coils, Camburg uca's, T-100 rear leafs, 13WL Tundra brakes, 1" 4crawler body lift, 295/75/16 Hankook MT, Ruff Stuff u bolt flip, 10" Fox LSC resi shocks turned back on custom mounts, home built rear high clearance bumper with dual swing outs, Diode Dynamics SSC2 Pro rear floods, Skid Row front and transfer case skid, home built transmission skid, Mercerfab sliders, home built front bumper, Badlands Apex 12k winch with synth line, 4.56's, ARB rear locker, home built rack with CVT Mt. Shasta, eBay snorkel, Sierra LEDs 20" dual amber/white light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Max amber fogs, Mini D2S projector retrofit, Blue Sea ML-ACR, dual Odyssey PC1200's, 100 watt solar panel, 20 plate heat exchanger/home built shower kit
    I hunted for a while, had to measure the blade size, yada yada yada, this one works and is secure but pretty easy to take off

15. Aug 26, 2023 at 7:03 PM
    chiefcrunchy

chiefcrunchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '15 DC MGM TRD Sport 4x4 6spd 4.0
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    When I know there's going to be lots of trees I keep the chainsaw handy as well.
    But I have beat the crap out of my x25 and it keeps on ticking(just needs a touch up on the blade with a diamond stone).

For hand saws I've switched from the 21" sven saw to a Corona Pruning saw. It comes with a 14" blade, but its replaceable so I upgraded to a 19" blade from silky.
    It's not Amazon but I get a lot of replacement blades and small parts from WeSpur it's an arborist supply co. out in WA and have most anything related to cutting/sawing trees you can imagine.

Here's a link to axe sheath
    https://www.wesspur.com/SAW636-single-bit-axe-blade-cover

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  16. Aug 26, 2023 at 8:36 PM
    TacoTuesday1

Member:
    SoCal
    What mount is that? Looks sturdy

I can’t seem to find any that would fit a Sherpa rack

17. Aug 27, 2023 at 6:47 PM
    Laxtoy

Member:
    Maltby, WA
    Vehicle:
    Homemade mount- I made it so I could remove the axe and shovel separately

18. Aug 30, 2023 at 6:14 PM
    bruhman

bruhman Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    '22 White TRD Pro MT
    SnugTop canopy
    Lord Helmet and chiefcrunchy like this.
  19. Aug 30, 2023 at 6:29 PM
    EL DUDE

EL DUDE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wranglerstar on YouTube has good vids about different axes and tools

20. Sep 3, 2023 at 6:51 PM
    bad_guac

bad_guac Actually, this IS my first rodeo...

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green DCSB TRD OR
    Accutune stage 4 Adjustable King 2.5's w/resi's All the meso Diamondback HD 1.25" spacers 265/75R16 Diode dynamics fog/ditch/stealth lightbar Sliders RCI skids KDMax tune Total Chaos bed gussets Etc...
    I've had good luck finding high quality sheaths on etsy of all places.

As far as my $0.02, I PREFER to cut with a saw and split with a bushcraft knife/machete. Hatchets and axes are far too dangerous for my very limited amount of regular practice to mess around with while I'm out in the middle of nowhere alone. That being said I keep a fiskars chopping axe in my recovery kit. It and a collapsing bow saw from agawa gear saved my bacon a few years ago. Some day I'll end up buying one of Milwaukee's new top handle battery saws to add to the kit.

To Top