1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best way to lift a regular cab 4 banger?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bubba289, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    bubba289

bubba289 [OP] weaksauce

Member:
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '02 regular cab
    none as of now
    all of the threads i see about bilsteins and eibachs seem to be talking about extra, access, or crew cab V6's. i'm guessing these would be far too stiff a ride for a regular cab 4 banger. and i know everyone is against spacers. so whats the best option for my truck? AAL in the rear i assume, but what about the front? if there's already a huge thread discussing this i apologize.

2. Dec 21, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    Shouldn't be an issue. Stay clear of coils intended for heavy applications like bumpers or armor and you'll be fine.

3. Dec 21, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    :jellydance: ?

4. Dec 21, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Locker, Yaesu FT 8900 Ham Radio
    What usage?

For street, just get the 5100s for the front and set them.

OME is stiffer on regular cabs than on the V6 access/double cabs - but it works, especially once you start adding heavy off-roading gear to your truck; which of course is what it's intended for.

5. Dec 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    bubba289

bubba289 [OP] weaksauce

Member:
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '02 regular cab
    none as of now
    i dunno that much about this whole process yet, but i have read several threads where people were complaining about the rough ride of 5100's on V6 trucks. i would think if its rough on a V6 crew cab its gonna be unbearable on a regular cab 4cyl

i want 2-3", yes. i just havent decided which route to go yet. i had a 97 with a 3" body lift back in the day and it looked great (except for the big gap where u could see the light of day between the bed and the frame :eek:)

as far as usage. i have a camry so any trips over 30min or so will def be done in that. this will be just for me to have a fun little truck i can play with. i havent had a 4x4 since i sold my tundra about 4yrs back and i miss it. but with that said, i dont want it to ride like shit on the road either cuz roads around here arent the best. i would like to add a big bumper and winch at some point but it would be a little ways off due to lack of funds.

i dont know anything about the specs. this just seems to be the most common lift recommendation around here and i happened to notice all of the people talking about it are driving extra/access/crew cabs. i thought i might be missing the discussions about regular cab 4cyl trucks somewhere.

with the bilsteins i really dont like the idea of having only 1" of down travel. especially since i dont have lockers.

6. Dec 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Longtime Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Silver State Edition
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s Click the sig pic to see the build thread .
    I like OME. Old Man Emu makes three different springs for different weight caring needs, not one size fits all and designed shocks to work with them.
    I have an 2nd gen access cab 4Banger and use the middle spring (885s for 2nd gen & 883s for 1st) with the Dakar leaf packs in the rear. I got a full 3" lift front & rear.
    Since you have a 1st gen regular cab 4Banger I would recommend the 881s. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.ph...tegory_id=121&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

[​IMG]

7. Dec 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    bubba289

bubba289 [OP] weaksauce

Member:
    oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '02 regular cab
    none as of now
    very helpful man, thanks! so would i need new shocks too if i opted for those coils? i see at the bottom is says "NOTE: 882 and 883 coils require matching OME 90004 front shocks", so i assume the factory shocks will work with the coils, but are probably not ideal. is that about right? again, i dont want to get myself into a situation where i only have 1" of down travel because this truck will see its fair share of off road time.

To Top