1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best way to route wires from roof?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mmmooretx, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    mmmooretx

mmmooretx [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4 door TRD 4X4
    I have a 2011 4D Tacoma 4X4 TRD with the factory roof rack, the one that pivots across the roof when in the use position. At some point I want to get the Surco roof rack and permanently attach it. This means I would add the Surco lighting option, 2 lights, to the rack and I am a ham radio operator and will need to route these wires/cables to the inside. I might route them down the center pillion so I can place the radio under the drivers seat and light switches on the console.
    Any advice on how to do this without causing leak or rust issues would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Nov 20, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Route the wires from the roof into the cab thru the third tail light at the back of the cab.

3. Nov 20, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If it was just an antenna, I'd say install an NMO mount.

Be careful when routing wires up there now--you have airbags in the roof. You don't want to run wires near or over those bags, especially antenna wires that could cause RFI.

Products Discussed in

To Top