1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best way to value and sell an older / classic car...

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by zguy1, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Jan 12, 2024 at 9:41 AM
    zguy1

zguy1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Hello everyone.

My father has had a 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 sitting for the past 20+ years in his garage. I have been cleaning out his garage and it is time for this to go. It ran and drove when he parked it.

I have spent sometime looking it over and the frame is severely rusted. The rear brake lines are completely gone. I cleaned up the points and changed the fuel filter that goes into the carburetor and it fired right up. To avoid running off of the old fuel in the gas tank, I ran a short fuel line to the fuel pump from a gas can.

The interior is in good shape. I will double check but I believe the hood, trunk and doors are in good shape too. The rears quarters have rust on the bottom and the left quarter is dented.

I would assume the buyer would be doing a restoration to repair the frame or using it for parts.

How do I determine what the value is or asking price should be?

Appreciate the suggestions as always...

2. Jan 12, 2024 at 10:06 AM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Probably look around marketplace and the like to see what someone is asking for a car similar to your own. Beyond that maybe look for some classic Ford or Galaxy forums and snoop around those. A lot will depend on if the frame is repairable or if the car is doomed to be a parts car. The last thing you can do is dig around the internet and see what are sought after parts. Interior, trim and the like. Strip it of those and good panels, doors, fenders, hood and such and part out. Those can be hard to find parts. I helped my uncle restore one back in the 90's (a 63.5) and we drove 7 hours just to get an original piece of trim. The value is really what someone is willing to pay. A Galaxy forum would be a great place to start.

Option two, start watching Roadkill and Roadkill Garage. Shore up the frame or find a donor and have a bunch of Shenanigan's!

3. Jan 13, 2024 at 6:57 AM
    zguy1

Member:
    Midwest
    Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to do a restoration one day. Just never thought about doing a Ford though. In any case, I am not in a position to do one on any car at this point in time.

4. Jan 13, 2024 at 7:03 AM
    ace_10

ace_10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rural NoVA
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen, Best Gen X2
    If you provide the body style, trim and drivetrain, I can look up the Hagerty values for you. With the rust issues, it'd be in #4 condition.

5. Jan 13, 2024 at 7:23 AM
    zguy1

Member:
    Midwest
    It's a 2-door 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 with a V8 (289 ci).

Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

ace_10 likes this.
  6. Jan 13, 2024 at 7:32 AM
    ace_10

ace_10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rural NoVA
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen, Best Gen X2
    Here you go
    upload_2024-1-13_10-30-37.png

With only $10K of headroom between a #4 and a #1, IMO there's basically no way to restore and not lose your shirt. Gotta be a labor of love.

Good luck.

shakerhood and TacoSR523 like this.
  7. Jan 13, 2024 at 7:39 AM
    ace_10

ace_10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rural NoVA
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen, Best Gen X2
    shakerhood and TacoSR523 like this.
  8. Jan 13, 2024 at 7:44 AM
    not a charger

not a charger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2023 silver Tacoma SR
    Cool car, very tough to find some of those parts though. Other than the quarter rust, is the body/underside solid? Rusted brake lines, fuel lines, tank, etc. wouldn't bother me much because that's easy to address. But floor, structural, door seams, trunk lid seam, etc. rust is a real killer unless it's a labor of love.

9. Jan 13, 2024 at 7:49 AM
    zguy1

Member:
    Midwest
    I agree with your assessment. I wouldn't pay $5300 for this car as is. The car would need frame repair or another frame, brakes, brake lines and a bunch of seals to say the least before being road worthy. My thought is maybe it is closer to a $2000 car. That price might still require the right buyer.

That's a lot of car for the price.

ace_10[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:11 AM
    not a charger

not a charger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2023 silver Tacoma SR
    I hate to say it, but if it's that far gone rust wise, it's a parts car unless someone just has to have it or just has to restore it. It would cost a fortune to fix, would not be worth a whole lot, and has a narrow buyer's market.

ace_10 likes this.
  11. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:16 AM
    zguy1

Member:
    Midwest
    I need to take a closer look at the body and underside but the frame is very rusted and has missing sections. I know the rear quarters have rust at the bottom which is apparent from inside the trunk. I think the front fenders have some rust at the bottom. I believe the hood and trunk do not have any rust but would need to check. I also need to check the doors but they might be okay too. Bottom line, the weather and rust has not been kind to the underside of this car.

If the frame was not an issue, I think you could give the car a tune up, replace the brake lines, reseal the engine and transmission, replace the fuel pump, power steering pump, belts and drive this car all day. However, that is not the case as there are frame issues which are structural.

Here are a few more pictures of what I have with me. I think the fuel tank must have been leaking as there is a new fuel tank in the trunk. Looks like my dad got another tail light as well as there is one in there too. Btw, I can't get too much information from my dad as he now has dementia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shakerhood likes this.
  12. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:18 AM
    hr206

hr206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRD OR, '98 regular cab 4x4
  13. Jan 13, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    shakerhood likes this.
  14. Feb 4, 2024 at 7:09 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    As things go. that car looks pretty good from up top, most from back then are ate all the way around the wheels if not from the west. I guess it was washed often but not underneath. Shame.

Products Discussed in

To Top