1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best wireless coverage in PNW?

Discussion in 'North West' started by dabbinuguay, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Sep 10, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    Sparky.

Sparky. Bought, built, totaled

Member:
    First Name:
    Dawson
    Enumclaw Washington
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 AC 6MT -R.I.P, ‘08 cummins
    verizon is the only service the works at my house, as well as century link internet so im kind of limited :rofl:

wilcam47 likes this.
  2. Oct 5, 2019 at 10:13 PM
    Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD AC Off Road
    Verizon is the best for eastern Oregon, my consumer cellular (T Mobile) doesn’t work in many places where Verizon does.

3. Oct 13, 2019 at 8:00 PM
    '14RC

'14RC WA State

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Regular Cab 5MT
    2" Lift & 32" tires w/ Camping Setup (see details) Suspension: Dobinson 2" Coils (PN: C59-316) 4x Bilstein 5100's (base setting) SPC Upper Control Arms Deaver J66 Leaf Springs Ride-Rite Airbags Archive Garage Hammer Hangers Poly Leaf Spring Bushing Camping: SnugTop Canopy ARB awning Built a Camping Shelf in the Bed Yakima Mega Warrior Roof Basket Interior: Bucket Seat Conversion Acoustically Insulated Interior Added Cruise Control Rear Storage Organizers Traction: Yellow Wire Mod Alloy's with 265/75/16 Towing: Aftermarket Class III Tow Hitch Trailer Wiring Brake Controller (wired, not installed) Misc: ECGS Bearing NH Oil Undercoating
    Another vote for Verizon here!

4. Oct 13, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Verizon,

Though T-Mobile is fine if you're only in urban areas but as soon as you go semi rural they're as useless as a payphone

5. Dec 9, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    Big Foot

Big Foot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB
    Verizon has the best coverage on the coast & in the mtns around here from my experience. Never been with anyone who had a different carrier have coverage when I didn’t. Definitely pay a premium for it tho...

6. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    Vo0Do0

Vo0Do0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 VooDoo Blue Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    If you have Xfinity for internet check out their mobile plans.. $45 for unlimited and they use Verizon for coverage so if Verizon has signal so does Xfinity.

7. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:35 PM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    I'm a civil engineer that specializes in wireless design. I actually design cell sites for the 4 main wireless carriers. I've traveled to every nook and cranny of WA, OR, ID, and a good majority of AK and HI.

1. Verizon
    2. AT&T
    3. T-mobile
    4. Sprint
    In that order. Any other brand/carrier will be piggybacking on those networks and will restrict data. Phone calls should be fine. I have VZW and won't switch, no matter how bad they rape me on price. You can get T-mo for cheap, but if it doesn't work when you NEED it, how cheap was it really?

Hank Heel likes this.
  8. Dec 12, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    Vo0Do0

Vo0Do0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    While not a civil engineer I do travel a lot for my work and then even more for personal. I mostly travel WA, OR, ID, MT, SD, ND, MN, UT, WY, CO, NV, and NE using Xfinity (which is the same network as Verizon) at all times of the year and never had a single issue with data. Their unlimited is full unlimited up to 20GB, after that it is throttled a bit (However so is Verizons unlimited last I looked).

Am I missing something? I know Xfinity is using Verizon for the MVNO... however, in my experience, I have never had an issue, always have data (at least enough to not notice my streaming services bog down) and I stream constantly while driving for half of the price Verizon quoted me just for having the name "verizon" on the phones splash screen.

9. Dec 12, 2019 at 9:34 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    As someone who would often trek out to remote mountain areas in WA, my Verizon phone typically worked while the others in the groups with AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint did not. Suburban areas will be fine with the other carriers, though if I was forced to use another the only one I would consider would be AT&T. Verizon is the most expensive, but I'll gladly pay more for it to work when I need it rather than save a few dollars with less reliable service in the mountains. There is the Xfinity angle claiming 'same Verizon service'... yeah, I don't trust Comcast at all, and I'd rather not give them a dime more than I have to. Though I have no hard data to say the Xfinity service is actually any different.

Bertw192 likes this.
  10. Dec 12, 2019 at 9:43 PM
    Vo0Do0

Vo0Do0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It is not speculation on Xfinity using Verizon as the MVNO, so anywhere Verizon works so will Xfinity. The one difference I have seen is WHEN Verizon will throttle your data.. Xfinity contract is at 20GB/month but on Verizon you can go up to 50GB on their $90/month plan. However if you chose to do by-the-gig plan on Xfinity then they will never throttle the data regardless how much you use.

For my work I have AT&T, I would stick with Verizon. Many times I cannot get service on my work phone and have to use my personal to make a call or look something up.

As far as trust, that is personal.. I am sure you feel valid in your distrust. I have no love for them either, but they have never done anything, to me, to distrust them.. well nothing any other for-profit company has not also done.

crashnburn80[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Dec 16, 2019 at 12:11 PM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    I don't work with Xfinity, because as has been mentioned, they don't have a network. They use the VZW network.

Regardless, I assure you, you aren't getting the same quality of service from Xfinity as you would from VZW, for less money than you'd pay VZW. Why would you? How would that partnership make financial sense to VZW? They're not going to undercut themselves through another provider.

Toywoodsguy82 likes this.
  12. Dec 16, 2019 at 1:46 PM
    Vo0Do0

Vo0Do0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have yet to see a difference as I carry a Verizon enabled device for work and Xfinity for personal (Plus AT&T for a work phone) and while I have noticed a lot of drops on the AT&T I have never once experienced a difference between Xfinity and Verizon. Data bandwidth, connection, throttling.. none.

Also, from what I gathered part of the deal when Comcast sold spectrum to Verizon was a better deal when they would eventually launch their wireless offerings:
    https://corporate.comcast.com/news-...s-spectrum-to-verizon-wireless-for-36-billion

Also, I was one of them that came from Verizon.. and I am not alone:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wire...finity-mobile-stealing-customers-from-and-why

Now I admit, it might just be the area I am in but so far.. the only difference I have seen is the amount I pay and who the check goes to.

Products Discussed in

To Top