1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bestop vs Softopper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blueburban6, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    EngiNerd

EngiNerd That There Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB
    Bestop, back-up lights, bed lights
    Just got an installed my Bestop and I am liking it. Simple enough to put on and fold down. I am got it because I am moving some stuff soon and am tired of tarps. Only a couple of questions for other owners...
    From inside I can see through some of the stitching, is that an issue with leaking? Is there something I can use to seal it that will not mess with the canvas?
    The front corners have gaps between the sire rail and front flap that I can fit my pinky. Not huge, but again, I don't want leaks.

Any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

2. Feb 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    ASUAviator

ASUAviator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Bestop has the windows that slide in and out. Do they make a black canvas option to slide in and out too?? Would it be easy to rig up some shades if not??

3. Feb 18, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    gb42

gb42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCSB MT
    Almost a year later I ended up going Bestop after seeing a softopper in person. I like the windows and I felt the softtopper shape wasn't aesthetically pleasing.

4. Feb 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I bought my softopper a year ago and love it. It still looks brand new. Personally I'm not a fan of the look of the bestop with the windows in, looks thrown together to me like it's made out of different pieces. Softoppers are hand made in the USA and the guy who answers the phone is the guy who made mine. Awesome service.

[​IMG]

I currently have mine tucked away with the cover that came with it, extra.

Looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. Feb 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    ASUAviator

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ^ Do you know the answer to my question?

6. Feb 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I'm not sure about black canvas but I do know they have screen/mesh inserts you can get.

7. Feb 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM
    schwangster

schwangster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Qualicum Beach/Baja
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC, Ironman/Duratracs
    Ironman
    Don't think they have those anymore. Or canvas windows.
    But replacement windows are available and pretty reasonable, if you want to try modding them to what you want.

8. Feb 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    ASUAviator

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Thank you. One would think they have the option. gotta find time away from work that I could call and find out

9. Feb 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM
    schwangster

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Qualicum Beach/Baja
    Vehicle:
    Ironman
  10. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:16 AM
    TugBoatTrash

TugBoatTrash Face first!! Hammer down!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    E. Freetown MA
    Vehicle:
    15 DC Tundra SR5
    Do dents and scratches count?
    I'm trying to decide which one to purchase. My main purpose for buying one is hauling the dog around. Right now he rides in the cab and those coonhound hairs are driving me crazy! I am leaning towards the softtopper but am wondering if you can drive around with it as a canopy, say up to highway speeds. Does anyone know if this is possible?

11. Feb 19, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    gb42

gb42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCSB MT
    I can't speak from experience on the softopper but I would be willing to bet my left testicle you can. I drive on the highway with my bestop-aint no thing but a chicken wing.

12. Feb 19, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    schwangster

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Qualicum Beach/Baja
    Vehicle:
    Ironman
    Bestop here. Just drove from Cabo San Lucas to Vancouver Canada, on the I-5 at 70-80mph all the way. No flapping. Handled like part of the truck.
    The only time I've had an issue is when I take all the windows out and drive it at highway speeds. Sometimes the back end will unclip if I don't have the tension up. Just flaps around until I reattach it.

13. Jul 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    wyoming4x4

wyoming4x4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma 4wd
    nothing yet but I get with you guys on this project. Want to keep it resonable.
    Which one would hold up better in cold weather is my question. Both look great but wyoming winters. Thanks from wyoming.

14. Jul 18, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    EngiNerd

EngiNerd That There Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB
    Bestop, back-up lights, bed lights
    The windows do get brittle as they get really cold, but they are pretty solid. Since Bestop is the same company that makes the Jeep tops I would see if there are any older Jeeps with soft tops in the area and see how they have held up.
    I take mine off during the winter to be safe, but it's a permanent fixture the other 3 seasons.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  15. Jul 18, 2014 at 6:21 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Had the softopper for a while and had no issues with it. It was awesome. I later went with a shell to suit my needs.
    The softopper looks so much better then the Bestop

16. Aug 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    kertaco

kertaco New Member

Member:
    Southeast US
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    I'm guessing I'd need to remove my Husky toolbox to install either a Bestop or Softopper. It's bolted into the front and both sides of the bed walls. Any experience/comments on that?

17. Aug 17, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    FishTacos

FishTacos New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OR
    Hi all,

I just picked up a Tacoma this week and am new to the forum. I'm considering a collapsible soft cap for the new DCSB TRD OR and there's some good insight here.

Like many others, it's come down to Softopper vs Bestop.

Does the the Bestop play nice with racks (kayaks, ladder, lumber hauling options)?

It appears that there's a rack option from Softopper in which the rack doesn't interfere with the cap functionality. From looking on their website it seems to install with enough clearance that the cap will still fold down. In addition to the Bestop windows getting brittle in the winter, the rack issue might be the deciding factor for me. Plus Softopper is a local company.

Anyone have experience with a similar set up? Other options for a soft cap with rack system than Softopper?

take it light

18. Feb 5, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Turd Herding Jim What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    My best top just arrived, and in the directions it says to install with temps of over 72 degrees due to shrinking of fabric. Ok, no problem. My concern is once I get it installed and have it up in weather colder than freezing am I going to have to worry about the snaps coming undone while driving, or the seams ripping apart? I sure hope not because I bought it to haul a lot of my personal belongings in the bed for my move from central WI to North Western WA. Anybody with some insight would greatly help!

19. Feb 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM
    Turd Herding Jim

Turd Herding Jim What's wrong bro, DERPes flaring up?

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Jim
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    3" Icon Stage 3 lift, All Pro Off Road APEX front bumper, Amor Tech Off Road high clearance rear bumer, Armor Tech Off Road rock sliders. URD Short Shifter, HID Headlights, Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 285/75-16 Falken Rock Mountain ATS tires, 4.56's with front and rear ARB air lockers, BesTop Soft Cover
    That's what I'm hoping for! And they do not kid about it shrinking either! about 3 inches around 5 degrees! Thanks bud!

20. Feb 10, 2015 at 9:03 PM
    ragincajun35

ragincajun35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB MG TRD Offroad
    See Builds....
    Soooo..... have we reached a definitive answer to which is the better top? Also whats the price on these guys. I'm seeing $639 on the bestop and around $725 on the softopper.

Products Discussed in

To Top