1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Better Gas Mileage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Manofs, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Aug 30, 2007 at 7:18 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    The pic of my truck from behind where you can see the licsense plate. I got that just for you :)

2. Aug 30, 2007 at 8:27 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    That's a real special kind of love you got there. :rolleyes:

3. Aug 30, 2007 at 9:00 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm sorry, its an impulse i can't control. there's a jackass side of my personality and it always beats the not jackass side. You know i got nothin but love for you baby.... even though you are a dirty Texan. If i can convince you to come to the Carolina Meet then i'll get ya drunk to make up for all the grief i give you on the site ;)

4. Aug 30, 2007 at 9:08 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I hope I can make it up for the Carolina Meet. Hopefully getting some better MPG will help out with my budget. ;)

Ya know, technically I am not a Texan. I have only lived in Texas for 2 years. I really haven't lived any one place for very long. Heck I even lived in Jefferson, North Carolina for 3 months in college. So, I am really a nomad. :cool:

5. Aug 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I hate those dirty nomads!!!

Its not important that you're not from texas, or that i can't remember why or how this fued started between texas and the Alliance. All that matters is that you live in Texas now and for some reason or another (i cant seem to remember why...) i have decided to pick a fight with every texan i see. And since you're a mod from Texas that makes you like their leader... or something. and i'm some kind of internet freedom fighter.... or something. You're like Darth Vader and i'm Luke Skywalker.... except not gay. or maybe i'm Han Solo..... Look i dont know what i'm thinking at any given time and i sure as hell dont know why i do the things i do or say the things i say. All i know is that Texas makes me think of the Deathstar and its up to me to stop it!

6. Aug 30, 2007 at 9:35 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    In case you could't tell Star Wars was on HBO recently and i watched it....

7. Aug 30, 2007 at 9:58 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Okay, I just got off the phone with Ben Talamantez of ECO-Systems. Since he is based here in San Antonio, he is going to stop by my office and we will install the unit today. I am going to run home right now for lunch and get my digital camera to take pictures of the unit install (guess I should stop by the car wash too).

I will let you know more this evening.

8. Aug 30, 2007 at 10:07 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    This is a great idea guys. I am interested in the results. It all sounded great here, until I looked at their site. Kind of cheap, like the sites of the guys selling "Chips".
    Also, I dont like that they tested the performance gains on a harley. I work with them a lot and they come so de-tuned from the dealership, you could wash it and increase the HP. If you took off either the exhaust slip ons or the air filter you could see double the gains of this device.
    But it might work, the more atomization you get the faster the fuel/air mixture should burn. So I will wait for more info.
    Thanks for doing the research.

9. Aug 30, 2007 at 6:13 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well, Ben came to my work and installed the Vapor Pressure Reducer. It was very simple to install.

As for the difference it has made, I can't tell you too much about the power of it since I spent most of my time doing stop and go traffic. I did notice that I peeled out around a corner when I was leaving the office, but that could be due to the horrible Dunlop AT20s.

When I got home I topped off my tank, and I will begin the log tomorrow morning. I also took some pictures of the install, but I have to wait until I get to my work computer to upload them.

...more to come.

10. Aug 30, 2007 at 6:44 PM
    TRDfly

TRDfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    What's the price for the 4.0L???:confused:

11. Aug 30, 2007 at 7:07 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Did I miss it? I saw the talk about it being cheap. What is the cost? I see they have a dealer/installer very near me. I will wait for Mark's results before I contact them or if the group buy thing works out, I'm in.

12. Aug 30, 2007 at 8:03 PM
    TACOMA915

TACOMA915 Active Member

Member:
    How much are these systems going for?

13. Aug 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM
    tacomaclay

tacomaclay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4 04
    Flowmaster exhaust, K&N 77 series intake, kobalt aluminum toolbox
    R they making them for older models too.

14. Aug 31, 2007 at 12:09 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    They are not model specific, they make five different versions based on engine and fuel line size, motorcycle size, 4 cyl size, 6 and 5.0L 8cyl or smaller, v8 bigger than 5.0L and then several sizes of diesel specific designs, so as long as you have a fuel line one of these will work for you.

15. Aug 31, 2007 at 12:15 AM
    Manofs

Manofs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hey rich, i email the ECO guy for a price. for 4.0L 4x4 2007 tacoma, its 189.00 plus 39.00 install hope this helps.

16. Aug 31, 2007 at 12:59 AM
    Rich Swanner

Rich Swanner Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black PreRunner DC V6 SR5 LB
    Leer 100R Shell NXT Tech Wax
    Thanks! Rich

17. Aug 31, 2007 at 4:18 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Here are some pictures of the install. This install requires no modifications to the 2nd Generation Tacomas as it has quick disconnects for the fuel line. Ben told me that any vehicle built after 2001 should have the same fuel line quick disconnects. I haven't confirmed this yet, but it makes sense.

This is the unit for the 4 cylinder and smaller displacement units, ECO-1. The units designation (if someone asks you what "exactly" it is) is a Vapor Pressure Enhancer.

[​IMG]

Ben had to show me which line was the fuel line and which was the return line. If you follow the line up the the top of the engine, you can see the fuel rail going under the engine cover.

[​IMG]

Ben was very kind to install the unit for me. ECO-Systems recommends having a professional do the installation since it involves the fuel line. Gasoline is volital, but just as important is getting the ECO-System on the CORRECT fuel line. It is easy to get the fuel line and the return line confused even though they are technically two different sizes.

[​IMG]

The only adjustment that we needed to make was to turn the braided intake line so that the unit could be securely mounted.

[​IMG]

Once it was adjusted, Ben secured it with zip ties to prevent it from moving around and ending up against other parts of truck.

[​IMG]

That was the entire install. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask.

The ECO-1 (4 cylinder engines like the 2.7L and 2.4L Tacoma engines) is marketed at $130.00, and the ECO-2 (V6 engines like the 4.0L and 3.4L Tacoma engines) is marketed at $189.00.

I would hold off on buying one until this test is concluded. If we like the results, we can work out a "Group Buy" discount with ECO-Systems. I have already put the bug in Ben's ear.

Yes, like Adam said, they will work on any combustion engine with a liquid fuel.

18. Aug 31, 2007 at 4:21 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I asked Ben about the ECO-2 for the 4.0L and 3.4L V6s, but he did not have any with him. He did have an ECO-3 with him. The ECO-3 is for the V8 size engines like those in the Tundra, Silverado, F-150, etc... In the picture below he shows the size difference between the ECO-2 and the ECO-3. Ben did not have any of the ECO-2 because he had gone to Red McComb's dealership before stopping at my office, and they took all 40 that he had with him. Apparently these are hot sellers in San Antonio.

[​IMG]

19. Aug 31, 2007 at 4:35 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    BTW - maverick491, Ben told me that your analogy of the log on the fire versus the saw dust on the fire was perfect.

My understanding is that the VPE (Vapor Pressure Enhancer) works in two ways. The copper coils act as a catalyst to help lower the Vapor Pressure and the agitation of the fuel also helps lower the Vapor Pressure. In layman's terms, Vapor Pressure is the pressure at which the liquid fuel becomes a gas - thus making it easier to burn. Wikipedia - Vapor Pressure

20. Aug 31, 2007 at 8:30 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the pics 007, i'll be watching this thread with great intrest. this combined with a MAF should increase gas milage a good bit if both work the way they claim to.

Products Discussed in

To Top