1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Better gas = more power, wtf?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Leadgolem, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You're only about 3 years too late to the party :laugh:

2. Aug 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    Late to the party here, but I have had the same experience. My Toyota mechanic buddy told me that the ECU uses the knock sensor to adjuct ignition timing. Based on those readings, it "learns" what the optimum settings are. From time to time, it rechecks and adjusts. This will affect your output.

EDIT: Pugga, you beat me to it!

3. Aug 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    kn38ms

kn38ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW, FL
    Keep in mind the shitty corn fuel you guys burn is very inconsistent from fill up to fill up.

4. Aug 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    Smardt Turbocor

Smardt Turbocor Older Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    Lexington South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 1/2 cab 4.6 Liter V-6 5 speed manual
    ==========

It is true that ethanol is not as good as pure gas , but your comment Is ridiculous.

5. Aug 4, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It is completely true.

Some suppliers (generally low cost chains and indies) blend the ethanol in-tank rather than at the depot. This can result in a very inconsistent mixture that may go further and further off with time, or may improve with time, but the net result is inconsistency.

Also, stations that are fairly low volume have their fuel in the tanks for a longer time, which increases the amount of water the fuel picks up from the atmosphere.

6. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    Smardt Turbocor

Smardt Turbocor Older Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    Lexington South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 1/2 cab 4.6 Liter V-6 5 speed manual
    ============

My experience is that ethanol is VERY bad in motorcycles, and other small engines. You can see the corrosion in just the fuel tank lid on a motorcycle.

For that reason I use pure gasoline in bikes, lawn mowers, etc, and only use ethanol in a car every other fill up which roughly keeps the percentage down to > 5%.

It is wiser not to use fuel with ethanol AT ALL in older vehicles because it can destroy older hose connections submerged in an older gas tank. (This happened to an older 1987 Chevy Astro I had. Hose fell apart)

I'll try and run pure gasoline in a car that is not driven as much, and parked a lot, but I'll fill up with it if I'm covering over 100 miles and then fill up going home with pure gasoline.

Products Discussed in

To Top