1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Between buying 3rd Gen SR/SR5 and modding vs TRD Offroad and keeping stock

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by crclardy11, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:44 AM
    crclardy11

crclardy11 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Vehicle:
    2018 blazing blue TRD OR Tacoma
    Thank you all for all the information and the input. I apprecaite it. Looks like you guys are steering me into my original direction, which is saving a little longer so I can afford a Manual TRD Off Road. I feel like I would hate the automatic transmission especially if the Automatic Transmission jumps all over the place like that. Much prefer to control what gear the truck is in than letting it hop all over the place. Seems the automatic has some cool features for offroading that the Manual doesn't, but as cool as they sound, I feel like I would prefer to do the work myself and not just let the computer do it all for me.

Hope to be back here sometime in 2018 to show off my very own Tacoma! Until then, I'll be stalking the forum. Thanks again everyone!

Simon's Mom and beers@1600 like this.
  2. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:50 AM
    Gamebreaker81

Gamebreaker81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr DCSB 4x4 v6
    Sr 4x4 here... 29g wasn't a bad price. Does everything i need it to

phsycle likes this.
  3. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    I have a 2nd gen, which I bought used. IMHO the only reason to buy a TRD is the locker and therefore the only TRD to buy is an OR. I bought the TRD OR because at the time it was available. I wanted a stick shift, Access Cab with 100K or less, not super easy to find used in Colorado.

Honestly, if I was looking now to replace it I'd go back to a lower spec. The truck this replaced was a more basic model, back in 1991 they called it a DLX, which is roughly what a SR is now. At the time DLX added things like power steering and a 60/40 split bench seat. Things were simpler back then, trucks were really basic.

Then as is now my trucks end up modified a lot. My TRD OR might as well be an SR5 and I could have saved money in theory by going with a lower spec and just adding an Air Locker. Otherwise the only other thing left that makes it a TRD is the 120V inverter, which I couldn't give less of a shit about.

phsycle and Simon's Mom like this.
  4. Dec 18, 2017 at 6:25 AM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    TRD OR with the Premium & Tech package.

I love my auto headlights, auto climate control, and heated seats.

Hate the sunroof, but it's part of the package so I deal with it.

5. Dec 18, 2017 at 7:07 AM
    TREspalding

TREspalding Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wanted the manual and got the auto (because fancy crawl control and multi-terrain select) and only hate the auto on interstate driving.

6. Dec 18, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    synaps3

synaps3 Wag more bark less

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Los Alamos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4 DCLB
    SOS armor, ARE MX walk-in, Fox coils, Dakar leafs, etc
    I bought an SR5, and originally was going to get an SR. I could have afforded a TRD PRO if I wanted, but nothing past SR5 seemed worth it to me.

The SR5 vs SR is a bit of a toss-up. I was not going to buy without keyless entry or a tow package, both of which are standard on SR5 (the latter is a required dealer add on for every SR5 in the SE). I ended up going with a SR5 because I wanted a DCLB anyways; the SR does not come in DCLB.

You can add ARB air lockers, front and rear to a SR5, for about what the cost delta is for the jump from SR5 to TRD OR. You really don't need crawl control with lockers, and a front and rear locked Taco will outperform a TRD. As for other features, the sunroof, sound tech, and suspension I'm replacing anyways doesn't make sense to pay extra for. My wife did make me add heated seats to my SR5 though. :rofl:

There is the downside that you do have to pay cash to later add those lockers. That's a problem for some people. If you're financing and won't have the cash to add lockers later and think you need them, it may make more sense to just start with the TRD to get that rear locker. They do make a difference offroads.

7. Dec 18, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    Don't really need a front locker with MTS, plus a locker in a IFS will be very hard on the diff. and axles and lead to broken parts.

synaps3[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 18, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    DaveInDenver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    Unexceptional
    I found the opposite, fewer broken axles with a front locker. There's an advantage that the torque is never concentrated on one wheel but mostly it's that you stay in control. Bouncing is what breaks stuff and if you can keep wheels on dirt you're better off.

synaps3 likes this.
  9. Dec 18, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    phsycle

phsycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    I've got a TRD OR w PP. It was a toss up between this and an SR. The TRD w PP is very nice. As one guy mentioned, auto headlamp, rear sensors, sunroof, and my wife's fav--heated seats and dual climate control. Crawl control, rear locker, multi-terrain--all very nice as well. But if I am honest with myself, I will never use those off-road gizmo's and could do without the lux amenities. So while I love the truck, if I were to do it again, I would just save some cash and get an SR (or SR5). But I wouldn't even mod it, really. Just get some good tires, maybe a shell, and call it good.

10. Dec 18, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    tallpilot

tallpilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4X4 DC SB AT Silver
    Mobtown sliders, RCI skids, Bilstein 6112/5160/Dakar, DuroBumps
    Exactly. Suspension components are mostly plug and play now. A few bolts and you can have 6112s and 5160s but spend some time getting your money's worth out of the stock off-road suspension first. Installing a compressor and a locker on a diff that doesn't have the same gear ratio as the off-road is expensive.

11. Dec 18, 2017 at 9:09 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    They make the ARB air lockers for both the 3.73 ratio and for higher ratio's front and rear.

DesertTaco4x4 likes this.
  12. Dec 18, 2017 at 9:12 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Take a look at the bottom of this list. What you say about being more expensive, what do you mean because I don't quite follow.

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/toyotaTacoma.pdf

13. Dec 18, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    DaveInDenver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    Unexceptional
    There is no limit to ratios with Air Lockers. You can replace your stock open, limited slip or locked diff with an Air Locker and either reuse your gears or install new gears of the same or different ratios. It's not always best to reuse gears since they set to each other and to the carrier, but it's not strictly impossible either.

The front and rear Air Lockers aren't the same part but you can do them independently, just add a front to existing factory electric locker. Do just a rear if you don't have anything.

What many people do is change ratios at the same time to adjust for larger tires, but it's not a requirement. Some people with TRD ORs just have the stock front diff replaced with an Air Locker to complement their existing rear locker, not changing anything else.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top