1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beware changing LSD lube!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Airun, May 17, 2010.

1. May 24, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I might just try the Redline 75W-90 GL-5 all synthetic in my rear diff next time around just for grins.:rolleyes: People have been writing good things on it so I will have to just try it for myself.:cool: Then if it starts to make weird noises, I'll just go back to regular gear oil.;)

2. May 24, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge

You know i was going to try some synthetic too, but making noises means wearing the clutch packs out faster. SO I do not want to shorten the life of LSD, I've heard they don't last that long already.

3. May 24, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I totally agree with you but like everyone else, I want to see if there is a synthetic out there that will work. I originally bought 6 quarts of Redline all-synthetic to swap out the rear diff, front diff and transfer case but after reading a few threads, I decided to use some Valvoline 80W-90 gear oil with some Redline friction modifier instead but just for the rear diff. I used the Redline for the front diff and transfer case the other day. Which leaves me with 3 quarts of the Redline. I might just use that my next time around. But that wont be for a while cause I'm not sure what the maint. book says to swap it out again in another 15K or 30K. If its another 30K, I wont be swapping it out for another 3-4 years!!!:eek: I most likely wont wait that long though.:eek:

4. May 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Called my local dealership to get some answers about what they use for additives - they are so pathetic over there. The parts guy had no frigin clue and thought they used the standard oils and it already had the friction modifier in it. He couldn't tell me anything and never made an effort to put me on-hold to ask a tech. Thanks (for nothing) GOODBYE!
    BTW - that was Lancaster (PA) Toyota truck center.

So, I call New Holland Auto Group (New Holland, PA) -same place I bought my truck and had TSB done, etc. They use 75w-90 synthetic oil and Ford XL3 friction modifier.

So, I guess I'm gonna tread into unknown territory and visit the Ford dealer.

We'll see.... crossing fingers.

5. May 24, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I hear you but I have tons of things to tow this year and I can tell that using regular oil in our diffs is not very good. For some reason they heat up a lot. Most likely due to being little too small for that size of truck. :rolleyes: one way to combat that, is to fill them with oil to the brink to make contact surface bigger, other,and best, would be to get synthetic in there.
    So not having synthetic in there, is bad for everything - R&P, bearings, seals etc.
    having synthetic makes LSD chatter :confused: its loose -loose unless we get synthethic that works in that diff. Until then slow driving slow acceleration. Towing with often pause to keep diff cooled.
    If that does not work I am thinking about installing oil cooler. to keep temp below 200 F
    P.S. Wife thinks I am crazy cause I want truck to outlive me :rolleyes:

6. May 24, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    XL-3 ? are you sure about that, not XL-7 (the one for synthethic?)?

7. May 24, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I did a google search on my Detroit Truetrac and starting reading some of the Titan and Tundra forums (they come up first). What I found was that Eaton reccommends using Dino oil. It has something to do with the heat dispertion properties of synthetic and the differential not having an oil cooler.

8. May 24, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey Jan I dont know if you use ebay but you can get that Ford friction modifier off here:
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...d+friction+modifier&_sacat=See-All-Categories

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. May 24, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    If anything, I would suggest an Extra Capacity Diff Cover. 4wheelparts.com has quite a few, not sure on which one exactly fits the taco. Gota be a couple choices to add an extra .5 -1 quart of fluid

I can't use one with my full size spare 285/70/17 that barely clears the stock diff cover.

10. May 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Just throwing it out there..for OP that might have an older truck with higher miles that has been wheeled and had chatter at some point and now claim they run synthetics no prob. Are you sure that your LSD even works like it should?

11. May 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    JasonJump

JasonJump Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 D Cab Debadged
    Billy 5100's set at 2.5, iPhone innerface, TRD Sport wheels powdercoated Anthracite grey wrapped in 265/70/17 Duratracs, Custom Sliders
    Some people are getting grinding or chattering with royal purple.... not a big deal I guess

12. May 24, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's what the guy said on the phone at the dealership.

13. May 24, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I don't think those are an option for our rear diffs because the housing is all one piece.

14. May 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    Hey Jan, If you can wait another day, I just bought the LSD additive from the dealer a week or so ago. I'll get ya the part number. Its sitting in my garage though, and im sadly sitting at my desk. 10$ i think

15. May 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    NO DEAL!! KROOKZ I have Royal Purple in the diff for now over 3000 miles and I have chatter, studdering, grinding what ever you want to call it I have it, pulling out of a parking spot and in reverse :rolleyes:.

I have Royal Purple and YES it is a big deal to me because I spent $$$ on it.
    NOTE: I called Royal Purple and spoke to Chris Barker and he recommended the figure 8 as well, I will try this during my lunch hour:rolleyes: and will post my findings. Chris Barker wanted to know as well so I will e-mail him and let you guys know what he recommends!!:cool::)
    I will be sending him a link of Tacomaworld as well ;).

16. May 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    ha ha the only thing that makes me feel better is that others (as car owners with other manufacturer cars have the same freaking problem)

Frame produced by Dana - rust issue
    LSD produced by EATON or whoever - guess game to find oil that does not make axle grind like crazy :facepalm:
    That makes Chinese products look like they were made by Maybach :rolleyes:

17. May 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the offer! I did stop by the Ford dealership today and bought some.

BlueT - I asked the parts guy (at Ford) about the XL7. He said its been discontinued and they only use XL3 now.

Danny (WW Firefighter), Thanks for the link. I couldn't see ebay at work (they blocked it). I paid $6.61 for a tube at the Ford dealer. Figured I'd just get it and have it. Now I just gotta dive in and change the oil. This thread makes things intimidating to say the least. Praying to the LSD gods.

18. May 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah no problem. Thought I would try and help you out a little.;) So what oil are you going to end up using anyways?:confused:

19. May 24, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Got it so I will try xl3 if GM with Delvac does not work.:thumbsup:

20. May 24, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I bought Mobile 1 75w-90 LS because that's all they had at the auto store. Which seems kinda weird, they didn't have the non-LS variety. This LS stuff is new to me and I couldn't find any information about the non-LS that I used to buy at the auto stores years ago. It's kinda like they kept the same product in the jugs and put an LS on the label. ???

I have 3 quarts of that and a 4oz bottle of the XL3.

Products Discussed in

To Top