1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BF Goodrich Mud-Terrains

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 05TacomaPreRunner, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Apr 24, 2008 at 11:53 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    ... well, i quoted ya on it!:D lol. well, you're right, they do. i've had good luck with my cooper discoverer ST's and i have a set of the 255/75/17 BFG muds waiting to go on in the coming fall. the Procomp Xtreme Mud terrains have been a really well rated tire for all around use and are super aggressive looking.

2. Apr 25, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's

I don't think any tire is going to be good on ice.(unless you studd them) :thumbsup: Like I said I had zero problems with my BFG all-terrains and I had driven them in all types of crap. Before I got my BFG's I had Bridgestone Dueler A/T's and they where also some really good tires, I put roughly 80k miles on them aswell.

3. Apr 25, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    no_werries

no_werries Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
    Of course no tire is good on ice, nothing works well on ice except skates, but the geolanders is a softer compound, kinda like a winter tire would be, I have a friend with a ranger fx4 level 2 that came with the KO's and even with that light little truck he starts to spin on the first bit of ice, those geolanders had nice grab, but if I had worries that due to the soft rubber compound they wouldnt last as long as the KO's which are rock hard. Although I would say the KO's are much better in mud, sand, deep snow, etc, because they have a much deeper tread, and greater distance between lugs.

Heres a couple good pics of both tires

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/mtavh6.xl.jpg BFGOODS KO's

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/yokra4.xl.jpg Yokohomas

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/nitrh7.xl.jpg Nito Dune Graplers

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/gdyraf.xl.jpg Wranglers New Silent Armour

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/brirl2.xl.jpg BridgeStone Duelers

4. Apr 25, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    fwiw...i have Mastercraft Courser M/Ts...and ive got roughly 30K on them and theres still a TON of tread life left...really look barely worn...

and for 265/75/16 i paid $600 mounted and balanced...they do quite well offroad...pretty quiet onroad (a LOT quieter than the BFG MTs that my dad runs on his silverado) and i dont really have a lot of traction issues in the rain...

as for ice...well...i see ice about once every 2 or 3 years...and i havent had the tires long enough to see it yet

I used to run Trxus M/Ts and i had them last time we had snow/ice and they worked pretty well...only issue i had with them was them wearing out and staying in balance...

5. Nov 8, 2008 at 4:01 AM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    i had an fx4 L2 as well and I also ran the geolanders on my 4runner. both exceptional tires. Ran the geolanders for about 25K miles and the BFGs for about 30K- got rid of the cars before i could wear them out.

I think the BFGs wore faster....but they were both really good in the snow. I think i would give the edge to the geolanders though...different vehicles and i could lock the difs on the 4 runner so that might have played a part as well. never took the 4runnner offroading so i cant compare that. the bfgs did exceptional on the muddy jobsites though. if i had the money i would pick the bfgs over the geolanders just because they look cooler and i think they would do better offroad because of the large blocks.

6. Nov 8, 2008 at 5:02 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I have to agree with the folks who say BFG AT's aren't good on the road. Remember the "All Terrains" that came standard equipment on the brand new 01-04s? Mine were flat dangerous in heavy rain! You know on the freeway where there's tha occasional 'sheet' of streaming water flowing across the road in heavy rain-with the ATs the whole truck became buoyant! As compared to the Michelin LTXs I have now that slice right through stuff like that and keep firmly planted. Yet I'm sure the TAs are great offroad:eek: but where do ya spend most of your time? Oh and BFGs wear out fast too!

7. Nov 8, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    Never had a problem with the BFG AT in wet. These stock Duellers suck ass though. I had the LTXs on my tahoe and they were a great tire. Expensive and not the best in snow....but then again they were on a 5500 lb suv so I guess I can't complain too much :) The ltxs did get me stuck in mud once :( Im not gonna attribute it to the large weight factor or driver error though ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top