1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG KM2 vs. GoodYear MT/R Kevlar

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TRDguyKC, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Oct 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    Taco Ron

Taco Ron Male Member

Member:
    BFGs hands down! They grip mud and rocks like mad. They do hum on the road, but its what you expect when you get a mud tire.

2. Oct 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    I.......WANT......... :drool:

3. Oct 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    I ran the old MT/Rs and loved them, very good street manners and good in the mud and rocks making them perfect for the northeast. I recently attended the offroad expo in SoCal and spoke with GY and asked why for the redesign. I stated "to me it looks like having less space between lugs on the new tire would cause it to be lousy in the mud". He stated that "the MT/R was redesigned in a different dirrection and not as a mud tire but more for rock crawling and baja conditions. The Kevlar was added to reinforce the sidewall by 50% for harsh rocky conditions" IMHO the KM2s are deffinatly a mud tire that is good at everything however i saw some on a jeep and they were chunked to helllll!!!!from the terrain out here(desert/rocks) I wanted KM2s but its really rocky here and they look like they dont resist chunking too good. Being a mud terrain they have much softer rubber. soft rubber is good on rocks but they are toooo soft. So... go buy a set of KM2s for mud and when you go out crawling get a set of MT/Rs.

4. Oct 31, 2009 at 11:04 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    We are all people who love our tacomas...lets try to get along...

Back to topic...I think if you do alot of desert offroading the MT/R would be a good choice. the concenrtration of lugs on the MT/R gives really good directional stability especially in sand however, the same lugs causes issues in mud. The MT/Rs wear like no other tire and resist cupping so they are extremely streetable with low wear and low noise. The KM2s are also AWESOME tires designed for mud but do excellent in rocky conditions the reason they are so good on rocks is the softness, chunking is an issue on the KM2s but not on smooth rocks. The softness (way softer than MT/Rs) make them wear faster. Even though they wear faster they still wear very well from what i have been told. They both have great benefits and i believe they are worthy to be compared. This is my 2cents but its really hard to vote for one or the other without knowing what they are going to be used for. Good luck in the decision making :duel:

PS. I have used both original KMs and original MT/Rs both really good tires. I still have the KMs on my 79 K25 monster truck.

5. Oct 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    If you read his next post is Nevermind, NITTO GRAPPS are sick

6. Nov 1, 2009 at 1:05 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

:p

Lack of whitewall draws me away from the Nittos. The tread patterns are awesome though. Dinosaur tires!!! :D

7. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i'd buy the Goodyears if those were the only 2 options i had

ive done my time with BFG...and they wont ever be on my truck again

BFG's ride GREAT (ive never had the KM2s but ive had the original MT) for the first 10K miles...but after that...CRAP...i wanted to replace my spine/teeth/jaw/suspension etc

i took them off the truck before they even got close to being worn out just to get rid of the AWFUL vibrations

i'm not keen on buying the Goodyears either...

but then again i had a set of Mastercraft MTs that outperformed the BFGs in every way just about

8. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This is what I have found to be true with the BFG's as well....Seems all of their tires are fine for a few thousand miles, then they turn to shit.

9. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I'll never own a set of of Nittos again! EVER!!! As alot of you may have read in previous threads i've commented on, I'm running Terra Crapplers right now in a 265/75/16. They've got 28k on em and there frickin slicks!!! Very disappointed and surprised with the quality for sure especially since many of you have had better luck with em :(

10. Nov 1, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I gotta admit, the issue you, Oakley, and Johnecon had with the nittos is unacceptable. Dont blame you guys for not endorsing them at all....ESPECIALLY as Nitto hasnt responded to your E-mail....Kinda shitty. :(

11. Nov 1, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I know right :frusty:

12. Nov 1, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Taco Ron

Taco Ron Male Member

Member:
    You guys who had issues with the BFGs: did you take them in to have them rebalanced? If they are still under warranty (mileage) you can take your claim to Michelin as a ride/handeling issue and they will likely replace them.

13. Nov 1, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I never did. I had (iirc) 5 sets of BFG's, and useually only kept them to 20K miles due to the ride being crap. Another little gripe I had, being as they have a 3 ply side wall, even when I aired down, when on sand, they wouldnt float like other tires would.

14. Nov 1, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    they would be balanced...and aligned...they just ride like crap after about 10K miles

15. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    also...my dad did this 3 times with his BFG muds (KM not KM2) and he finally gave up and made them buy him a different set of tires

his however came on his truck from the dealer and the dealer had to buy his new set...

every set he got at least 2 of them would be out of round or have some issue that cause the tire to not roll correctly

16. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    Taco Ron

Taco Ron Male Member

Member:
    KMs were not checked for uniformity (out of round conditions, radial, lateral forces), so I can see ride and handeling issues getting out, but they will replace tires if you are within the warranty period and report ride / handeling issues. Do all the issues you've seen come from the KMs? Any with ATs or others?

17. Nov 1, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    ive heard about them from ATs but the KMs are the only ones ive had experience with

im personally done with BFG...after 10K or so miles they just ride like crap but still fall within proper specs...ie they balance/align/etc and still rattle my teeth

18. Nov 1, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Great to see this thread moving along here. This Info you guys are posting is good stuff.

Krazie sj, not saying were amending anything, but to get back on topic I will answer your question. I Live in AZ and see mud occasionally, however most of my wheeling will be in desert conditions. I know you will say i should get the MT/R now, and i usnerstand your logic.

So lets be bigger men here and stop our bickering, both you and I. is that cool with you dude?

And im intrigued by the last few statements on the BFG experiences.

19. Nov 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

Yup, I can agree with that. As you said, I would then recommend the MT/R specially cause if you're in a hot climate that's going to make the soft rubber even more prone to chunking. Even more so if you mostly do rocks.

That being said, I love my BFG's A/Ts. They're new to me but they've been used before, and have over 10,000kms on them. No balancing issues when they got put on.

There's a chance too with the MT/Rs having the kevlar you could get a less ply tire, with less weight, but the same protection as a BFG tire with the extra plys. ( I don't know this for certain, but I'm hypothesising)

20. Nov 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    4X4_TRD

4X4_TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '03 Jeep RUBICON
    No front sway bar (does that count?)
    I'm actually running the MTR Kevlars on my '07 Tacoma. So far they've been a great all around tire. Really quiet on the highway for a tire with such an aggressive tread. Performs well for the type of wheeling I have done with them. Also, according to 4 Wheel & Off-Road they performed really well on all the vehicles that participated in this years Ultimate Adventure and they're planning on doing a long term evaluation of the tire. Only bad thing is that depending on tire size, they only offer white lettering if you're not into that.

Products Discussed in

To Top