1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG KM2 vs. GoodYear MT/R Kevlar

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by TRDguyKC, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Nov 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    The new nittos don't look that cool in person.

2. Nov 1, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Good deal.

Yea i currently have the KM's and i personally havn't had any issue with balancing either and i have had em on for nearly 35k miles. And with the heat out here It may be wise for me to go with a tire that has a harder compound being as though i will be driving MOST miles on road.

Im not sure how many ply's the new MT/R has either with the kevlar and all. Ill have to check that out.

3. Nov 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    THIS is one of the few reasons why i am questioning this tire. Dont get mr wrong, I will get a tire that performs over a tire that is just visually appealing, but im not sure if i want white walls out. And being that the MT/R is asymmetrical, on any tire size smaller than 35 you have to ride with OWL.

4. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Not to mention if you get a set of 5 you're kinda screwed cause if you get a flat on the opposite side that the spare is mounted...

One of the few reasons I'm reluctant to run a directional tread tire.

5. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    True.

I'm just a cheap bastard like that.

6. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Its not entirely directional though, From what i understand, its just assymetrical meaning that it can be mounted on ANY corner so long as the inside of the tire is toward the inside of the rim. It can rotate any way.

Thats how i understand it anyway. some jeep dudes posted a threat about it. ill see if i can find it so i can explain it a little better.

ok, i found some info.

basically, how some put it, an asymmetrical tire has to be mounted on the rim correctly. Once its on the rim you can put it on any corner of the vehicle.

"Asymmetrics must be fitted the right way round on the wheel to benefit from the tread block arrangement – the sidewalls are always marked. "

"Directional tyres need to rotate in the correct direction – clearly marked on the sidewall of the tyre."

Apparently a tire can be symmetrical, asymmetrical, directional, or asymmetrical + directional.....

7. Nov 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    4X4_TRD

4X4_TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '03 Jeep RUBICON
    No front sway bar (does that count?)
    You are correct on that. I am able to swap tires side to side with no problems. The tread pattern on the Kevlar MTR's does look directional, but it's not. Just as long as the close together pattern of tread blocks are mounted towards the inside of the rim you're good.

8. Nov 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Any idea as to why that'd make a difference?

9. Nov 2, 2009 at 4:43 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i like the old KMs. nothing but good things to say about them. i've worn three sets down to bologna and am on my fourth set. i'm sad to see the KM2s replace the KMs. not saying the KM2s are bad or anything, but why couldn't they offer both designs? the KMs are a bit slippery on wet pavement or icy conditions, which is why i switch back to the rugged fails in the winter...they have done fairly well for me in the snow.

not a fan of goodyear tires. excellent grip...for about 20k miles, then you're shopping for new ones. the old MTR goodyears did not impress me at all in the mud. don't like the fact that the new ones are directional either. it looks like they are trying to make a hybrid mud/street tire...which has me thinking that they will do decent on either surface, but not be great for either.

outside lugs are what get you around offroad. a good tire will have a multi-stage lug on the outsides of the tire. look at the old KMs and KM2s there are at least four stages of outside lugs before the pattern repeats again. then look at the nittos...pattern repeats every two lugs. the more stages in the lugs, the better chance of getting a bite of whatever you are driving on. a Swamper TSL tire as another example..."Three Stage Lug". we all know how legendary they are offroad.

i've never really heard many complaints about BFGs until reading Chris & Tigerfan's posts. i've never had any of these issues and i've been running them since before there even was a KM version. i get nearly 50k out of each set with propper rotation, and have to date, never had a flat on street or trail.

10. Nov 2, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    Taco Ron

Taco Ron Male Member

Member:
    ^ I was suprised too. If anyone has issues, they should contact BFG customer service.

As far as the non repeating lug patterns, that is also done to reduce harmonics on the tires. It plays in to the sound the tire makes as it runs down the road. On the KMs, there is much less concern, but this plays a big part in tread design for passenger car tires.

11. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    Beef Taco00

Beef Taco00 Taco Surpreme

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ TRD Expedition
    3" Procomp lift kit (ES3000 front struts and ES9000 rear shocks, 3" lift coil springs front and rear) Custom machined 1" UHMW rear spacer lift (made by owner) No front sway bar Custom machined 1" front differential drop (made by owner) Skyjacker 3" lift extended rear sway bar end links Icon Vehicle Dynamics Tubular Upper Control Arms 1/2" Body lift Demello Evil Eye front bumper All-Pro Offroad rear bumper Ricochet Offroad Armor front lower control arm skids Ricochet Offroad Armor HD Skid Plate All-Pro Offroad E-Locker skid SBE rear shock skids/protectors Custom made limb risers 7" round mesh headlight guards ARB Safari Snorkel Outterwares Snorkel pre filter K&N drop in style air filter AFE Catback High-Tuck exhaust Full Scuba mod Midland 40ch CB radio Rear Locker LED gauge light swap done by Alex Emelianoff Daystar LED light switches
    Omg!!! Here's my review, I have about 8000 miles already on my km2s and I have to say they are the best tire I have ever owned in my life!! These will always beput onthe rest of my trucks I ever own! They are awesome and quiet on the street dry or wet, hardly any tire spin in the rain!! They hold a balance really well! Everything I've use to use 4wd to go through wit my all terrain 35s tha were bald I can go through in 2wd! Snow doesn't gum up in the tire nor mud! I was passing people at like 50mph in the snow and ice!! I get great grip on rocks! Sand grip is tough cuz they want to dig but once aired down and in 4wd no problems! So the best tire in the world on my opinion for someone who wants a great all round tire is the KM2!!!

12. Jan 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    08ruggedtrail

08ruggedtrail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    shannon
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    1991 v6 4x4
    lifted
    good. i am glad to hear that. think im going to get me a set. i have the km in 265 75 16 and have 52000 miles on them and maybe 6,000 left if i am lucky . i love these tires.

:D

13. Jan 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    AriZonaD54

AriZonaD54 BANNED in 49 states...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Valley of the Sun
    Forget both of those and go with Toyo MT or Nitto Trail Grappler MT.

I have the Trail Grapplers and I <3 them!

See;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jan 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    Kenny650

Kenny650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^ Jesus, those look meaty as fuck.

15. Apr 28, 2010 at 12:31 AM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
    what size do you run. im thinking about 255/85r16

16. Apr 28, 2010 at 2:39 AM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    hey hey now, im runnin white on the outside and i like it..... then again my truck is white.

17. Apr 28, 2010 at 3:01 AM
    TRDguyKC

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    theyve been on the out for a while dude! apparently you dont follow it THAT much! lol. here it is as it sits today. you will still like it i hope

P4032468_d4265611275af642e0ef5fa1773b6fb2468e802c.jpg

18. Apr 28, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

Dude white out is the only way to go. Your truck looks amazing brother!

19. Apr 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Well I vote for KM2, but one of mine was popped the other week on a rock on the sidewall
    IMG_0336_34649968763169f39217b0d815186443b823a88e.jpg
    IMG_0337_36ed9de634706659f6b926bcbdaa541921e02a2f.jpg

20. Apr 28, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Hunter423

Hunter423 Hunter423

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD off road
    brush guard, piaa foggs, tinted tail light, tinted windows, rain guards, pure white with blue tinted bulbd all over, white bulbs for licencess plate lighting, blacked out head lights
    go with the good year kevlar mtr's i got some 33"s i love em

heres a pic of them on my truck and when ups first droped them off

i love them they are sick and gotn a ton of compliments on them i used them up at uwharrie and some old loggn trials around here they got thru mud pits like its pavement and hill climbs like nothing

ps. kevlars on the left old nittos on the right

017.jpg
    004.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top