1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG TA KO or GoodYear Wranger Duratrac

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Krazie Sj, Aug 25, 2009.

?

Which tire?

1. BFG TA KO

45.9%
  2. Good Year Wrangler Duratrac

40.5%
  3. Other:Specify

6.7%
  4. By voting for this option I certify that I'm 100% douchebag blueberry surpise

11.8%
  1. Oct 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    b0ules

b0ules Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XL Topper OME 885X/Nitrocharger Sport Front Dakar Leafs/Nitrocharger Sport Rear
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. Oct 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Yes they are siped already but not very far into the tread. Looks like they would be gone after the tire wore down a little bit. I normally wouldn't care but I'll be using it mostly in the winter and siping helps a lot on ice.

3. Oct 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    rmbyrum

rmbyrum tacomitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    CB radio, ARB bull bar, OME heavy lift, ArmourTech rear bumper, Rigid Dually LED & IPF lighting, 285/75/16s.
    This may have been said a bunch already, but my vote is for Toyo Open Country A/T II's.

Main reason is if your Tacoma has the IFS, the outer studs/lugs on the BFGs will tend to twist due to the Toyota (or any) IFS. This causes the outside of the BFGs to wear a lot faster. Each outer stud on the Toyos is linked by a "tie bar" to the other studs next to it, keeping the wear consistent across the tire.

BFG's are a great tire and they've been around for 40-some years, but they haven't changed with truck technology. I've had great experience with them on a '96 Jeep Cherokee, but that had a solid Dana 30/44. BFGs just aren't the best option for trucks with IFS.

The BFGs were originally designed to drive on sand, and in my experience do fine in snow and mud. They are made with an oil-based rubber so the Toyos are allegedly better, but haven't experienced that first-hand yet. BFGs are good tires, I would just worry about the tire wear.

4. Oct 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Aren't all tires petroleum based...?

5. Dec 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Me thought so....hmmm...:notsure::der:

6. Dec 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    My two cents so far are. I ran 265 BFGs for about a year with no problems then I went with a 285 Duratrac. Last week I went offroading in some mud and got stuck. Got pulled out and drove home noticing my pressure was low on the front tire. Woke up the next morning and it was flat. Took it in and I somehow punctured the sidewall. Luckily, I got America's Tires Warranty so free tire for me! Not sure if that helps ease people's fear with the sidewall issue but it can happen to any tire! Looking forward to trying the duratracs out in the snow though!

7. Dec 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    both tires are awesome been around both quite a bit, the duratrac's are a louder tire but I think the duratrac's have a little more traction not much tho

8. Dec 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    I think some are silica based..? http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-A-T3.aspx

I am getting new tires today..replacing the BFG AT KO on there now. I got 75,000 miles out of those BFG's. And they were the 6th set I've had (3 work truck, 3 personal truck). Never had any problems with them and they always took me where I wanted, when I wanted.

That being said, I wanted a change. so on my last work truck I went for a set of Duratracs. The Duratracs looked a performed great...for the whole 2 months I had them..got a new work truck. So I didn't get a chance to really put the Duratracs through the paces and see how long they would last.

9. Apr 19, 2016 at 7:08 PM
    Dirtbag27

Dirtbag27 New Member

Member:
    Imperial Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 05 DCSB
    DCSB Taco
    Love the look of those Black rims w/Good YEAR TIRES

10. Apr 4, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    Teal_6

Teal_6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR 5spd
    Wow definitely not gonna read through all the pages. but I've had my Duratracs on for about 6 years and have put about 40k on them and drive up to the mountains for skiing all the time. Discount tire says i can run at least another year on them and they still show siping on them. Looks like this post solidifys me getting a new set of duratracs after these. haha

11. Sep 15, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    gmanrider9

gmanrider9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Blue Toyota Tacoma TRD DBC
    3" Toytec Lift, Rigid Industries Grill, 10" SR2 Light Bar, Auxbeam Front Spot Rear Flood, All Pro Bumpers, Projector Retrofit Lights, 33" Tires, Smittybuilt Winch, Raised K&N Air Intake
    Thread Resuscitation. Only have about 30K On my Duratrac's and they are just about toast. Sliced my sidewall twice running at 20 PSI offroading in snow and had to replace them both. Surprisingly a 285 75 R16 BFG is cheaper than a new Duratrac tire. Probably going to go with BFG's.

12. Sep 16, 2019 at 5:24 AM
    RangerComa

RangerComa 58008

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Marin, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB
    list is growing fast
    Wow.... that’s some thread CPR!

Good choice. The BFG’s are very tough tires and will not slice or puncture like the duratracs.

gmanrider9[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top