1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

B'ham Cops - Nat'l News

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mws4ua, May 21, 2009.

1. May 21, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua [OP] I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Here's what I don't understand: There's not a cop on the planet that doesn't know that these ass-hats get off for crimes and even get money from suing when they (the cops) do something stupid like beat a suspect as he's (finally) giving up... or in this case, sleeping in the gutter. They also all know that there are cameras everywhere, even in their own patrol cars.

Why is it that we continue to see bone-head moves from cops who could just as easily follow policy and lock that sum-bitch up for assault with a deadly weapon (among other things)?

I understand why the cops wanted to beat him down, and I'm pretty sure I'd want to do it, too. But just like the criminal should have known the consequences of his actions would lead him to jail, the cops should have known that the consequences of theirs could put them out of a job.

2. May 21, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    To Err on the side of Safety...

That was a totally bad decision for the cop to run out there in the middle of traffic on a 3 lane highway and try to get ONE vehicle to run over the spike strip. What about that black car -what if he didn't see the cop? He could've hit the cop or hit the spike strip. C'mon....Officers. Let the guy run. Force him into an area where there's no traffic and less chances of hurting someone.

A Criminal is a criminal. The fact that he aimed for hitting the cop doesn't surprise me. What else would you expect from a criminal? That's like having a criminal with a gun and assuming he won't use it.

The beating wasn't right either....Police are supposed to be superior representatives of the law (and moral judgement). How do you explain to someone that 'beating' is illegal if you see the cops doing it?

Let the law take care of things - or whatever.

3. May 21, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua [OP] I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I was going to ask a question about that. I've seen spike-strips used before on TV and reality shows. (Fortunately I've never been in a situation where one's been used around me in real life.) I've never seen a cop so exposed while laying one down before.

To our brothers/sister in law enforcment: Is that how it should be done? If he did do it wrong, what should he have done?

I OBVIOUSLY don't put the blame for his injury on him... it was clearly the driver's fault... but it was just something that struck me about the video.

4. May 21, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Newb

Member:
    La Quinta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR 4x4 Manual
    8112, SPC, Elka 2.0 rear and Icon AAL. About 1.5”
    Fair, used in your last sentence. These people you are talking about are pieces of crap. How many people did they danger on that freeway. Kids, women. I think its fair he got whomped on. He deserved what he got from a cop or from a civilian. I dont care this scumf*ck got a couple punches. Ill look the other way while they do it. Unconscious or not.

Things like this dont happen to good people.

5. May 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    He should have been infront of the squad car. I would think.

6. May 21, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    That's what it looks like to me...:rolleyes:

7. May 21, 2009 at 10:18 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...

yeah, but the fucktard didnt know he was beaten until after he saw the tape...u beat someone ass like that when they're awake and can actually learn from it. thats like drug enducing someone into a coma right before they go to prison for 30 years, then waking them up on the day they get out...

8. May 21, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    Rangerpeterson

Rangerpeterson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Screw that scum bag. He was lucky they stopped when they did. Try and run one of my buddies over and see what happens. If I were the cop I would have taken a second longer to stop my cruiser and turned him into a skid mark..... whoops the grass was slippery..... didnt mean to run his dumb ass over...

9. May 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    When an officers life comes into jeopardy due to the careless act of a criminal evading arrest, it is easy to see how emotions drove these officers over the line. However, there is no acceptable reason to beat an unconscious man who has been ejected from a vehicle and is defenseless. At the least this is a cowardly act, and will only fuel more hatred to be directed toward law enforcement.

With that said, I do not have the least amount of sympathy for this man. If you are going to break the law, put the lives of civilians and officers if danger, you get to pay the price. In this case it was 20 years in prison, a hit with the billy club, and a few good sucker punches.

10. May 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    As bad as this guy deserves it and as bad as the cops want to give it to him. They have got to get some restraint so he doesnt have a case against the cops and then have some sheriffs take it to him in jail.

11. May 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    What if someone who is a good person does something to endanger your life?? Does that give you license to attack them even after you are out of danger??

(Fair was not used in reference to this guy...This guy is a douche bag and would have gotten what is coming to him, even without the beating)

Things like this don't happen to good people because we have law against it and police to uphold them...Not make decisions about who deserves what.

The saying goes "Give an inch, Lose a mile." You think it's not possible- but I've seen videos of people catching a beating from a cop for nothing. If even one of those beatings is condoned (even if it person is a scumbag)...You are eroding your own civil liberties and allowing police to do as they please.

In this case I'm going with 99% chance they can't use proper police/procedure to explain why they did that. There is NO reason that cop needed to charge into contact with that guy and fall down as he took that baton swipe.

Using a baton (I have), you get trained to give verbal commands and strikes at the same time something to the effect of "GET BACK!!!!!!!" or "GET DOWN!!!!!" (!!!! for emphasis- Should be delivered ina LOUD clear voice). Once the person complies- You stop the strikes and wait for a) them to move again or b) back up. What commands was that cop going to give "GET UNCONSCIOUS"

That beating was nothing but vigilante justice with badges...and that is a step down a road that is a bad trip.

12. May 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona

Well put sir...I agree

13. May 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Newb

Member:
    La Quinta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR 4x4 Manual
    Ill try to put a hypothetical behind the question your asking me. Lets say one of my neighbors sets off fireworks that lands on my house. It catches my house on fire. My wifes in the house and she gets burned but lives. Lets even say my neighbor is a good guy....

Im going to kick his ass, period.

14. May 21, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That would make you a vigilante. And most likely...You'll go to jail. These cops haven't gone to jail-yet.
    But losing their jobs is a good start-They are paid to deal with folks who think like you do- Think that its okay to take "justice" into your own hands. These jokers obviously can't handle that.

15. May 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Newb

Member:
    La Quinta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR 4x4 Manual
    Batman is a vigilante too isnt he? ;)

16. May 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Batman doesn't beat people up unless they try to fight him. He usually just Bat-ropes them to something.

And so is Spider-Man...Ever read the Venom editions??

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it"
    ~William Pitt, British Prime Minister.

17. May 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You're a citizen. You can do whatever you want and pay the price for it.
    Go ahead - kick his ass.

Police are 'on-duty' and getting paid. They have a mission statement to abide by.... and a job to do. Im pretty certain - beating people is not part of their job discription.

18. May 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Newb

Member:
    La Quinta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR 4x4 Manual
    Never read the Venom editions. All my knowledge of superheros is from the movies.

Remember the scene in The Dark Knight when the criminals are about to do a drug deal but get scared? I think criminals should have that in the back of their mind. If i mess with cops or their familys, rape women, molest kids that they will be in a world of shit.

I like the quote. I think unlimited power would be very effective to maintain order though.

19. May 21, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Exactly

To Serve and to Protect

Seems like they're serving their own egos and protecting nobody by beating on an unconscious guy.

20. May 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    GAH- DAMN IT!!

That serve and protect line is feel good, happy hand job BULLSHIT.

Gonzales vs Castle Rock- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_of_Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales (I know it's a Wiki but it read far easier than the actual case doctrine)

Police are little more than armed historians...There are several other related cases regarding domestic violence that upheld the same decision. It's also great case law to support the private ownership of firearms....:D

Products Discussed in

To Top