1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bhlm help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by whiteboy88, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jan 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    whiteboy88

whiteboy88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '05 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport
    2in spacer lift and aftermarket Pro Comp rear shocks, DTRL Mod, Foglight on anytime Mod, removed covers on horn..... to be continued
    Well I think it's about time to do the bhlm but I don't actually have the time to sand and paint and leave it sitting for a day or so seeing as how this is my daily driver. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or if anybody had any pictures of it done with the chrome look still there?

2. Jan 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
  3. Jan 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    no one that i know of sanded before doing this bhlm

4. Jan 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    whiteboy88

whiteboy88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2in spacer lift and aftermarket Pro Comp rear shocks, DTRL Mod, Foglight on anytime Mod, removed covers on horn..... to be continued
    How long did all that take? It looks good man. Well I didn't know if you had to sand or not I've just seen some posts about people sanding off the chrome

5. Jan 27, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    Nightstr

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    Thanks, The first two took me abot 2 hours, 3rd took me about 3hours because of taping and the ones I currently have took me about 5 because I tinted the running lights amber and taping. The ones I currently have I like the most.

6. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    Are you directing that question at me (since I'm the OP of the thread that nightstr linked to)?

If so, it took me somewhere around 4 hours, mainly because it was my first time taking headlights apart. Now that I have been thru it all and know what is involved, I could probably do it in less than 2 hours. For me it was really intimidating putting the lights in the oven and pulling the halves apart, as I was certain that I was going to frick something up majorly. But I didn't frick anything up. In retrospect, I laugh at myself for being so nervous...the process is actually pretty easy. You don't need to sand anything, IMO. I know some people did for their BHLM's but I really don't see the need, since the headlight bezels are sealed and protected from the elements and the painted parts probably wouldn't at much risk of peeling or chipping.

7. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    whiteboy88

whiteboy88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    See that's what I'm nervous about and why I've waited so long. How long did you keep the headlights in the oven and what did you preheat it to? Also how do you get the tinted look on the lens of the headlight and does anybody have a picture of that done?

8. Jan 27, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    Nightstr

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    if you do a lens tint you will loose light output... I wouldn't recommend that.

9. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    whiteboy88

whiteboy88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    good point... So what is the best temp to preheat to and what's the best time to put it in the oven?

10. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    200 degrees IIRC...........

11. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    Nightstr

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    I did mine at 310 for 10 min. I also started pealing from the parking light. If it doesn't peal easy I would put them in for another 5 min at the same temp and you should have a problem after that. Make sure you take ALL plastic pieces off.

12. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    I followed viet2000's bhlm to the letter and it turned out great. Just finished last night. As others have said, I used a seperate clean pair of headlights from a 2009 that I puchased. I did sand the chrome (600 grit) and took my time. No need to rush this project. Krylon fusion will bond without sanding, but again I wanted this done right and to last for a long, long time in one of the hottest climates on earth- AZ.

300 was the temp I used and you're going to still have to pry pretty good. Take your time and make every effort NOT to break any of the tabs on the lights when seperating.

Good luck and when you're done post some pics!

Azbackcountry

13. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    ^^ yes, follow viet2100's thread. Heat the oven at 300F and then turn it off before putting the lights in. The idea is to soften the butyl sealant so you can pull the halves apart, and the butyl cools relatively quickly, so you may need to stick the lights in the oven a couple of times before you get the lens completely separated. The hard part is getting the lens started to separate by using a wide, flathead screwdriver to pry. Once you get it separated enough to get some fingers in there, you can just use your fingers to pull it apart the rest of the way and it goes pretty easy after that. When the lens comes apart from the body, the butyl sealant is stretchy like bubble gum, so I found it helpful to cut it with a utility knife.

14. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    I can send you a set done already, and you send me your stockers plus cash.

Products Discussed in

To Top