1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BHLM, lids and front mud flaps done :)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HwyRogue, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Sep 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    HwyRogue

HwyRogue [OP] Resident Canuck

Member:
    Halifax, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport 4x4
    Arctic bull bar, hitch step, side bars (All by Avid Off Road!), BHLM, eye lids....
    Thoughts / Gripes / Opinions? :D

The BHLM was pretty straight forward once the lights were out...

For those looking for the dreaded 3rd headlight bolt:
    The dreaded 3rd bolt for the headlight! Use a 10mm wrench, give it a couple of turns and you can then use your fingers to take it out. The picture is looking up at it as I'm laying on the ground. I also took out the couple of screws that secure the plastic piece immediately in front of the tire (dunno what it's called), which allowed me to push it aside and have easier access to the third bolt.

[​IMG]

Once the headlights are out I put each in the oven at 300 deg F for 10 mins and they came apart with a little bit of elbow grease and a lot of patience.

I lightly sanded and because I wanted the chrome left for my DRL, taped off the light and put it back in place.

[​IMG]

I used Krylon plastic spray paint and put on 4 layers (more is always better!), waiting about 5 mins between coats. I also used q-tips to soak up pooling in the corners - they worked great.

I took out the light, removed the tape and put it back in.. turned out good!

[​IMG]

I put the reflectors back in and then baked for about 5 mins @ 300F; I also put a strip of clear silicone on the edge of the housing to try and make sure moisture stays out. After 5 mins, it easily went back together. After the re-assembly of the headlights, I let them cool down - once cool to the touch I put the lights back in.

The finished product:

[​IMG]

The eyelids turned out OK - they used the color code to mix up the paint and the left one has about 12 coats of silver on it (had to sand it down due to me wrecking part :mad: - needed the coats to even the surface out) and then used 2 coats of clear. Biggest thing for me was to be patience and let it dry.... after sitting all night I put it on and I still managed to get a fingerprint into the clear coat but was able to rub it out...

The lids worked out well as just a bit of the paint came off the chrome on the inside of the headlight - so the lids are now covering that :p

[​IMG]

..and of course I trimmed the front mud flaps..[​IMG]

Can't really go flap less due to traffic laws requiring mud flaps if the bumper is a certain height off the ground :rant: but hey, maybe it'll save someone's windshield!

I also dropped off my arctic bull bar to get powder coated! AWE YEAH! ..only 2 more mods until I lay off a bit - side tubes and a hitch step bar... lift kit'll have to wait until next year.

What'da think? :cool:

2. Sep 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    looking really good bro...congrats...

but if you want to upgrade your lights to some HID Projectors and for the fogs some HIDs...let me know...I got the hook ups...

3. Sep 13, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    HwyRogue

HwyRogue [OP] Resident Canuck

Member:
    Halifax, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport 4x4
    Arctic bull bar, hitch step, side bars (All by Avid Off Road!), BHLM, eye lids....
    and the arctic bull bar from Avid Off Road went on today! AWE YEAH!!

As I mentioned in another post, I found the easiest way to put the bar is on to take off the grille - the easiest access to the four bolts that hold the bar on... 15 mins installed.. wham, bam.. thank you m'am!

My babey is starting to come together.... still waiting on my horned emblem, tubes and hitch step.. next year for the lift...

planned mods: interior lights , arm rest, homelink, btooth...

Update: Just ordered the Pop n' Lock P5200 off ebay.. nobody gonna be takin' my tailgate! :D

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Sep 13, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Looks good man! I'm liking it!

5. Sep 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Nice............very nice!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top