1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BHLM Repair Poll

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tombiosis, Feb 23, 2012.

?

bHLM repair?

1. remove lamp, re-heat in oven and squeeze to seal

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. remove lamp, heat and disassemble, add sealant and re-heat and squeeze.

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. drill hole in housing to allow moisture to escape and put in silica gel pack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. remove lamp, blow dry inside, and add even more silicone then hope for the best

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    tombiosis

tombiosis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    2016 Tacoma Access Cab, Super White, TRD Off Road package,//OEM Running Boards//TriFold2.0 Tonneau Cover//FJ Cruiser TRD SE Black TrailTeams replca wheels!
    So I finally installed my BHLM lights on the truck, and wouldn't you know it, the frickin' passenger side is fogging up!
    Please respond to my poll on the best step to take next.
    Thanks

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Removing, disassembling the headlight and reassembling with new sealant would be the best but also the most evasive. Just reheating and squeezing the headlight assembly most likely won't work. The issue is there probably wasn't enough sealant used in the first place so that would be a waste of time. If you're going to bake them, remove the lens, use 3M window weld and press them back together hot.

If you can dry them out with a hair dryer and there are no water spots on the lens then just put some silicone around the perimeter of both headlights and hopefully that keeps the water out.

I wouldn't drill a hole in the headlight assembly, it's already leaking, why give water more places to get in there?

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    pull it off, blow dry it, put some silica packs in there, seal more from the outside. test it out again

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    tombiosis

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    2016 Tacoma Access Cab, Super White, TRD Off Road package,//OEM Running Boards//TriFold2.0 Tonneau Cover//FJ Cruiser TRD SE Black TrailTeams replca wheels!
    I forgot to mention in my original post, both headlights received a nice bead of silicone around the perimeter after they had cured...I can't figure out why just one is fogging; they both got the same treatment including all that extra sealant! damnit!

5. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    So these aren't Ebay BHLM, these are OEM headlights that you did yourself?

Check for leaks around where the bulbs plug in, make sure the vent caps on the back of the lights are all still there and secure. If you used extra sealant when you reassembled the headlight and put a bead of silicone around the perimeter, I'd guess you're not leaking from the perimeter but rather one of the bulb holes or one of the vent holes.

6. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    tombiosis

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    yup...OEM lights I did myself. I did not add any sealant to the channel, just re-used the OEM sealant. Once I was done, I put silicone all around and pused it in to the perimeter. Really bummed that I have to take the darn thing apart again.

7. Feb 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    ^^^^ THIS 3m window weld is the way to go!!!!! Jim

8. Mar 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM
    Wizzard005

Wizzard005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Kauai - Hawaii
    Fabtech 6"
    It happened to mine the other day. I went wheeling all day, and then the engine bay was dirty, so i cleaned it out with super-clean and water like i have done my whole life,... well i guess some water got in from the back side and now it fogs up :/ What a crappy design Toyota :p

Anyways, I am tiring to figure out how to fix the problem without taking everything apart, if i take it out, I am going to replace it with a new headlight assembly

These retro kits are a real pain in the butt living where it rains 23/7

9. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    tombiosis

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    well...finally had some warmer weather today, so I pulled the headlight, baked it and added window weld, baked again and used the clamps and ratchet strap idea... There was at least a 1/2 cup of water in the light!...its back on the truck now, so fingers crossed it works!
    While fixing this I had a thought...because of the fins on the fender well for air intake to the engine, I'll bet the passenger side light is more prone to leaking. I imagine that light gets pounded with rain water and wind more that the driver's side. I think people should take extra care on the passenger side when doing the BHLM mod.

10. Mar 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    j0sh

j0sh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4
    AFE Filter, TRD Catback
    You can also stick some of those desicant packs in the light to help absorb moisture.

11. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    I did the Land rover fix to the problem of condensation. Say what you want it works. Tubes draw in and exhaust air.

[​IMG]

12. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad Poser ψ(`∇´)ψ
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Any pics of these on your truck, this would really help out all the people that acutally do bhlm and retros:)

13. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Let me get home this evening and i will post one

14. Mar 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    Here ya go. Inserted the tubes with clear silicon so the wont fall out. Can create you own variation of this. No issue what so ever since i put these in and didnt have to take apart my lights agian.

[​IMG]

15. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    AstroluxAtom

AstroluxAtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunnyvale, California
    Vehicle:
    '05 v6 4.0L DCSB Offroad Prerunner Debadged
    3" Pro-Comp lift kit, Pro-Comp Tires, Magnaflow exhaust dumped at rear axle.
    Is that one tube connected? or two separate? I just did the BHLM today and i'm paranoid about moisture.

16. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Iceman1183

Iceman1183 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amit
    Cleveland Heights, OH
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black DCSB V6 4x4
    BHLM, FX-R projectors with 5000k HID bulbs, 5000k Fogs Weathertechs, Viper 5901 with Smartstart, Homertaco TRD Satoshi
    So McDowell with the smiple venting via the tubes it can't prevent fogging, but once fogging/condensation occurs inside the light, the tubes open to air cause increased venting and then resolution of the condensation more quickly? Or are you saying that the tubes can actually Prevent fogging?

To Top