1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

big brake kit on 4x4 dc

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mpleitez, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    mpleitez

mpleitez [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    ARB locked front and rear URD MAF Calibrator 3 in. lift Icon coil overs front Icon rear add a leafs airbags AFE stage2 si cold air intake DT Headers 02 sensor URD y-Pipe URD turbo Muffler
    does anyone know of good performance brakes or a big brake kit that's not too expensive:confused:

2. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy www.EvolvedFinance.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 Debadged
    BHLM, Revenge Fab Rock-Sliders, BFG TA KO's, N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella 500's, Rear Suspension TSB, TRD Exhaust, CB Radio, 100W Ultra bright headlights, JBL Sound
    I'm curious too! Those kits are way to expensive.

3. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Get some good stainless steel lines, some good brake fluid, some better pads (Hawk Performance seem popular around here-Less dust, better grip) and see how that feels (all for like 400-500)

If that still doesn't do it you are likely looking at some heavy investment in a complete big brake kit.

What are you trying to accomplish with the large brake kit?? Just a bit better feel or towing or racing or something else??

4. Apr 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    ARB locked front and rear URD MAF Calibrator 3 in. lift Icon coil overs front Icon rear add a leafs airbags AFE stage2 si cold air intake DT Headers 02 sensor URD y-Pipe URD turbo Muffler
    i tow a 23 foot toyhauler or at least i want to without slugging in high elevation

5. Apr 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm not sure what you mean by slugging in ref to the brakes....but yeah...

With a 23 foot trailer-Does it have trailer brakes?? A good controller with electronic brakes will help. A weight distributing hitch might be worthwhile if you tow it often.

And then the stuff I suggested has a decent chance of firming up the pedal feel and making the stopping a bit better.

6. Apr 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    I'm sorry i've posted 2 threads one on big brakes and the other on the gears. i'm upgrading to 4.56 gears to not slugg with the trailer loaded and need bettter braking i do have the brake controller with the weight distribution hitch. I will try what you suggested

7. Apr 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    285/70/17 Goodyear BFG KM2's, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    I just swapped in the EBC Yellow brake pads, and slotted rotors. Much better stopping! Might want to look into EBC, especially if your going to be hauling a Toyhauler.

8. Apr 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    I get it- I don't know jack about gearing beyond figuring out how to drive mine....:rolleyes:

I hope a few other folks who have swapped out pads will chime in with opinions of their choices!!

9. Apr 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    what was the cost?

10. Apr 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    thank Brunes!

11. Apr 25, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    mpleitez

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    Red Taco what did you pay to swap out to EBC pads and rotors did you do anything with the rear brakes?

To Top