1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big Green Egg XL vs Vision Classic Kamado

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by spieler, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Mar 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM
    spieler

spieler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jonesborough, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 white DCSB SR5 4x4
    3" Lift kit/265 Duratracs/SCS Stealth 6 matte black wheels, OEM White grille switcheroo, TRD skid derped white, CSjumper drtl map dome parking lights fog light bulbs, Lifetime LED headlights, **Reverse light mod, Foglight anytime Mod, Trimmed mudflaps, Fully Debadged, 3rd brake light cover by well...me, Liquid Innovations black carbon dipped front emblem, G-Tek Fab diamond plate white door sill protectors, SOS Bolt-on Sliders bedlined, MattGecko rear window security bar, Hardwired Radar Detector w/custom sucker mount, Horse Stall Bed Mat, Audiocontrol LC2i with custom mount ACR-1 remote, Custom sub box behind drivers rear seat, Mag light holder behind seat, Center console organizer , Passenger seatbelt flapper fix, Tailgate anti-theft Mod, Bed storage Locks Mod, hygieneboy ghetto gutter grille guard
    So Ive been looking at the BGE for years as my cousin has had one for almost a decade and I Cook on it like a champ every time im in Tampa. I recently ran across this at Sams. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/kamago-grill/prod11390118.ip and have been doing some research and it seems finally like this one might be a cheaper alternative for the BGE. Thoughts? Anyone have one to give a full review??

2. Mar 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i was just at LOWES a few minutes ago. they have a BGE carbon copy there. about $100 more than that K, you are looking at.

good luck.

3. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    spieler

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jonesborough, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 white DCSB SR5 4x4
    3" Lift kit/265 Duratracs/SCS Stealth 6 matte black wheels, OEM White grille switcheroo, TRD skid derped white, CSjumper drtl map dome parking lights fog light bulbs, Lifetime LED headlights, **Reverse light mod, Foglight anytime Mod, Trimmed mudflaps, Fully Debadged, 3rd brake light cover by well...me, Liquid Innovations black carbon dipped front emblem, G-Tek Fab diamond plate white door sill protectors, SOS Bolt-on Sliders bedlined, MattGecko rear window security bar, Hardwired Radar Detector w/custom sucker mount, Horse Stall Bed Mat, Audiocontrol LC2i with custom mount ACR-1 remote, Custom sub box behind drivers rear seat, Mag light holder behind seat, Center console organizer , Passenger seatbelt flapper fix, Tailgate anti-theft Mod, Bed storage Locks Mod, hygieneboy ghetto gutter grille guard
    Nice ill check that one out too.

4. Mar 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    redge_drz

redge_drz Member

Member:
    New-Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4 cyl. MGM 4x4
    I have a vision grills professional C-series for 2 years now and very happy with it. Easy temperature control and food taste awesome... searing ribeye steak at 650F or smoking a pork shoulder for 8 hours at 215F. And half the price of the big green egg !

5. Mar 26, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    spieler

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jonesborough, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 white DCSB SR5 4x4
    Nice thanks for the response. I know once I use it I will go crazy as I already bbq year round, rains, now sleet, sun, darkness...nothing stops me.

6. Mar 27, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I would also advise at least checking out the Akorn Kamado they have at Lowes and some other places as well for $299 or less. Insulated metal construction vs ceramic, but if you check on line you will have to look hard to find any negative reviews on how well it cooks (i.e temp control) as compared to the more expensive makes.

I even heard some Walmarts now have the Akorn for $288 so you can go to Lowes and get the price match plus 10% discount deal they have. (Then maybe back to Walmart for price matching and so forth as many times as you can get away with.. )

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  7. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:47 AM
    spieler

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jonesborough, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 white DCSB SR5 4x4
    Nice! ill def look into that. As of now the BGE is def out of the running after reading up on the Vision Kamado. Ill have to do further research of this one. One review said that he got rust on bvolts after 2 uses in the rain and having to leave the cover off so that concers me but I really like the price. Durability would be my only key. Ive had my gas weber grill for many many years and while she looks a little weathered and I ahve had to replace a few bits she still cooks like the day I got her so Im not a fad person, thats why I havent bought a pellet smoker, etc. The kamado style seems to be exactly what im looking for and id consider making it my only grill.

8. Mar 28, 2014 at 5:53 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    my only concerns with the Sam's grill is the quality of materials used on the vents and other brackets otherwise its pretty awesome find

9. Mar 31, 2014 at 5:20 AM
    spieler

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jonesborough, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 white DCSB SR5 4x4
    Agree. I went over the weekend to check it out. The hinges, etc are beefier than the egg which is good, the only thing I didn't like was the vent for the firebox but then again BGE has theirs patented. From forums most people reseal thew vent with high temp rtv and make their own rain vent for the top and are happy. For half price Im down with that.

10. Apr 1, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod

good to know

Products Discussed in